GoDuBois.com

1978 Pic Of Penfield Snow Storm

Bon

Guest tompepper

It is in Idaho.Rt 15 is the vetrans memorial highway.Was out there in 1969.It is a beautiful state.Tatters everywhere.

To this day, my mother will swear that the Christmas eve of 78 storm was my father's fault. That was my first Christmas and my dad ranted for weeks about having to have snow for my first Christmas. Needless to say, it snowed. I unwrapped presents in my snows it because we had no power! In or house, saying we have to have snow for Christmas is a sin.

Remember when girls wore snow pants to school?  We had to wear dresses and when it was cold we were allowed to wear snow pants under our skirts but had to take them off when we got to school.  Times have really changed!

And those rubber over-the-shoe boots that either buckled or zipped and had fake sheep fur around the top.  My grandma made me put bread bags over my shoes so they would slip on and off easier and keep my feet dry if there was a hole in the boot.  

In February 1977 our road looked like that picture on the right.  The township had to bring a front end loader out to clear it because the snow was too deep for the township plows.  I was pregnant and they had snowmobiles ready to either bring help or take me out to the hospital.  I got out but only had two hours to spare till I had my son.  Close!

I was dating a girl from Reynoldville and I left her house in a 71 nova, by the time I hit Mountain Run Rd, I was pushing snow with my bumper..  ;)

Christmas eve blizzard of '78 .... remember it well .... hung out at the old  P.O.  for a while then rode around doing donuts in   PT/ Riverside  and the Mall parking lots .... had a '71 Demon with "posi-traction" . with a good set of heavy lug winter tread tires on , it went through snow like a tank .....

Nowadays most of us girls wouldn't dream of venturing out with a few feet of snow on the road. Back in the 70s when my dad drove truck, my mom was home with us and if she needed groceries, she went to town. We had a big blue Buick Electra, and dad put chains on the tires in Winter. We lived on top of a hill on Arch Street Extension in Brockway. I can remember the snow being so high that there were just wheel wells in the road. We would get in the big Buick and mom would drive us to town. We had some pretty scary trips, but always made it--thanks to God, mom's nerves of steel, and a little hollering.