GoDuBois.com

Mildew Odor in Front Loader Washer

Shmoopie11

Guest Roger Natti

What gets the mildew/moldy odor out of the front loader washers?  I thought someone had a posted an at home recipe for it.  thanks!

Just run a load with a small amount of bleach.  Then, in the future, don't completely close the door after you use the machine --- the mildew builds up from confined, residual moisture.

If you still have the book that come with the machine look in it as it should have a process for cleaning the machine.

Ours has a special cleaning cycle where you add 2 cups of bleach in the liquid soap dispenser and then run the cleaning cycle.

We do this once a month and like Roger Natti posted we keep the door opened a couple inches.

There is a place to drain leftover water from, along with a dirt cup at the bottom of our machine. If I start getting an odor, it helps to drain it. I have, when I noticed a problem, taken a little Clorox cleanup on a rag and wipe the large gasket in the door with it. I don't use much cleaner, and I don't do it often, as I don't want the gasket to dry out. But it help kill any mold.

ok another question;  mine is a top loader and it stinks between the tub and the outer wall of the washer, and if I shine a flashlight in there it looks like muck.  Any idea how to clean that up?  Not large enough space to stick a hand in there

I had read somewhere to run a cycle with as hot of water as possible with one cup of white vinegar then another cycle the same but with one cup on bleach. I did this and the smell was gone. I tried just the bleach before and it didn't work as well. Don't forget to clean the rubber around the door with the vinegar and bleach too.

ok another question;  mine is a top loader and it stinks between the tub and the outer wall of the washer, and if I shine a flashlight in there it looks like muck.  Any idea how to clean that up?  Not large enough space to stick a hand in there

I have a top loader too.  Started to smell after we had it for 6months.  I used Affresh in the Affresh cycle and the smell went away.  I have had the washer 2 yrs.  husband had been closing the lid. Now we leave it open until it dries out.  The smell never returned but I clean it every six months anyway.

thanks for all your help but I think this washer is NOT RIGHT;  if I put one thing in it or 20 it starts to vibrate on the rinse cycle, then it shifts to lopsided then the machine starts to hop around all over the laundry room; and then it gets really mad and spouts all that brown gunk muck into the tub and it looks like tiny pieces of cardboard are in the end cycle ready to dry!!  the brown muck gunk is what stinks and it is lodged between the tub and outside

Look behind that rubber thing at the bottom of the machine behind the door.  Lint and stuff accumulates there. I can't say I've ever had a problem with odor. Hope it stays that way.

I lost FIVE $20 bills in that rubber thing! I searched this whole house, all 3 vehicles, etc. and though and behold, several months later I found the rubber thing and 3 of the bills in decent enough shape to still use.

The floor may be level but did you check the washing machine to see if it's level??

It doesn't take much to throw these high speed front loaders out of whack.

Ours had to be dead on level both ways. Front to back and side to side.

Also depending on what kind of floor you have it on you may want/need to put the washer legs on some heavy non-slip rubber.

• 2 months later...

The gasket that sits in the opening of a front loader get gunked up. If you pull it back you will see all the slimey goop. You should always use an HE detergent because it it formulated for a front loader. I am not aware of a powder detergent that is HE but maybe there is. You should call the customer service department of the company associated with your washer. They will tell you the best remedy for the gasket and model you have.

I STOPPED USING LIQUID TIDE.  RAN SEVERAL CYCLES WITH BLEACH, MINE HAS CLEAN WASSHER CYCLE & IT IS FOR BLEACH ONLY.  THEN I SWITCHED TO POWDER TIDE & NO MORE MOLD SMELL OR MOLD/MILDEW DOTS ON THE RUBBER INSIDE OF MY WASHER.  I CAN TELL YOU THIS THOUGH, MY FRONT LOADED SET IS PURE JUNK AFTER 6 YRS.  WE HAVE HAD MANY REPAIRS ON BOTH.  NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY THAT STYLE!!!  WHENEVER THEY OFFICIALLY DIE, I WILL BUY THE BIG OLD SQUARE MODILE.  OUR OLD SET WE HAD FOR MANY YEARS.  THEY TOOK MUCH ABUSE WITH 1 MINOR REPAIR.  I MISS THOSE GUYS! :(