GoDuBois.com

Laundry Soap.........

picksbughfan

Guest snellma

Only problem I have had so far is once in a while I find a trace of the Ivory soap on an article or 2 of the darks. Mustn't always disolve in the cold water. I need to remember to look for the Fels next time I am at Bilo. (Was in and out of there the other day, forgot!)

After I grated my Fel's with the cheese grater I put it in my little Black and Decker electric chopper and ground it up even finer.  After that I mixed it with the powder and then put it in my blender.  It came out pretty darn fine so I don't think I will have that problem.

It probably took me a little longer with the extra steps, but I wanted it all to be about the same consistency.

2 tbsp. total.  Every dishwasher I have owned only has one compartment - didn't know there was more than one :)

Mine washes the dishes twice so 1compartment for each wash.  I thought they were all like that.  So 1 Tbsp. each is what I'll try.  I'll let ya know.

Guest snellma

Mine washes the dishes twice so 1compartment for each wash.  I thought they were all like that.  So 1 Tbsp. each is what I'll try.  I'll let ya know.

Great.

i made some of the diswasher detergent and I like to say I am very pleased with that too!  

This homemade stuff we are making is pretty neat, it works good and we are saving some money.  This day and age you have to do whatever you can, it is harder and harder to make ends meet. even compared to last year!

When my boys were babies, I use to make my own baby wipes, I don't remember what the ingredients are now, but I am sure it is posted on the net somewhere, I like them better than the store bpught ones.  I will have to go back and loolkk up the glass cleaner recipe and try that one.    

Maybe we can start another forum for homemade cleaning recipes!

Maybe we can start another forum for homemade cleaning recipes!

I think that's a great idea.  I know I'd like that!  

I made the laundry detergent yesterday, and I have to admit that getting the Fels Naptha ground to a fine consistency was not as easy as I though it would be.  The food processor got it to the size of 3/8 inch pebbles, but it was soft and mushy at that point and kept sticking to processor sides and blades.  

I finally put the pebbles in the refrigerator in a sealed container, then this morning ran it through an old coffee grinder.  That worked great, but took quite a while since it was a lot smaller machine. Can't wait to try it out now, to see how it works and also to see if it bothers my sensitive skin...

Guest snellma

I made the laundry detergent yesterday, and I have to admit that getting the Fels Naptha ground to a fine consistency was not as easy as I though it would be.  The food processor got it to the size of 3/8 inch pebbles, but it was soft and mushy at that point and kept sticking to processor sides and blades.  

I finally put the pebbles in the refrigerator in a sealed container, then this morning ran it through an old coffee grinder.  That worked great, but took quite a while since it was a lot smaller machine. Can't wait to try it out now, to see how it works and also to see if it bothers my sensitive skin...

I have to agree with the extra forum.  Hopefully Steve will see this and make a new one.

I didn't have any problems getting the fels ground but yes, it was a process.  If you scan back through you will see how I did it.  Maybe try it that way the next time.

I used mine for the first time today on a load of towels.  I haven't gotten them out of the washer yet, so I don't know how they did.  Mine did not make any suds whatsoever but the water felt very silky.  I still have regular detergent yet so will try to finish that up first but will use it on the towels from here on out to see how I like it.  I may have to use a bit more because of our water (don't know if it is hard or soft).

• Administrators

I have to agree with the extra forum.  Hopefully Steve will see this and make a new one.

I see it and I will add it tonight or tomorrow.

If you have any ideas on a Forum Name please let me know.

the liquid is easy to make.

There are many homemade baking mix type things, will you want to include them too?? (Like Bisquik etc.) Or are we thinking more along the lines of cleaning?

I think it should all go together.  That way you will know how to find it.

Guest snellma

I think it should all go together.  That way you will know how to find it.

I agree with putting all homemade products in one forum - whether they be cleaning products or food products.

On another note, I have used the homemade laundry soap for 3 loads now and I absolutely love it.  The towels came out so much softer even after just one washing.  My first load I washed the towels from out in the garage (one had oil on it).  When I opened up the washer there was this black ring around the top.  Evidently it even took out a lot of the oil, although it deposted it on the inside of my washer.  I just wiped it out with some paper towels and it was a good as new.  I am now sold!!!  Next will be the dishwasher soap.

Well...I just got back from the store.  I got the Borax, washing soda, fels naptha soap.  I'm going to make the dishwasher detergent also.  Now Snellma...you said to fill the rinse cup with white vinegar right?  Where you'd put the rinse jet?  Does this stuff work as well as Cascade?

I didn't have any problems getting the fels ground but yes, it was a process.  If you scan back through you will see how I did it.  Maybe try it that way the next time.

Thanks for reminding me!  I found the tip about the cheese grater; now if I can find one to buy I'll be set.  I think I missed your post the first time...

Guest snellma
Well...I just got back from the store.  I got the Borax, washing soda, fels naptha soap.  I'm going to make the dishwasher detergent also.  Now Snellma...you said to fill the rinse cup with white vinegar right?  Where you'd put the rinse jet?  Does this stuff work as well as Cascade?

I haven't actually tried it yet, but my neighbor has.  She likes it.  I think someone else on here said they tried it and liked it also.  If it is anything like the laundry detergent I am sure I am going to like it.

Guest snellma

Once the new forum gets started please be sure to go back and list all the previous cleaning products so we have them all in one spot.

I am anxious to see what food types mixes people are going to post.  Bring them on.

Hey Steve, how about calling it,

Keeping it Clean & Green!  Since most of the home brewed cleaning products are kinder to the environment....

I love this idea kitty!  Only thing I would change: keep it simple by calling it "Clean & Green".  :)

I know I am a bit late on this topic, but I really think that this is a good idea... making your own detergents and such... I really like the idea about a forum just for "green" ideas!!  Thank you so much for the information, I am going to try it as soon as I get the ingredients and also pass on the "recipe" to other family members.  Keep the info coming!

Guest snellma

Or we could mix the two and call it Clean & Green From Scratch... just a thought

I really don't care what they call it but to me Clean and Green only deals with cleaning type products.  Some people have mentioned homemade food ideas and that doesn't fall under the Clean and Green idea.  That was my reasoning for liking the "From Scratch" idea better.

Guest snellma

I was also wondering... anyone have a "recipe" for dishwashing liquid... for those of us who don't have a dishwasher and have to scrub by hand....

I haven't tried these 3 but found them on the web.

Ingredients

2 Bars shredded Octagon soap

1 cup baking soda

1/4 cup washing soda

1/4 cup lemon juice

Directions

Put shredded soap in 4 1/2- 5 quarts of water and melt on stove. When melted, turn stove off and add all other ingredients and stir. When cooled down, pour in sealed containers.

Use as you would any other dish detergent. The only thing is that it doesn't suds much but gets dishes real clean. I keep a partial bar of Octagon soap by the sink to use when needed. I also use 1/8 cup of vinegar in the rinse water. Hope this works for you!

Lemon Dishwashing Liquid

1/4 cup soap flakes or grated soap e.g. Lux or Sunlight soap

2 - 2.5 cups hot water

1/4 cup glycerine

25 drops lemon essential oil

Combine the soap and hot water until the soap is dissolved. Leave to cool until lukewarm, and stir in the glycerine and essential oil. Leave to cool completely; it will form a loose gel. Break up with a fork and pour into a squeezy bottle. Use 3 teaspoons dissolved in hot water.

Update: When we got up this morning the soft gel had set even more so when DH went to do the dishes it took a bit of effort to get it out of the squeezy bottle, lol. So I tipped it out into a bowl and added more hot water to make it thinner, then back into the bottle - and voila, all good :-)

Dishwashing Liquid

3 TBS organic liquid castile soap

2 cups warm water

2 TBS vegetable glycerine

2 TBS white vinegar or lemon juice

10 drops lemon essential oil

I modified the recipe because it didn

Guest snellma

When my boys were babies, I use to make my own baby wipes, I don't remember what the ingredients are now, but I am sure it is posted on the net somewhere, I like them better than the store bpught ones.

Make sure you post that on a new thread once you find it.