GoDuBois.com

Laundry Soap.........

picksbughfan

I made the liquid awhile ago today my neighbor came over to borrow some laundry soap. I said all I have is the homemade stuff. She didn't have time to run to town so she said she would try it. She called when she got home from work and wants to know how to make it now.

I didn't have the ingredients and I needed to wash my work uniform quickly so I bought a tiny bottle of All for $3.99.

Wow...do I notice the perfume after months and months of using the home made stuff.  Hubby made a batch the very next day.

I could smell the towels washed in All out in the yard while they were hanging on the clothesline.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest snellma

Ok - I have an odor question.  Is anyone else having a problem with the homemade detergent not removing body odor???

It has been in the mid-90's here and my husband sweats like crazy.  He hangs his t-shirts over the hamper to dry out before putting them inside.  I do the laundry with the homemade detergent and the clothes get clean but the second he starts to sweat again his shirts stink horribly.  It almost has a rancid smell to it.

Any suggestions???

Guest marbek

Ok - I have an odor question.  Is anyone else having a problem with the homemade detergent not removing body odor???

It has been in the mid-90's here and my husband sweats like crazy.  He hangs his t-shirts over the hamper to dry out before putting them inside.  I do the laundry with the homemade detergent and the clothes get clean but the second he starts to sweat again his shirts stink horribly.  It almost has a rancid smell to it.

Any suggestions???

All I can say is how I made my last recipe up. I'm a member of a few other forums of women that discuss and play with recipes like this to get what they need to work properly for them. My hubby is a sweaty and stinky guy from working outside in the heat some days at the house. This recipe I made last seems to work great. It also combats the smell from his work clothes.

1-1/2 bars Kirk's Castile Soap

2 Cups Borax

2 Cups Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

1 Cup Baking Soda

Guest snellma

Thanks.  I will give the regular baking soda a try.

I love it as far as everything else goes, just the odor.

• 2 weeks later...

I cleaned my leather couch with it the other day! My dogs sleep on the couch ( it was really dirty with all the rain and them running in and out of the house) cleaned it right up and I love it for the laundry too. I have been using it from the start of this post and I will not go back to buying regular either.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tracy96

I have a laundry question.  How do you wash a new baseball type shirt (where the body is white and the sleeves are red) without the new red bleeding onto the white?

I have had good results with washing in cold water.  You might want to try and hand wash it in cold water to see if it is going to bleed.  That way you can take it out right away.  Cheer detergent and Clorox 2 are supposed to help with bleeding colors but I'm not sure how good they work with red/white.

• 1 month later...

Any suggestions???

I had the same problem too...reverted back to my Gain until I find another

recipe.

I have a laundry question.  How do you wash a new baseball type shirt (where the body is white and the sleeves are red) without the new red bleeding onto the white?

They have these things that look like dryer sheets ( i got a sample in the mail) and you put them in the washer AND dryer. They absorb the dye and prevent bleeding. Well, they WORK !!! The wrapper got thrown away so i didnt catch the make but i will definately look for them. Its not detergent, so you dont get it confused with the other stuff.

There are lots of good homemade recipes on the Frugal Living website. You should try it out.

Well, I just made another batch. The first one lasted a long time. It is such a money saver and I like the smell of the clothes. So fresh. We don't get a lot of mud, etc on our clothes and I think it gets them very clean. This last time I added a little more of the 20 mule team borax. So I used:

1 bar fells

1 cup A & H Washing Soda

1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax

After I mixed it last night and let it set overnight I mixed it up real good again before I poured it into my jugs with a funnel. I learned the last time that if I don't it is too "jello-like" to pour out of the jugs easily. This batch is perfect. So glad someone posted the basic recipe here. And it makes so much for almost no cost.

• 8 months later...

I read through all the posts and didn't see what I was looking for but I did notice that some of you have an HE washer.  Well I just ordered a LG HE front load washer and wanted to know if you use the powdered version in yours or the liquid version?  I love the liquid version and use it all the time in my current washer.  I tried the powdered version and noticed small specks on some of the laundry afterwards.  I think it's b/c I wash all my laundry in cold water.  The store employee said that liquids ruin HE machines b/c they are made with animal fats.  I know that the soda and borax are safe but am wondering about the fels nap soap?  Anyone know????

I am so excited about my new washer.  Can't wait until it comes in.  It is a 4.2 cf LG and it has a generator to produce some of it's own electric.  It exceeds the energy saver requirements by over 37%:woo:  Here's the info on it but I didn't buy it from this store.  This will save us a lot of money with my usual laundry being between 14-16 loads per week.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9283429&st=lg+washers&lp=6&type=product&cp=1&id=1218074326277

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat13506&type=page&skuId=9283429&productId=1218074326277&viewtype=energyGuide&count=0&h=387

Here is the laundry soap thread.

Just a little off topic-hope you don't mind, what were those washcloth type things you could put in the wash over and over?  We had one and it turned brown by the time I stopped using it.  Actually, my husband at the time was bedfast, and his aide started using it as a washcloth.  I tried not to laugh.  Are those still around or what are they called to order online?  I cannot stand long times to look.  Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to say, that it has been two years since this thread has started and I am still making the laundry soap.  It drives me crazy when I see the prices of laundry detergent when it can be made for pennies!  

That made me chuckle, I too noticed that this thread started two years ago.  I used to make my own

detergent but with my front loading washer I bought a box of powdered detergent that cost about $25.  

Now I know that $25 will make a lot of home made detergent but I use it a tablespoon at a time and I

think it will last me for about three years at the rate I'm going.   It will probably outlast the new washer if

it doesn't stop shaking so much.

That made me chuckle, I too noticed that this thread started two years ago.  I used to make my own

detergent but with my front loading washer I bought a box of powdered detergent that cost about $25.  

Now I know that $25 will make a lot of home made detergent but I use it a tablespoon at a time and I

think it will last me for about three years at the rate I'm going.   It will probably outlast the new washer if

it doesn't stop shaking so much.

That's what I'm doing now.  At Sears it's $19.99 and in four or five months I've barely made a dent.