GoDuBois.com

Laundry Soap.........

picksbughfan

Kitty:  I am a freak about the smell of my clothes.  I LOVE the smell of fabric softeners and detergents.  Do you know of a way to add different scents to the home brew?  I've been looking for ways to make "green" changes, and the home brew sounds like a good idea to me...especially since it saves money!  I don't know if I could do without the smelly stuff though.  My sense of smell is definitely my most keen.  I can often smell things that others can't.

P.S.  Thanks for sharing your secret recipe!  :ty:

I'm the same way. I can tell you which of my co-workers use Tide on their clothes without even asking. (Val)

I love the scent of Surf laundry detergent and Arm & Hammer has two really good ones but they make the kids itchy. They are great for scrubbing the kitchen floor.  

I rip all my dryer sheets in half. You don't need that much.

I hate the 2X laundry detergent too!  Did you notice that it says there is a line on the cap for half a load but as hard as I looked, I couldn't see the line. How much extra money are they making just because you forget and fill the cap?  A lot.  I went to Martins to get the Arm & Hammer sensitive skin and ALL the big bottle have been replaced.  I need to run to the Dollar Store or somewhere like that to stock up.

Kitty:  I am a freak about the smell of my clothes.  I LOVE the smell of fabric softeners and detergents.  Do you know of a way to add different scents to the home brew?  I've been looking for ways to make "green" changes, and the home brew sounds like a good idea to me...especially since it saves money!  I don't know if I could do without the smelly stuff though.  My sense of smell is definitely my most keen.  I can often smell things that others can't.

P.S.  Thanks for sharing your secret recipe!  :ty:

Hmmmm let me get back to you on that one...I'll have to ask the one who gave me the recipe to begin with....

Well the overall consensus is, that if the scented oil you want to use is skin safe, then try it.  I also surfed a bit, and one site recommended pure essential oils, as long as they are skin friendly.  

Doesn't sound like its been tried much, so I'm not real sure I'd try it...

Besides, the fresh smell of this stuff is really quite nice....

I'm the same way. I can tell you which of my co-workers use Tide on their clothes without even asking. (Val)

I love the scent of Surf laundry detergent and Arm & Hammer has two really good ones but they make the kids itchy. They are great for scrubbing the kitchen floor.  

I rip all my dryer sheets in half. You don't need that much.

I hate the 2X laundry detergent too!  Did you notice that it says there is a line on the cap for half a load but as hard as I looked, I couldn't see the line. How much extra money are they making just because you forget and fill the cap?  A lot.  I went to Martins to get the Arm & Hammer sensitive skin and ALL the big bottle have been replaced.  I need to run to the Dollar Store or somewhere like that to stock up.

I know!!!  Last time I went to Wally-World to purchase laundry detergent EVERY SINGLE BRAND had converted to "2X"!  Needless to say, I wasn't very happy :(  Just another ploy to make more money, IMO.  I did try Wal-Mart brand Mandarin Esscence for the first time - rated pretty far up on CR for cleaning power, scent, etc.  I can happily say that I like it.  Right now I have 5 different types of laundry detergent and 4 different fabric softeners - you might say I'm a bit anal. LOL....but, I'm one of those people (or maybe I'm the only one) who have to have a variety of scents...I don't know, it's just my "thing"! One of my friends was visiting recently and said, "So, do you think you're pretty set with laundry detergent?!".  LOL  If you'd look in my shower it's the same there too....lots to choose from.  :)

Well the overall consensus is, that if the scented oil you want to use is skin safe, then try it.  I also surfed a bit, and one site recommended pure essential oils, as long as they are skin friendly.  

Doesn't sound like its been tried much, so I'm not real sure I'd try it...

Besides, the fresh smell of this stuff is really quite nice....

Hmmmm, not sure what I'll do...I'll let you know if I do decide to try it out!  :ty: again!

Hmmmm, not sure what I'll do...I'll let you know if I do decide to try it out!  :ty: again!

Kerbear, I think if you do a little googling on 'skin safe essential oils for scenting soaps and detergents' you might find something you like!

I do have a link for Island Gain scent, its rated for soap.....so if you make the liquid detergent......

http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/candlemaking-soap-supplies/item/df-55660/-NG-Island-Fresh-(Gain)-Type-Fragrance-Oil-(ZB,-ZS,-ZG).html

Last time I got Fels it was either at Walmart or Martins.....tonight I noticed WM did not have it anymore...

Don't use soaps like Dove, or Caress, and stuff like that...stick with Ivory or Fels.   The others don't do a good job, and may make the soap recipe not function well.

hmm, this is cool people making their own soap and what-not. i do not think "going green" is a trendy buzz-word; its more like musing that, "all our ancestors who grew their own food, made their own soap, own herbal medicines, worked physically hard every day,etc etc--had it pretty much right to begin with."

You know, our life expectancies, may be longer, but thinking back, to eras long past, I don't recall hearing about so many different maladies.  Everyone worked hard, so most everyone was in good shape....now we are spoiled, by technology, and Americans are the fattest cats on the planet, literally.  

sometimes the Fels naptha is stocked in with the pre wash items( shout / spray n wash ) categoy.  no always with the other bars of soaps

I checked a couple of places, but didn't see it. Of course, I couldn't remember the name of it while I was at the store, but I didn't see anything that I didn't recognize, so I knew which ones it wasn't! Lol

sometimes the Fels naptha is stocked in with the pre wash items( shout / spray n wash ) categoy.  no always with the other bars of soaps

They have it at County Market in Punxsutawney on the bottom shelf down from where the  detergent is.

I accidently picked up Baking soda instead of washing soda......I had already put in the baking soda when I relized I put in the wrong thing ......so I added washing soda with it all.....we'll see what happens.

ok I just spent 1/2 my morning running around getting the ingredients for this laundry soap.

I had to go to wal mart so decided to get the stuff to make the homemade laundry soap  They only had the Borax, so I got that ,it was $2.84

Decided I will check Shop N Save for the rest, they didn't have any of it!

Went to Martins and they only had the Fels got that it was $1.56

Well I almost gave up then decided to go ahead and stop at Bi-Lo   and they only had the A & H Washing soda!!!  Good thing because that is all I needed.  It was $2.95

And the price of gas running all over to find the stuff.................priceless!!!

My hubby really wants to try this so I we are going to give it a shot.  I will do the same experiment to see how many loads I get, and I am betting I will get more and it will be cheaper...............hey it doesn't hurt to try right!