GoDuBois.com

Laundry Soap.........

picksbughfan

• 3 weeks later...

I made the liquid in a 5 gallon bucket and just got to the bottom. It really cleans nice and I liked the smell but was not sure about it at first (because I do so many sheets for my business) but all my clients liked it. No allergy problems either. Just made my second batch, easy to make it just takes a few minutes, it is my laundry soap from now on.

Have you SEEN the price of laundry detergent lately?  Good grief!   I'm going to try this because even the sensitive skin A & H is giving me rashes and rough spots.

I think you'll really like it. I have very sensitive skin too, and this detergent is so great, very gentle and it doesn't have all of those additives that others do. The first time I used it, when I took the clothes out of the washer, I could actually feel the difference. I know that sounds weird, but it's true. And sooo easy on the wallet. There's only hubby and I, but I wash a load and sometimes two loads of clothes each day and change bedding every Saturday morning. I wish that I would have kept the date that I made the first double batch, but I know it was a long time ago. Only 1 tablespoon per load, hard to believe, but it's true. Try a single batch to see what you think. I'll forever be indebted to KittyMommy for this wonderful recipe!  Thanks again, KittyMommy! :)

Did you make the liquid one?

That's probably the one that I would use.

No, I made the powdered version. Which I had to talk myself into, because I only used liquid detergent. But at the same time that I saw the recipe, we had to buy a new washer and dryer. We bit the bullet and got the front loaders and found out that liquid detergent isn't recommended for them, so I thought, what the heck, I'll try the powdered version. I use the old knuckle buster, box grater to grate the soap. But that's good for me, my biceps get a work out, lol!

I love this stuff! I hated paying the prices at the store and its seems the bottles get smaller but the prices get larger! I make the powder - and like everyone else I was not sure I would like it - but I do!!

Now I want to try the dishwasher type - heck that could also save me a ton of money! gee that stuff goes up in price too!

I love this stuff! I hated paying the prices at the store and its seems the bottles get smaller but the prices get larger! I make the powder - and like everyone else I was not sure I would like it - but I do!!

Now I want to try the dishwasher type - heck that could also save me a ton of money! gee that stuff goes up in price too!

I want to try the dishwasher soap, too. I was stocked up on Cascade, so until I've used it up, I'll wait.

As I was grating the Fels Naptha soap yesterday, hubby asked why in the world I would do that? When I told him the price of the ingredients and how very long it lasts, he was shocked, lol.

Guest snellma

I always have left over Borax when I make my laundry detergent.  I have just started using that in the dishwasher and it works great.  1-2 TBsp. and your dishes come out squeeky clean, and I mean squeeky clean.  I don't use anything else.

Oh boy, I had the ULTIMATE test of the home brew.  I ran out.  During the winter storm, when even with four wheel drive, I was not leaving my house!  And when I went to make another batch, and found I did not have any Fels Naptha bars.  So, being that I needed work clothes, I was forced to use, the 'back up bottle' of commercial laundry detergent.  

I'm here to tell you, I not only SAW a difference, I smelled and felt it as well.  I could not STAND the scent left behind by the commercial detergent, and my sweaters and slacks did not have that nice clean 'feeling' when they came out of the dryer.  They felt as if they had residue in them. The colors also, looked a bit dull.  So needless to say, I stocked up on all the ingredients on my next trip to town, and made a four bar batch of powder!  

Then, the home brew got another real test:  diesel fuel.  When fueling up, my hands got so cold, I lost grip on the nozzle, and splashed a bit of fuel on my pant legs.  I was thinking the pants would need pitched, but, I decided to give them a wash in the home brew.  I kid you not, the stains, as well as the stink came out.  

I mean I KNEW I liked this stuff, but I didn't realize just how much of a difference there really was!

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone buy the Fels Naptha in Punxsutawney? I couldn't find it anywhere there.

If so, can you please tell me where to look for it since I can't find it?

Thank you

they usually keep it in the detergent section

Thank you, but I looked in the whole row with a person from the office and a c.s. person at Cty. Mkt. and they said where it was is empty and there is no shelf tag anymore. At Walmart hubby and me looked everywhere bsck in those rows and there was none there either. I was hoping it was somewhere strange and we just overlooked it. I ended up buying Kirk's Castile Soap and used it. I would have tried DuBois, but I haven't had any plans to go that way lately.

I finally got my five gallon bucket.  At the paint department at Lowes a nice white one with a good handle is on sale for $2.78!

Back the isle a little ways you can get a matching lid for a dollar something.

Hubby is grating the Fells Naptha as I type....lol!

Does anyone know the price of the Fels Naptha? I just used the Kirk's Castile Soap. It is $2.89 for 3 bars. I made the recipe as follows, with help from my girls of course: 2-1/2 bars Kirk's, 2 cups Borax, 2 cups Arm & Hammer Washing Soda.

Pay $1.23 in the valley.  Fels is getting hard to find so many are making the detergent.lol!  My son and his wife use it to spray in their garden for bugs in the summer because they say it's safe for the plants too!

Where's the valley?

Where's the valley?

weedville, byrnedale, force... way north of where you are in big run(just read where you said you lived in th e garden forum!) a little far to get soap, I think.  Somewhere at the beginning of this thread, there was a place to order the fels online, it was even grated! Maybe that would help you find it.  It is the best detergent I have ever used and would hate to go back to the old stuff now...