GoDuBois.com

Production Company Films Elk in PA Wilds

Bon

On February 11, 2015 the Steve Rotfeld Production Company (SRP) was in Benezette to film an episode of the adventure series "Wild About Animals". The subject of this program was the Pennsylvania elk herd. The morning began with a report of a bull elk located in Scattertown with a swing entangled in his antlers. Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC) personnel tranquilized the elk and removed the entangeled swing and attached a radio collar around his neck. The purpose of the collar is to allow the PGC to monitor the movements and behavoir of the elk herd. The activities were recorded and can be seen on "Wild About Animals"

The filming schedule included interviews with Colleen Shanon, PGC Land and Elk Habitat Manager, and Jeremy Banfield, PGC Elk Biologist. The backdrop for the interviews was the Elk Country Visitor Center managed by the Keystone Country Elk Alliance. CEO Rawley Cogan was interviewed as part of the program at the Visitor Center. The crew then interviewed Paul Staniszewski, a local elk photographer and Pennsylvania Wilds Artisan. He mentioned that in the years that he has been roaming the hills around Benezette photographing elk the thing that impressed him most was
the accomplishments of several state agencies. The PA Game Commission, Fish & Boat Commission, Environment Protection Agency, and the Department of Conservation Natural Resources all collaborated to take this land decimated by strip mining and transformed it into a viable habitat for elk. The result is that Benezette is now a popular tourist destination with hundreds of thousands visitors to the area every year.. Additionally he is most appreciative of the hospitality of local residents that give him an opportunity to photograph these majestic animals and share their beauty with others.

"Wild About Animals", hosted by Emmy Award winning actress Mariette Hartley, travels the globe to bring viewers fascinating stories about a variety of animals in their natural environment. SRP is an Emmy Award winning production and national broadcast syndication company. Since its inception in 1985, its programs have appeared on TLC, ESPN, ESPN Classic, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, and other national and international venues.

Bill Watts, Associate Producer for SRP, noted that he was impressed with level cooperation, accomodation, and hospitality exhibited by everyone involved and that this assured the success of this project. Individuals interested in learning about the elk are invited to refer to their cable television scheduling guide and view the upcoming program.

This program will bring national and international attention to the value of our elk herd, introducing viewers to this state treasure and the beauty of this wild and scenic part of Pennsylvania.

On February 11, 2015 the Steve Rotfeld Production Company (SRP) was in Benezette to film an episode of the adventure series "Wild About Animals". The subject of this program was the Pennsylvania elk herd. The morning began with a report of a bull elk located in Scattertown with a swing entangled in his antlers. Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC) personnel tranquilized the elk and removed the entangeled swing and attached a radio collar around his neck. The purpose of the collar is to allow the PGC to monitor the movements and behavoir of the elk herd. The activities were recorded and can be seen on "Wild About Animals"

The filming schedule included interviews with Colleen Shanon, PGC Land and Elk Habitat Manager, and Jeremy Banfield, PGC Elk Biologist. The backdrop for the interviews was the Elk Country Visitor Center managed by the Keystone Country Elk Alliance. CEO Rawley Cogan was interviewed as part of the program at the Visitor Center. The crew then interviewed Paul Staniszewski, a local elk photographer and Pennsylvania Wilds Artisan. He mentioned that in the years that he has been roaming the hills around Benezette photographing elk the thing that impressed him most was

the accomplishments of several state agencies. The PA Game Commission, Fish & Boat Commission, Environment Protection Agency, and the Department of Conservation Natural Resources all collaborated to take this land decimated by strip mining and transformed it into a viable habitat for elk. The result is that Benezette is now a popular tourist destination with hundreds of thousands visitors to the area every year.. Additionally he is most appreciative of the hospitality of local residents that give him an opportunity to photograph these majestic animals and share their beauty with others.

"Wild About Animals", hosted by Emmy Award winning actress Mariette Hartley, travels the globe to bring viewers fascinating stories about a variety of animals in their natural environment. SRP is an Emmy Award winning production and national broadcast syndication company. Since its inception in 1985, its programs have appeared on TLC, ESPN, ESPN Classic, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, and other national and international venues.

Bill Watts, Associate Producer for SRP, noted that he was impressed with level cooperation, accomodation, and hospitality exhibited by everyone involved and that this assured the success of this project. Individuals interested in learning about the elk are invited to refer to their cable television scheduling guide and view the upcoming program.

This program will bring national and international attention to the value of our elk herd, introducing viewers to this state treasure and the beauty of this wild and scenic part of Pennsylvania.

Bon... It is my understanding that you made the initial call to the PA Game Commission concerning this bull elk in distress... Many thanks...

Bon... It is my understanding that you made the initial call to the PA Game Commission concerning this bull elk in distress... Many thanks...

Yes I am. I called the PGC this afternoon and thanked them for for removing the swing from his antlers.  "Blue" was behind my house this afternoon along with "Spike" and the cows.

Thanks!!! I hope "Blue" makes the cut!!! lol

Bon... I can assure you that "Blue" will make the cut because before Wednesday morning the plan was for the PGC to tranquilize and radio collar an elk.

As it turned out, the PGC was notified about "Blue" being in distress in Scattertown and decided to permit the filming crew document the rescue and collaring.

Did you ever in your wildest dreams think that you would make "Blue" a movie star?

Still miss seeing Fred while up there :(

I agree "Fred" is really missed....The last few times I went up to Benezette I saw another bull that is hanging around town and quickly gaining popularity...

He is the collared bull 2D... Since then the PGC has removed his yellow collar... I was in the woods up at the Winslow Hill Viewing Area and noticed a bull

bedded in the field.  I laid my camera bag down on the ground and moved about 20 feet.  Suddenly I heard a noise behind me and turned around to see 2D

checking out my camera bag...

10410260_593212524146864_749212009620175

included interviews with Colleen Shanon, PGC Land and Elk Habitat Manager

so thats where she went, miss her chasing us through the woods ;)  :huh:

Keep the eye in the back of your head open because she still does LE work during deer season.She checked a deer I shot two years ago and busted about 5 different people in Sabula that day.

I agree "Fred" is really missed....The last few times I went up to Benezette I saw another bull that is hanging around town and quickly gaining popularity...

He is the collared bull 2D... Since then the PGC has removed his yellow collar... I was in the woods up at the Winslow Hill Viewing Area and noticed a bull

bedded in the field.  I laid my camera bag down on the ground and moved about 20 feet.  Suddenly I heard a noise behind me and turned around to see 2D

checking out my camera bag...

10410260_593212524146864_749212009620175

good thing it didnt hook the strap on the bag and take off