GoDuBois.com

What A Day Yesterday!

Bon

What a day!!! I had a chiro appt and did shopping after. I get home at 2:30, open the door and no wiener dog!?!? I walk in and she is having a seizure!!!! I talk to her but she has that look right through you look. She is shaking & drooling. She starts coming out of it when she hears me talking to her & tries to walk outside with me. Her back legs were useless. She crawls out onto the deck then sidewalk & rolls off of it!! I picked her up & put her back in the house. Get the rest of my groceries in the house & text my hubby. Told him we have got to get the dog to the vet now!! His boss told him to just go!! By the time he gets home (Kersey to Hollywood) she is better but still whining. So we get to the vet (clearfield) and they weighed her & took blood. So we go into the room and the vet says that the lymes is more then likely the cause. The lymes test came back a bright red, so she is having a flair up. She tested positive 3-4 yrs ago for lymes. Anyhow he wants to do blood work to rule out other things. That all came back ok. So Wiener Dog is on an antibiotic, she gained back the 3#'s she lost and were $210 poorer!! We have to watch her more closely now, she had one about a month ago, but we weren't sure. Now we are!! If we see her having another one she will have to go on medication. We hope the antibiotic tones down the lymes....lymes & seizures are connected.

Bon, how old is she? My weiner dog ended up with compressed discs in his back and had many of the same symptoms.

She will be 8 in July. She has a bulging disk in her neck. 

She will be 8 in July. She has a bulging disk in her neck. 

We ended up with a ruptured disc when he was 15.  People thought we were nuts, but we opted for back surgery at Metzgers in State College. He lived a happy healthy life for 3 more years. Metzgers is an amazing place.

Through research last night I found out that Dachshunds are prone to seizures.  We have owned 5. and this is the first one to get them.

She is quite happy today with the sun shinning and running around the driveway/yard today. :)  

I never knew about the seizures. Glad to hear she is back to her old self today! :)

Several breeds are prone to seizures. Some authorities believe inbreeding leads to it. I have raised beagles my whole life and have had five that had seizures. I presently have two sisters that do. One has them about every six months and the other about every six weeks. None of the dogs have ever had ill effects from the seizures. No two dog's episodes are the same. Lay then on their side, talk to them calmly, pet them, and keep them down until they have come out of it. I had one that would seizure from the excitement of the hunt. Solved that with a small piece of chocolate prior to hunting. Vet said to medicate if more frequent than six weeks. 

My daughter's teensy little old Jack Russell has occasional seizures.  Other than the scare it gives her, the dog just seems to sleep it off when it's over.  They've become less frequent, sometimes months apart,  Vet has no definite idea what causes them.