GoDuBois.com

Japanese Beetles

steelnut

Domestic poultry and hand picking are the only home remedies that I know of but you can use MIlky Spore on your lawn.  It won't stop the ones coming from a neighbor but it can reduce the ones hatching near your garden.  I still swear by the Japanese Beetle Traps.  Just put them in an area where there are no plants you want to protect.

Haven't seen any here at Treasure Lake yet.  When we lived in town we used the traps but it seemed to draw them from all over the neighborhood.  You could see them making a beeline for the lure.  Had to change the bag often.  When we stopped putting the bag out after two or three years, we didn't have any around the house.  Not sure if that was a coincidence or not.

The more that end up in the traps, the fewer there are to lay eggs for the next year.  I think you caught most of the adults so there were fewer young.  When they are making a Beeline for the trap they aren't munching on your plants.  They have a date on their minds, not supper.

That's what I do!  ;)   Actually I put them on the other side of buildings away from the gardens.  It seems to work and I can't see any other workable alternative other than sprays which aren't going to happen here on my watch.

When I had ducks and geese I would go to the traps, call the birds, and then tear a small hole in the bottom of the bag.  The birds would eat them as fast as they poured out of the bag.  Then I would seal the hole and repeat it the next day.

I have been seeing them for the past month. We stick out one of the bags, but its the same bag from years before. We don't put in any lure. Maybe the scent is still in the bag, who knows!!

I have been seeing them for the past month. We stick out one of the bags, but its the same bag from years before. We don't put in any lure. Maybe the scent is still in the bag, who knows!!

I think that once the beetles are in the bag they put out, free of charge, the same pheromones in the lure. There was this suggestion once that you collect various pests that were eating your plants, chop  them in the blender with some water, strain the resulting buggy mess and spray your plants with it. It was supposed to protect the plant from whatever bug you ground up. So, I gave it a whirl  :D  I found that it attracted the critters. All I was doing was spraying the plants with sex pheromones. The bugs came in droves looking for the party. 

There's always something new and it's always from Asia!

This year it's the Lily Leaf Beetle, and continuing to be the Hemlock Wooley Adelgid which is going to kill off most of our Hemlocks.  All the Ash are gone or going.