GoDuBois.com

lilies

Do you mean Asiatic lilies?  These are the ones that look rather like Easter lilies but can grow anywhere between a foot or two and 4-5 feet. If that is what you have they are usually divided in the fall but I find that mine are going dormant now. Move them when the stems turn brown. You can move daylilies anytime but the best time is probably spring or fall. I move mine just after they bloom. That way I know what I am moving. I've go way too many to keep them straight. 

They are like the second pictures and for some reason the colors vary from year to year. Its like having a different garden every year. The first year they were all orange. The next there were pink, yellow and orange. Thisvyear there were some almost blood red ones in the mix. The flowers are gone but the stems are stiil green.

Genetic mutations, sports, bulblets and stray bulb leaves may be responsible for this phenomenon that does occur.  Weather can have some effect as can changes in soil PH and viruses.  Hopefully they change to a better color than what you planted.  Do dig them up and move or share them occasionally. 

If you have extra then the BUDS Gardeners can put them into the Formal Garden at Charlie's Alternators.

What you have are Asiatic lilies if they are fragrant they might be Oriental lilies (second picture). Move them when the stems go brown. Differing colors are generally the result of one or another of two causes. If you got the lilies from a friend or they were field grown there were probably some small bulbs of another color that took years to bloom. Until a bulb blooms there  is no telling what color flower it will produce. Sometimes we plant things and forget them or they may appear to be dead and years later they come back from a small bulb that survived.

Lilies produce seeds. Seeds are a genetic crap shoot. If they cross pollinate with another color lily or even if they self pollinate you can get different colors. Before they started doing genetic manipulation of plants this was the only way to get different colors or varieties of a species. So maybe you can blame the bees. 

The first picture is of daylilies. Divide them anytime. You would have to have a very brown thumb to kill them. If your daylilies are changing color it is almost certain that you are getting some hybridization when the seeds form and germinate.