GoDuBois.com

It Bloomed?

lavender

OK, I've had this orchid for years. The only way to keep it alive is to grow it in a terrarium. In this case a big pretzel container. It is called Bulbophyllum saurocephalum. So finally it blooms. The pink slug like thing in the center in the flower stem. The flowers are too tiny to see. 

Should I be excited? 

bulbo 1.jpg

Heck yes, be excited, or at least pleased.  I'd be happy as a lark if anything I planted just grew and didn't get eaten by the various critters who seem to have the desire to eat anything that isn't moving.  Woodpeckers even want to eat our house.

Now I have an idea for something to do with those big plastic containers slowly filling up the shelves in my garage.

I like orchids but I would never buy one. They are to dainty to me, and must have perfect conditions to grow.

I would say you do have the right to be happy!! You got it to bloom & that's more then most people can do.

I also never thought of using those containers for that. They get used for tools, garbage cans, & mostly rose of Sharon twigs.

Bon, a lot of orchids are quite easy to grow. We have one that was given to the DTEGC by  woman who grows it outdoors in the summer. Reports seem to indicate that most people got it to bloom and it thrives on their windowsills. When the divisions didn't sell well at the spring plant sale a few of years ago we passed it out to members. It gets a flower stem that one grower measured at 11 feet! No one has admitted killing it so far. 

The Bulbolphyllum (aka ugly little sucker) likes high humidity that is why it is in a terrarium. Most orchids wouldn't grow in those conditions because they need good air circulation. Terrariums are great for the kind of plant that needs high humidity and constant damp. I don't think I water the ones that I keep orchids in more than twice a year. They do grow some weird things that you didn't put in there though. Pictures of the slime mold or whatever it is coming soon.