GoDuBois.com

Flower bulbs

dyna99

never heard of Lungwort. will have to look it up. What did your hubby say about you climbing a ladder to cover your dogwood??? I know what mine would say to me, but I can't say it on here!!  :nono:

I suppose their are other names for it but that is the one I know. I also have a raspberry colored one that has more pointed leaves. It blooms later though.

There were different leaves, spotted, long, pointed, etc, along with different heights and colors. I like them.

Pulmonaria is extremely hardy and spreads at a nice rate.  The leaves are attractive and the pink and blue flowers are one of the earliest spring flowers.  It was used a medicine for lung problems giving it the name of Lungwort.

I frequently use plastic to cover plants but it has to come off the very first thing in the morning (almost dawn - no warm sun) or it can do more damage than good.

I have to cover my Japanese Maple every year or look at brown leaves all summer.  It involves a good pitching arm.  The Oriental dogwood froze off every year till one soil line shoot decided it was hardier.  I kept chopping off the ones that froze.  I've had no trouble with it freezing.

Once those bulbs are done flowering this spring you can dig them up and store them in a refrigerator in peat moss till fall if absolutely necessary, or you can transplant them directly back in to the garden.  They will not flower as well if they are dug up then but they will survive.  The new planting location must be prepared well.

I've never dug up my daffodils, are you supposed to?  If I was able, I'd come out and take some of yours you have to share. Here at my new house I have ONE single daffodil. lol I couldn't plant any last year because I had surgery in the fall and couldn't get out. This fall I want to plant lots of bulbs. Deer-proof ones, that is. Out here at the Lake they eat almost everything. =(

I've never dug up my daffodils, are you supposed to?  If I was able, I'd come out and take some of yours you have to share. Here at my new house I have ONE single daffodil. lol I couldn't plant any last year because I had surgery in the fall and couldn't get out. This fall I want to plant lots of bulbs. Deer-proof ones, that is. Out here at the Lake they eat almost everything. =(

You would only dig them up to separate them if they became too crowded. If they eat the daffs they are dead deer. Daffs are poisonous. We had someone come back with the tale that something at the Lake ate off either her monkshood or helebores, I can't remember which. We were duly amazed as both are poisonous and therefore are pretty much critter proof. We later found out that a dead deer was found near her house. Let the critters beware!

First thing this morning I went outside to check and all of the daffodils were frozen along with the crocus :(

About half of the lilacs were frozen too.

I love tulips and planted over 100 bulbs back about 10 years ago. The critters seem to love those bulbs. I planted all colors. Here's the weird thing, the only tulips that I have left are the purple ones, how is that possible???

I've been puzzling about that lilac comment for a couple of days now. I had to drop something off at the city building today and darned if the lilacs don't have buds on them. All is now clear. It will be a long time before mine get buds. I think I live in a cold pocket.

I've been puzzling about that lilac comment for a couple of days now. I had to drop something off at the city building today and darned if the lilacs don't have buds on them. All is now clear. It will be a long time before mine get buds. I think I live in a cold pocket.

Yep, I have some buds left, but with this cold stretch coming, we'll see what happens....

Yes, eventually they will get so crowded that they won't bloom as well.  I did an article for the Courier a few years ago on Daffodils. 

They are easy to pop out of the ground and you find a ton of bulbs.  If you spread them out they will flower more and more every year till they get crowded again and slow down.  Depending on how well the soil was amended at the initial planting and how closely they were placed then it could be a long time till they need separated again.

VP, I will deliver a lump of them to you in a few weeks or so when the foliage starts dying off. 

A Water "Scare Crow" can help keep deer away from beds but the temperature has to be above freezing.  You keep moving it so they don't get used to it.  http://www.amazon.com/ScareCrow-Motion-Activated-Animal-Repellent/dp/B000071NUS

now I know what it is, just didn't know the name. See, you teach me something all the time!!

attachicon.gifLungwort4-2012.jpg

I have this! I love it!! I thought it was another primrose, tells ya how much I know!! I will have to cover a couple plants that are flowering.   I think the frost got to my hostas....:(

I have this! I love it!! I thought it was another primrose, tells ya how much I know!! I will have to cover a couple plants that are flowering.   I think the frost got to my hostas.... :(

They will come back. Clean up the slimy leafs, and cover when its cold. Talking or singing to them helps also!!  :give_rose:

My hostas are barely out of the ground. I'd try singing to them but they would probably cover their little ears and dive back underground. I divided the Sum and Substance when we had the warm weather. It's a beautiful hosta but sun burns easily. (first pic) Looking forward to the full growth of  Empress Wu which is supposed to be the biggest hosta of them all. Got it from the Middle School plant sale. Try it! They have really nice healthy plants. I get most of the plants for the pots on old Pershing parking lot on Brady Street there. Fill in from Ted Lyons supply.

sum and substance.jpg

empress.jpg

My hostas are barely out of the ground. I'd try singing to them but they would probably cover their little ears and dive back underground. I divided the Sum and Substance when we had the warm weather. It's a beautiful hosta but sun burns easily. (first pic) Looking forward to the full growth of  Empress Wu which is supposed to be the biggest hosta of them all. Got it from the Middle School plant sale. Try it! They have really nice healthy plants. I get most of the plants for the pots on old Pershing parking lot on Brady Street there. Fill in from Ted Lyons supply.

Wow! That is one huge hosta!! I would be afraid of what could be hiding under it! I have big ones next to my porch, but nothing like that!