GoDuBois.com

Fiddle head ferns

A family member cooked some up last week. He steamed them first then cooked in pan with leaks and butter. They were very good, like restaurant good. I don't know what they look like but they are around here in dubois area.

I've read that they're plentiful in the New England states and Canada. But, I know that I read something somewhere a few years ago that they can be found in PA, it may have been on this forum. We've been pigging out on leeks, son brought us a five gallon bucket three weeks ago and another one on Mom's day, we love them! 

I've read that they're plentiful in the New England states and Canada. But, I know that I read something somewhere a few years ago that they can be found in PA, it may have been on this forum. We've been pigging out on leeks, son brought us a five gallon bucket three weeks ago and another one on Mom's day, we love them! 

In Mich we always used Mother's Day as a guide for Morels.

You may want to do this walk on Sunday:

Come to Bilger's Rocks this Sunday May 15th at 1 pm and take a guided, educational mushroom and fungi walk through and around our rocks. Bring a basket for yours and the group's finds if you wish to take something home.

Drive up over Clearfield mountain. You can see tons of ferns from the road. I don't think that there is a particular type of fern that you fry up although I suppose some are better than others.  I have the interrupted ferns in my garden and they are just about a foot high now and haven't opened out yet. Watch for ants. Fiddleheads always seem to be full of them.

I'd love to see a morel. Been picking mushrooms for many years and have never seen a morel.