GoDuBois.com

We Are Adopting!

Bon

90% of people are telling me I am making a mistake by getting a Chi. I keep reading that if you socialize them they don't bark as much. I also think if you let your dog get away with barking, then they will bark whenever they feel like it.

Wiener Dog doesn't bark unless someone comes to the door or steps foot in our yard if she is outside. She shuts up as soon as we tell her to. We have never let her bark because she wants to.

Any advice? ???

Chi Chi. Goes right along with our other kids Wiener Dog (wiener dog), LC (little cat), Finn McCool (fish) & Fish (fish).

I had to laugh at your names. This is also how we name our pets.

We have Bigyellowbabycat,  Blackcat, Fuzzycat, Kittencat  and...  the Rooster. (who is also a cat.)

I had to laugh at your names. This is also how we name our pets.

We have Bigyellowbabycat,  Blackcat, Fuzzycat, Kittencat  and...  the Rooster. (who is also a cat.)

We used to have Miss Kitty, KitKat, Dink (male wiener dog). There was a stray cat years ago that I fed & let in the house to sleep. I called him FlatHead, yes, he had a very fat head compared to his body!!

Your names put a big smile on my face!!

90% of people are telling me I am making a mistake by getting a Chi. I keep reading that if you socialize them they don't bark as much. I also think if you let your dog get away with barking, then they will bark whenever they feel like it.

Wiener Dog doesn't bark unless someone comes to the door or steps foot in our yard if she is outside. She shuts up as soon as we tell her to. We have never let her bark because she wants to.

Any advice? ???

My dght-in-law has family who have (had) several of them.  I don't recall of them being barkers.  They would come and investigate then go lay down. 

My dad had several over the years. The last two were Little Pup and Trouble! They can be trained as far as the barking goes. Biggest problem is they are very protective of usually one person. They will growl and snap and protect them. When they are tiny puppies it seems very cute, but can become a big problem if you allow it. Otherwise, they are sweet.

I was told socializing them as much as you can when they are pups helps with that.

That is the case with every breed of dog. As soon as you bring the pup home start exposing it to other people especially children as soon as possible. With the other pets we have always went a little slower introducing them. The first day or two we don't let the other pets in the same room to let the new pup adjust to its new home. After that we'll let them come in the room and check out the new pup in its crate throughout the day and gradually introduce them while we hold the new pup. After a few days of that they are usually good to go with a little supervision.

That's how we've always trained our German Shepherds and its worked for us. Little dogs???

I know!!! 3 more long weeks to go!!!

Boy are you going to have your hands full with two new kids!!

Been trying to talk the boss lady into another addition but I just keep getting that "look"...

I'll just have to do like I did the last time and take her for a ride and just so happen to stop at the place that has the puppies because I know she can't/won't refuse then.  ;)