GoDuBois.com

What does everyone use for flea control?

Gilb3314

I put frontline plus on my dog and cat, It seems to work for my cat, but not my dog. I have been checking him daily and find a couple, but last night I found quite a few so I gave him a bath and got them (all i hope) He sleeps on my bed and I sure don't want fleas there. Help!!!!!

I put frontline plus on my dog and cat, It seems to work for my cat, but not my dog. I have been checking him daily and find a couple, but last night I found quite a few so I gave him a bath and got them (all i hope) He sleeps on my bed and I sure don't want fleas there. Help!!!!!

I think fleas develop resistance. I had to go to Advantage II for my cats.

I buy both of ours Scalibor collars from the vet.  They last 6 months and we haven't seen any fleas or ticks.  I forget to put on the topicals, so I went to the collars.

BTW if your pet had fleas, you should treat your house.  If there are eggs in your carpeting or furniture, you are looking at about a 6 week process.  Sorry, but we went through that a couple of years ago and it sucks.

BTW if your pet had fleas, you should treat your house.  If there are eggs in your carpeting or furniture, you are looking at about a 6 week process.  Sorry, but we went through that a couple of years ago and it sucks.

Every floor, 100%

Guest mom of 2

I use spray stuff n put gloves on n massage it in. I also use a flea n tick collar. I have never seen a flea on our dog.

According to my vet Frontline is no longer particularly effective in this area. She recommends K9 Advantix II for fleas and ticks. It's what I've used for the past couple years and have had no problems. I'm switching to Seresto collars though since I'm terrible about remembering to put on the monthly topicals on time. Hopefully they work!  :dog:

I'm a little nervous about the Seresto too but I've heard very good reports from some of my dog owner friends so I'm going to give it a try. I've never noticed any different behavior from my dogs after the Advantix II but I don't doubt that all of these things have side effects. 

We use Advantix II, never had any fleas or ticks since we switched to this years ago. We will be using this on the pups also.

I have never put anything on my cat. She doesn't go outside very often & mostly stays upstairs looking at the world through one of the windows.

We used to use Seven on our lawn. It took care of fleas, ticks, grubs, etc. Haven't done that in years either.

Both of our dogs have extreme sensitivity to frontline or any of the flea stuff on the skin. The older dog went a little crazy when we used it and I had to bath her immediately to calm her down. She was running laps around the house and acting strange after I put it on. We are fortunate to not have fleas here for some reason, lots of ticks but no fleas. The couple times someone brought their pet that had fleas over the years and our dogs got them I bathed them every couple days with a little dawn and used a flea comb a couple times a day. Within about a week they were gone. I had read that Dawn kills fleas and i believe it does help.

I use occasional Frontline applications. 

Then to get rid of the eggs in the carpets and on smooth floors:

Carpets - Hartz flea powder shaken out and stomped in.  Then vacuum and then steam clean.

Smooth floors(tile/hardwood/linoleum/etc) - mop with HOT HOT HOT water with bleach.

Additional treatment - in the winter, I crack open the faucets then turn off the furnace.   Then I open up the windows on a few of the coldest days of the winter.   The freeze kills a lot of the fleas, eggs, and other bugs.  I let my house freeze for as long as I possible can.