GoDuBois.com

Drought, disease take toll on local monarch efforts

Bon

Drought, disease take toll on local monarch efforts

• By Eric Hrin ehrin@thecourierexpress.com

•  

58096eeab1571.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C10

• By Eric Hrin

Karen Trudo, treasurer of BUDS Gardeners, holds one of the tagged monarch butterflies that were released this year.

DuBOIS

I have not seen a Monarch all year as I recall.. Maybe to make them more Hearty??? we should mix there DNA with these damn Ladybugs. Those things seem to have some sort of survival method that I dont understand.  But then again,, maybe we should not mess with nature. When we do it always seems to turn out ,,,Not so good.

Why are there still Monarchs flying around? Shouldn't they have left the area by now? We are seeing lots of white moths also.

The white ones are the dreaded cabbage butterflies that lay on the cole crops. I don't know why the drought would have singled out the monarachs. I had more butterflies than usual this year. Lots of fritillaries , a couple of types of swallowtails and skippers.  Also bon's cabbage butterflies in the hundreds. There were others but it is difficult to identify them on the wing and I'm not about to catch them just to find out what they are. Didn't see any sulfurs or the little blue azures. I had several other people ask why there were so many butterflies this year but even the butterfly expert from Penn State could not answer that question. I did ask here at the butterfly program sponsored by Friends of the Library. Nature has its own processes and they are frequently a mystery to man. We aren't getting the dinosaurs back either. It is what it is.

We had black butterflys this summer also. Couldn't get a decent picture of it at all.

Black swallowtails? I think they lay their eggs on the Queen Anne's lace. There is also a poison hemlock down the road that can act as a host plant. We don't see nearly as many of them since the dog died. They like dog poop. Something about minerals. They would sit in the sun and enjoy the rays and what the dog left them.

Black swallowtails? I think they lay their eggs on the Queen Anne's lace. There is also a poison hemlock down the road that can act as a host plant. We don't see nearly as many of them since the dog died. They like dog poop. Something about minerals. They would sit in the sun and enjoy the rays and what the dog left them.

That explains why they like our yard. 

I looked it up & now know what it looks like. I am happy to help with this cause! There are loads of milkweed plants near me, so if Erin can pm me then we can chat.

We have also seen way too many of theses guys near us. See attatched picture.

I'm out of town at a seminar and the internet is terrible so you may want to type Monarch images into a Search Engine and check them out.

There are many butterfly species that you can find locally and raise for fun.  Monarchs are the only species that migrate.

Excellent article that reminds us that when we mess with Mother Nature there are often unforeseen consequences. Providing what are better conditions for hatching eggs or growing plants also provides improved conditions for disease and introduced predators.  Brings to mind the woman who was starting an organic farm and thought that she could raise seedlings in the soil from her yard. She probably would have been OK but she decided to do it indoors. It made the bacteria and fungi in the soil so happy that they cheerfully killed off all her seedlings. The old gardener that put her right did a lot of head shaking. 

Nature has a balance. Unset it and be prepared to intervening again and again to reach a new balance.

We are doing this with guidance from Monarch Watch, Journey North, and the Folks Butterfly Farm in order to counteract what humans have done to them.  This isn't messing with nature.  A 90% survival rate raised in a protected environment versus a 10% survival rate in contaminated nature speaks for itself.