GoDuBois.com

Planting seeds for the veggie and flower gardens

steelnut

I am hoping to plant seeds for my gardens this year. For those that are knowledgeable about it, any suggestions of just when to start the seeds? Can they all be planted around the same time, or do certain veggies or flowers need to be planted at different times?

I am soooo eager for spring to get here! Thanks for any info you can give me!

Give us a list of what you want to grow and I'm sure you will get an answer.  There are lots of good gardeners here.

Some you would have to start indoors, some would go directly into the garden and some like containers.

I saved seeds from the Black Eyed Susan vines. Also, three varieties of tomato seeds, all kinds of pepper seeds, three kinds of cukes, I know there are more, I just need to pull out my garden tablet that I save to keep a record of what I plant every year and the garden outline. Too tired to get it tonight, I'll pull it out tomorrow after work. Thanks for the response!

Here is a planting chart for zone 5 for veggies. I'm putting it in at the end because when I paste links in nothing registers after them. Check your seed packets and see if they say open pollinated (heirloom) or hybrid. The former are ok to save seed from. You might get some cross pollination if you grow more than one variety of the same thing close together. Hybrids won't come true but you will get something. It might be great or it might not. If you are just saying that you saved bought seed from last year plant away. Most seeds are viable for a couple of years at least. You are good to go on the black eyed Susan vines if those are the ones you got from me. They were from saved seed.

I've always had good luck with non-hybrid tomato seeds saved from the garden as they tend to be self pollinating. Peppers are self pollinating too. Ditto cucumbers. It isn't that they can't cross pollinate but they don't usually unless you intermingle them. Squash and pumpkins are a whole nother story. Don't save seed unless you only plant one variety. The second generation will produce weird stuff.

I like to get my flower seeds in by the middle of March ( indoors of course). That way they are nearer to blooming when I put them out. There are no hard and fast rules just guidelines. Much depends on the weather.

http://www.ufseeds.com/Zone-5-Planting-Calendar.html

I have found out after several years of failures, don't use DuBois city water. For several years, using DuBois water has resulted in an extremely low genination rate. Rates on vegetable seeds close to 10%. When I switched to stream water, nearly 100%.

I still have pepper seeds from a few years ago. I am sure they will grow. I will have to buy the others. I would like to try onions and celery from seed. I have had very good luck with celery I bought and planted. They always come up great. I was surprised to talk to people and they never heard of anyone growing celery in there garden. They are sensitive to heat and cold. I don't wrap the bottoms in rubber bands or use the bottom of milk cartons to get the white effect on them which basically does nothing except turn the bottom white and maybe a little more tender and less vitamins from i have read in the past.

I have found out after several years of failures, don't use DuBois city water. For several years, using DuBois water has resulted in an extremely low genination rate. Rates on vegetable seeds close to 10%. When I switched to stream water, nearly 100%.

Hmmm and just think you drink that water too.

I still have pepper seeds from a few years ago. I am sure they will grow. I will have to buy the others. I would like to try onions and celery from seed. I have had very good luck with celery I bought and planted. They always come up great. I was surprised to talk to people and they never heard of anyone growing celery in there garden. They are sensitive to heat and cold. I don't wrap the bottoms in rubber bands or use the bottom of milk cartons to get the white effect on them which basically does nothing except turn the bottom white and maybe a little more tender and less vitamins from i have read in the past.

I have always read that celery grows in "muck" soil whatever that is. Does it need a lot of water to grow? I don't know about onions but leek seeds have very low germination rates after the first year and they send you enormous numbers of them. They can take a long time to germinate. If you are going to start onions indoors you should probably get started real soon.

I soak the leek seeds overnight after starting them out in a bowl of hot water.  They germinate better and quicker.  They have a pretty hard coat.  You can also try rubbing them between two sheets of fine sandpaper.  They take a long time to grow to a serious size so they should have already been started...or you can do them right now for harvesting from a winter hoop house.

If anyone has seeds they want germinated the BUDS Gardeners will happily do that for you.

Here is a planting chart for zone 5 for veggies. I'm putting it in at the end because when I paste links in nothing registers after them. Check your seed packets and see if they say open pollinated (heirloom) or hybrid. The former are ok to save seed from. You might get some cross pollination if you grow more than one variety of the same thing close together. Hybrids won't come true but you will get something. It might be great or it might not. If you are just saying that you saved bought seed from last year plant away. Most seeds are viable for a couple of years at least. You are good to go on the black eyed Susan vines if those are the ones you got from me. They were from saved seed.

I've always had good luck with non-hybrid tomato seeds saved from the garden as they tend to be self pollinating. Peppers are self pollinating too. Ditto cucumbers. It isn't that they can't cross pollinate but they don't usually unless you intermingle them. Squash and pumpkins are a whole nother story. Don't save seed unless you only plant one variety. The second generation will produce weird stuff.

I like to get my flower seeds in by the middle of March ( indoors of course). That way they are nearer to blooming when I put them out. There are no hard and fast rules just guidelines. Much depends on the weather.

Thank you!

We have a well out

here, and very grateful for it!

We planted celery one year and it was great. I don't know why we didn't do it again, but I added it to my 2017 list!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you once again. I got my soil and am so ready to get going. As to the Black Eyed Susan seeds, is it too early to start them? I've searched sites on starting them from seed and can't find anything. TIA!

16486883_1758572357795059_73676127527682

I thought I would try this chart this year. 

Some things like beets you would plant by soil temperature.  Any thermometer that can reach a couple of inches underground and will go down to at least 40 degrees will do.  Most of the root crops do better at 50 degrees although technically they can go in at 40 degrees.

Thank you once again. I got my soil and am so ready to get going. As to the Black Eyed Susan seeds, is it too early to start them? I've searched sites on starting them from seed and can't find anything. TIA!

Are you talking about the native Rudbeckia type Black Eyed Susans or the vining plant?  

Some natives you can plant in the snow, but the vines are tender and need to be started in doors.  This is week 12 before the last predicted spring frost so those would go into the soil on the week of April 2 which is the 8th week.

Are you talking about the native Rudbeckia type Black Eyed Susans or the vining plant?  

Some natives you can plant in the snow, but the vines are tender and need to be started in doors.  This is week 12 before the last predicted spring frost so those would go into the soil on the week of April 2 which is the 8th week.

I saved the Back Eyed Susan vine seeds.