GoDuBois.com

Home made Laundry Soap

Trish

How about a "recipe" for this....

Kitty Mommy posted it years ago:

KittyMommy, on 10 Jul 2008 - 09:16 AM, said:

snapback.png

The powder version I would say is VERY easy, the liquid version takes a little more doing.....tell you what...I'll post both...

The Liquid version will do about 80 loads.

You need:

1 bar of Fels Naptha Soap grated.

1 cup A&H Washing Soda

1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax.

Place grated soap in a pot.

Cover with water and simmer over medium heat until all soap is melted, stirring occasionally.

Pour into 5 gallon bucket.

Add washing soda and borax.

Add enough hot water to fill the bucket.

Stir (I use a long measuring stick, but any long stick will work)

Let sit overnight to gel.

Use 1 cup per load.

You can pour this into old detergent containers or leave in the bucket.

Cover with a lid if leaving in the bucket to protect children and pets.

The powder version:

2/3 bar of Fels Naptha grated fine.  ( I use the whole bar though)

1 cup of A&H washing soda

1 cup of 20 Mule Team Borax

Put in a container that will hold 2 cups of laundry detergent. Shake, or stir well, and store in closed container.

Now, the best part:  use only 1 tablespoon per load.  OR, use a scoop from an old box of powder, you won't get as many loads, no, but a lot of folks like those handy little scoops.

These soaps are very low sudsing, so they are perfect for front loaders.   I use them in my HE machine, but I put the soap directly into the washer drum before loading clothes.  I don't like powder soap in the dispenser, its always leaves a little cakey mess!

Cost:

* 20 Mule Team Borax: $2.50 for 70 oz. - Cost per batch: .14 (4 oz needed for recipe)

* Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda: $2.50 for 55 oz. Cost per batch .18.(4 oz needed for recipe)

* Fels Naphtha: $1.24 per bar. Cost per batch: .83 (2/3 bar of soap needed for recipe) *

One tablespoon of detergent is sufficient per load of wash. If you have a high-efficiency machine, you might want to experiment with using a little less detergent for normal loads. If your clothes come out feeling stiff, lower the amount of detergent. For clothes that are heavily soiled, add a teaspoon more of the detergent..

The powder version makes 2 cups.  If you stick to the 1 tablespoon per load, you get 32 loads.  

I use this and love it, its very fresh smelling, and works great.