GoDuBois.com

Garden!

I am so going crazy waiting to get my plants in. All of the seeds that I planted myself are doing great! And now I see we may get snow on Saturday night, good grief! I just can't wait to get into the dirt and plant everything, but I do know about our May frosts, so I have to be patient. :)

Good luck to all of the gardeners out there!

I just covered the one garden in paper and put mushroom compost on most of it. Finaly had a chance to do it. looks like the bigger garden will have to wait a while.   I got a few plants already lettuce, cabbage, celery, onions and I also got some Stevia plants.

Memorial Day - that's when its safe - at least that's what I've been told all my life. I'm really new to this gardening stuff, so I am learning. I have learned this - you don't need to start beans in the house - by the time Memorial Day gets here, I'm likely to actually have beans at the rate they are growing!!

No, you don't start beans in the house!They go from seed to bean in such a short time that you can often get two crops. Stuff that needs a longer growing season like tomatoes is started indoors. I only start the squash and cucumbers indoors because something keeps eating the seeds.

I had a little garden at my old house and since we bought the new house it has a much bigger yard and I was so excited to do a garden...Until I saw GroundHogs.. :tantrum:    Now for the past 2 years I have been trying to get rid of them..I was excited all winter to finally start the garden of my dreams...However we still have one yard rat running around!  So looks like I will have to try a fenced in garden and hope it stays out of it!

I had a little garden at my old house and since we bought the new house it has a much bigger yard and I was so excited to do a garden...Until I saw GroundHogs.. :tantrum:    Now for the past 2 years I have been trying to get rid of them..I was excited all winter to finally start the garden of my dreams...However we still have one yard rat running around!  So looks like I will have to try a fenced in garden and hope it stays out of it!

Or a 22 rifle.

The 22 works but a groundhog hating dog works better. Dang groundhogs come out at dawn and dinner time. Not the most convenient to go stalking. They will dig under the fence unless you sink it. They can also climb. Saw one up a tree a couple of times. First time I thought I was hallucinating. If the fence will hold them they will climb it.

Last year they were going under the shed/garage and it is right by my house so we trapped them and thought we got them all...this one has been staying a little farther away from the buildings but I know as soon as I start growing stuff it will come up there

When we first bought our house and started the garden, things went well for the first two years for some reason. And then on the third year the deer, groundhogs and rabbits just decided it was theirs. I had beautiful pepper plants, the only thing left were the main stalks sticking out of the ground. Green tomatoes that were bitten into and spit out. You could actually see the teeth marks. Everything was destroyed :) Then we went with an electric fence. There have been a few times that a deer has tried to jump it and got in, but not too much damage. And occasionally a baby bunny will get in under the lowest wire, but they never do much damage either.

I plant by the moon phases, so by 5/24 I plan to have my beets, kohlrabi and a few other underground things in. Then I have to wait a few days for the above ground veggies. I can't wait :)

The 22 works but a groundhog hating dog works better. Dang groundhogs come out at dawn and dinner time. Not the most convenient to go stalking. They will dig under the fence unless you sink it. They can also climb. Saw one up a tree a couple of times. First time I thought I was hallucinating. If the fence will hold them they will climb it.

The perfect groundhog hating dog is a Wiener Dog!!! They will go down the hole, up the tree, or whatever he/she needs to do to get that hog!!!

For those that have a groundhog problem, if you know where the groundhog burrow holes are, you can pour used fresh cat litter down the holes and they will pick up and move a little further away. It has also worked on two different skunks for us that liked to burrow under the deck.

I forgot to add that we tried using store bought ammonia but it did not work as well.

Get some old meat and chop it up.  Put it in a jar with some eggs and milk.  The older and nastier, the better.  Let it sit for three or more days, stand downwind and dump it down the groundhog hole, then put small amounts in holes around the garden.  They will leave and not come back for years.  

For those that have a groundhog problem, if you know where the groundhog burrow holes are, you can pour used fresh cat litter down the holes and they will pick up and move a little further away. It has also worked on two different skunks for us that liked to burrow under the deck.

I forgot to add that we tried using store bought ammonia but it did not work as well.

Never heard of doing that. Will have to remember that for when people ask about skunks.

Get some old meat and chop it up.  Put it in a jar with some eggs and milk.  The older and nastier, the better.  Let it sit for three or more days, stand downwind and dump it down the groundhog hole, then put small amounts in holes around the garden.  They will leave and not come back for years.  

That is just plain nasty, I would be doing this if it was near my garden ...  :barf:

We had a groundhog at the Bathtub Bed at Charlie's and it was making a terrible mess.  We tried the bombs, digging it out, other deterrants, and this mixture got rid of it.  I dug down in several parts of the tunnel, and poured in this nasty mess.  Then we covered it over.  The groundhog never came back.  We smelled nothing once we covered it up but apparently the groundhog can still smell it months later.