GoDuBois.com

Bird Feeders

THX

I have the same problem.  Quite honestly, I haven't seen many birds in over a month and I live in the middle of the woods.  In the last week, I've seen 1 cardinal, 2 blue jays, and 4 crows.  I thought my now at least a squirrel would have eaten all of the food.

We have had fewer birds this year also......except for the doves....nearly 20 of those. We have had a couple tufted titmouse, a couple blue jays, a couple of juncos and 1 squirrel. We thought maybe the doves were intimidating the smaller birds so we added a hanging feeder. No visitors except for one woodpecker and just one time. We started feeding later this year so maybe they just found a better food source at someone else's house?

1 hour ago, THX said:

I put out A new Bird feeder 3 weeks ago with Sunflower seed in it and not 1 bird has touched it yet :huh:.  What is going on?

Is your feeder in the open or near a bush? Is this the first time you put a feeder out?

I have put out a bird feeder with sunflower seeds for years   In the past month or more  checked feeder and it was only about half empty. Don't seemed to be the birds around this year as compared to other years. I do have a red cardinal as a steady customer. Some days hardly see any birds around feeder and no squirrels.

26 minutes ago, Bon said:

Is your feeder in the open or near a bush? Is this the first time you put a feeder out?

Feeder is out in the open next to a wooded lot. I have fed them in the past, but this year is different for some reason.

15 minutes ago, Harvey Mungaknuts said:

have 2 out with black oil sunflower.  Maybe yours is bad and htey know it.

Saturday morning had  6 doves,  3 jays,  pair of cardinal, numerous juncos, and a downy wood pecker.  Plus there might have been some gold finch in there as well

The seed is fresh so I'm not sure what is going on. In the past I would go through 50 pounds a month.

all your birds must be at my house. im going thru a large coffee can a day. get some old christmas trees and set them around your feeders. they need cover in this cold weather and a place to hide from predators.

2 hours ago, THX said:

Feeder is out in the open next to a wooded lot. I have fed them in the past, but this year is different for some reason.

Ours was right next to the lilac & quince. We had to put up 2 feeders because of the amount of birds, squirrels (red, black, gray), chippies, & rabbit's. We also had the apple tree near.

When Tripod destroyed my feeders, that was the end of everything. The bushes came out, the clothesline poles got ripped out, & now there is just a rose of sharon by the garden, & the apple tree in the back yard.

I admit I miss watching all the critters & birds, & looking up a bird we dont know, but feeders are expensive.

Maybe Steve can do a poll and find out where the birds are really active, and the number of evergreens in those areas.  I did see some chickadees at the suet today, but there and never as many birds as there were before so many of the trees in this area were dropped.

3 hours ago, Petee said:

Maybe Steve can do a poll and find out where the birds are really active, and the number of evergreens in those areas.  I did see some chickadees at the suet today, but there and never as many birds as there were before so many of the trees in this area were dropped.

Sounds like an opportunity for someone to create a bird tracking app.  Something that will show recent migrations, types of birds, etc.  Much like "flightradar24" for airplanes.  Wouldn't that be interesting.

Of late, I fill our feeder and it is empty the next day. I see deer tracks all around so they must reach up to it and have at it. My feed is 8 bucks a bag and it is enough for two fills. Can't afford to do this so....

55 minutes ago, TD said:

Of late, I fill our feeder and it is empty the next day. I see deer tracks all around so they must reach up to it and have at it. My feed is 8 bucks a bag and it is enough for two fills. Can't afford to do this so....

Yes, you want to raise it to where the deer AND BEAR can't reach it.  Either can destroy the feeder and they aren't cheap to replace.  The birds will still toss some seed onto the ground.

You may also want to pick up a 25 or 50 pound bag at one of the bulk feed stores.  At the one you drive inside and they will just drop it into your car.  If it's too heavy to take out of the car, just fill some smaller containers when you need them.  In the meantime it's weight for traction.

2 hours ago, Cacao said:

Sounds like an opportunity for someone to create a bird tracking app.  Something that will show recent migrations, types of birds, etc.  Much like "flightradar24" for airplanes.  Wouldn't that be interesting.

Try ebird.com, I use it alot

Bird Feeder Question Poll requested by @Petee

1. Location of Bird Feeder? (city, town and/or street/location)  Oklahoma Salem area

2. How many Birds do you see at once?  1-2

3. What variety of birds are you seeing?   Chickadee/Blue Jay

4. What feed are you using?   Hulless sunflower / Mixed / Ground Suet

5. Do You have a water warmer?   No

6. Any other comments?   All fruit except blueberries were destroyed by freeze and hail.  No birds to speak of all summer.

7. Did you have the late freeze in 2017 that killed off shrub and tree fruits/blossoms?  Yes

8.  Did you have the Hail Storm that finished off any fruit that survived the freeze?  Yes

We got a lot more birds when I threw seed on the ground. Yeah I know it's a bit expensive doing it that way but we did get more birds. I don't know if they didn't want to land on the feeders when it is windy?

Oh and the deer come later and clean up the seed so I had to buy some corn.

On 1/3/2018 at 7:42 PM, Pompeii said:

Bird Feeder Question Poll requested by @Petee

1. Location of Bird Feeder? (city, town and/or street/location) country

2. How many Birds do you see at once? 20-40

3. What variety of birds are you seeing?blue jays, chickadees, dark eyed juncos, pine sisken, americqn tree sparrows, American goldfinch, fox sparrow, song sparrow, white breasted nuthatch, hairy woodpecker, Downey woodpecker, red bellied woodpecker, doves, sharp shinned hawk (looking for breakfast), tufted titmouse, northern cardinal

4. What feed are you using?black oil sunflower, nyjer seed, suet cake

5. Do You have a water warmer? Yes (homemade)

6. Any other comments?

BEST TO HIT QUOTE AND FILL IN ANSWERS