GoDuBois.com

WHAT KIND OF WEED IS THIS?

Zilch1

Hi all. Can someone please tell me what kind of weed these are? I am looking for a way to kill them to the ground just in my gravel driveway. They have invasive roots that grow in all directions generating more plants. They grow anywhere from 2 inches up to about 10 per day.They have hollow stocks and a mower won't cut them. I actually use a machete to cut them down. I am getting too old for that.Any help would be appreciated.

SANY1318.JPG

SANY1319.JPG

I think this is the same thing I have growing. I've wondered what it is as well. It grows very tall and out of control...ive cut with trimmers down to the ground. And always grows just as tall or even taller🤔

20180612_135329.jpg

20180612_135342.jpg

If it has segments like bamboo and if it reddish where it comes out of the ground, you have been gifted by Japanese Knotweed.  It is nearly impossible to get rid of unless you are always diligent not to let it develop any leaves.  Round Up won't knock it down it for long.  Even one leaf that unfurls successfully adds carbs to the roots.

You will see it growing along creeks and it destroys all native plants in its path.  I have given information to quite a few people on how to get rid of it, and a burner applied at the first sign of growth works well, but it takes a while to starve out the roots.  It must use up its store of carbs in the roots before it will not resprout.  You can try.

The link has excellent information, but it's for a company that professionally removes it.  You don't need them.

http://www.thejapaneseknotweedcompany.com/how-to-kill-japanese-knotweed/

If I found this on my property, I would cut it down to a few inches tall and then manage it with burning.  Since we have a well, no chemicals on my property.  It would take about three years of careful monitoring to destroy it.  It is on the rampage all over the area and nothing is being done to officially control it.  I'd say to put those seeking jobs on it.

Thanks for the help.I  wanted to see if this would work.All I want to do is kill it in my gravel driveway. If I wet down the plants and threw a black powder on the plants. Something non toxic like charcoal dust or coal dust with my theory that the absorbed heat from the sun woudf fry the plant enough that I could mow it.

The only way to get rid of an invasive plant that multiplies by rhizomes is to cut it back and put a tarp over it. It must have no holes in it and preferably be black. The heat helps kill the rhizomes. Spray any remaining foliage with glyphosate weed killer and watch the edges of the tarp for more plants creeping out. Kill them! Eventually the rhizomes will die. Whatever you do don't let it flower. 

1 hour ago, Zilch1 said:

Thanks for the help.I  wanted to see if this would work.All I want to do is kill it in my gravel driveway. If I wet down the plants and threw a black powder on the plants. Something non toxic like charcoal dust or coal dust with my theory that the absorbed heat from the sun woudf fry the plant enough that I could mow it.

This is not burning with a bonfire, it is a tool that you rent or buy.  It hooks to a propane tank and only sears one spot.  Charcoal dust will not work, sorry.  Also, it will come up through cardboard and some tarps.  A hatchet is probably the best and simplest way of chopping it down.  Do not send it to the landfill or let it lay around anywhere.  You have to burn it in an incinerator or on an open fire.61Uesf6jYFL._SL1200_.jpg

There is usually more than one way to do almost anything. There is no "my way or the highway" in gardening.  As Lyndsey pointed out sometimes it is a big rock.  Personally, I usually start with the simplest form and work my way up the scale.

I grow the variegated form of Japanese knotweed,  Fallopia japonica 'Varigata", as an ornamental. It is a very pretty plant. I keep it under control by growing it in the shade. It doesn't grow as big or as rambunctious. 

If no other method works you could try eating it. 

Japanese Knotweed Crumble
Prepare a knotweed compote (similar to stewed rhubarb) by cutting tender spring
knotweed shoots, no longer than about 12"-18" (the thicker, the better; leaves removed)
into inch chunks. Steam till soft -- about 10 minutes. Add sweetener to taste -- perhaps
1/4 c. sugar per 2-3 cups of steamed knotweed -- and a squeeze of lemon juice. A drop of
red food coloring will give it a very appetizing look.
Mix equal parts flour and oatmeal, say 1/2 c.each, with a bit of cinnamon, some sugar and
a dash of salt. Cut in butter, 1/3 stick at minimum and more if you like a richer crumble.
Butter a baking dish. Put in the knotweed, cover with crumble mixture and bake in a
medium hot oven, 350 degrees, for a half hour or so. As you notice, measurements, times
and temperatures are variable. This basic technique is flexible and adaptable – just like
knotweed! Have fun, use up our invasives, and get something for nothing

1 hour ago, Petee said:

This is not burning with a bonfire, it is a tool that you rent or buy.  It hooks to a propane tank and only sears one spot.  Charcoal dust will not work, sorry.  Also, it will come up through cardboard and some tarps.  A hatchet is probably the best and simplest way of chopping it down.  Do not send it to the landfill or let it lay around anywhere.  You have to burn it in an incinerator or on an open fire.61Uesf6jYFL._SL1200_.jpg

I have several of these

image.png