GoDuBois.com

D.E. HIBNER

23 hours ago, Pompeii said:

Must be a misprint

How about an eye of an eagle. Never heard that expression on describing a checkers player though.

I thought that too, but I got a few hints from obscure literature that a 'heagle' has connections to board games in the slang of that era...…….will keep working on it...

Will items such as this, be representative of your book content (question is meant in a very positive way)?  If so, I would not rush to publish, but rather look for guidance from a national firm, as you may have something that interests far more than local people (sort of in the "Bathroom Reader" genre). 

In preparation to write, what other books are you reading or what other books have influenced you in this pursuit? 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:18 AM, Ignatius said:

Will items such as this, be representative of your book content (question is meant in a very positive way)?  If so, I would not rush to publish, but rather look for guidance from a national firm, as you may have something that interests far more than local people (sort of in the "Bathroom Reader" genre). 

In preparation to write, what other books are you reading or what other books have influenced you in this pursuit? 

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner---------ever since these posts are not listed in general posts, I forget to check....

All things athletic in the period leading up to just before 1890 will be included in the work, as long as it pertains to the 'DuBois Area'.  Certainly any quirky slang of that time will be included as it relates to sports/contests, etc

Thanks for the advice---that is a great idea.      I never find the time or energy I desire as I seem to put most of it into coaching/grandchildren at the moment, so this work looks like it will not be finished until late next year.  It is a challenging topic to begin with, but worth the time,  I feel......

I have not been influenced by any particular book for this topic, and all prior history books written of the DuBois area are of very limited help, with the exception on a few insights of the 'movers & shakers' of that time who pushed for the incredible race track we had, some baseball teams, and the epic fairs held here, etc...

36 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner---------ever since these posts are not listed in general posts, I forget to check....

All things athletic in the period leading up to just before 1890 will be included in the work, as long as it pertains to the 'DuBois Area'.  Certainly any quirky slang of that time will be included as it relates to sports/contests, etc

Thanks for the advice---that is a great idea.      I never find the time or energy I desire as I seem to put most of it into coaching/grandchildren at the moment, so this work looks like it will not be finished until late next year.  It is a challenging topic to begin with, but worth the time,  I feel......

I have not been influenced by any particular book for this topic, and all prior history books written of the DuBois area are of very limited help, with the exception on a few insights of the 'movers & shakers' of that time who pushed for the incredible race track we had, some baseball teams, and the epic fairs held here, etc...

Do the first for the enjoyment of local history, and if it moves you, do one for money!  Back when this thread first started, while killing time in a hotel room, I read a John Grisham novel by the name of "Callico Joe".  The book was not in Grisham's normal lawyer style, but was a fictional work written around factual sports figures.  In this case it was about baseball players from the late 70's to early 80's, and ignited memories I had forgotten.  My point is, Grisham took a book of sports figures & facts, then tied all together around a fictional character.

But back to your original idea, it sounds very interesting and one I would definitely buy.