GoDuBois.com

Sliding Door Doesn't Unlock Sometimes

Petee

We have a 2008 Toyota Sienna van with an automatic door on the passenger side.

The sliding door (not automatic) on the driver's side sometimes does not open from the inside or the outside.  I've tried oiling everything I can reach, unlocking it several different times from both inside and outside, I've checked the Child Safety Lock, and everytime I think it's fixed, it does it again.  I've even tried starting the van, and then locking and unlocking the door again.  Something that is supposed to be part of the unlocking mechanism fails on occasion.  Any ideas?

I decided to try one more time to find an answer on the internet.  This guy thought he found the problem, but then it wouldn't open consistently.  It's worth the watch just for the chipmunk voice!  It still didn't show a good answer.

I decided to visit our mechanic today about the door.  They called the dealership who quoted over $600 for the part, 2009 Toyota Sienna left side rear sliding door handle lock actuator, which did not include the cables.  I found the same part with cables on the internet for $126.  How do people pay such inflated prices?