GoDuBois.com

DuBois Joining D9 Large School Division

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Parents are out of their freaking minds if they went to the SCHOOL BOARD about playing time. 

It doesn't break my heart one bit.  I just wish people would understand that yes, our local private schools do recruit just like the big city ones.  Everybody believes ours are truthful because they a

First off, lets not attack the kid himself.  He does not call the plays.  He only does as he is instructed to do by his coaches.  These children are not professionals, so until then, it is not fair to

Posted Images

1 hour ago, YourBoy said:

Parents are out of their freaking minds if they went to the SCHOOL BOARD about playing time. 

If they had a problem. pay tuition and send them to Central Catholic and they could play for Brockway--if the kids have any talent. Thats the problem a big school that gets out 50 or more kids.  If you arent winning and still aint playing why sit the bench. Welcome to today's world. When they are young everyone plays and gets a trophy.

2 hours ago, Lupara said:

A mother approached a basketball coach I know asking "Why isn't my son playing ?" 

His response..."You need to ask him that in the summer."

Maybe a little less sarcasm, however the coach is making a statement.  It's a hard pill to swallow when someone's child is gets passed over because of ability and knowledge of the system.  Coaches cannot hold the summer practices against you, however you fall behind on skill and knowledge of the offense/defense if you are not there.  And if you are not there, someone else is.  Unfortunately, that player got passed over by a better work ethic.

I learned, the hard way, to never use sarcasm or joking when it comes to discussing a player with a parent.  Facts and facts only.  Be direct and invite them to a practice to check things out for themselves.  Parents usually appreciate the open and honest communication.  Most importantly, be open and honest with each player.  Let them know what you're looking for...areas where they are strong and areas where they need to improve.  You do that, no player will ever question why.

With zero internal knowledge of the Marshall situation, I would bet communication is the issue.  It sounds easy, in reality it's difficult to execute.

2 hours ago, L8RG8R said:

Maybe a little less sarcasm, however the coach is making a statement.  It's a hard pill to swallow when someone's child is gets passed over because of ability and knowledge of the system.  Coaches cannot hold the summer practices against you, however you fall behind on skill and knowledge of the offense/defense if you are not there.  And if you are not there, someone else is.  Unfortunately, that player got passed over by a better work ethic.

Its not even if the coaches are there.  You can not expect to walk into a sport like basketball treating it like a 3 month Winter sport and be good unless you do put in some off season work.  I dont care how good an all around athlete you are. That tells me you settle for good in all your sports rather than  excellent or better than you really could be in one or two. That doesnt mean only one or two nights of Summer Basket ball league.  That means a few hours a day  dribbling and then shooting. Or go to a camp.   But the only exception would be if the coach is playing the just "good" 3 or 4 sport star  based on reputation if the other kid has put he time in the sport.. I have seen that also.  Many 3 sport local superstars who could have been good at a single sport but fizzled after high school. But Mom and Dad like the attention. I have coached in the past and I hate to say if I saw you put the effort and time in I gave them a full chance to play over some 3 or 4 seasonal sport walk in. Then of course I would get approached.   The problem today is you may have in the Summer one day that has football conditioning, baseball game, and then a basketball league game. Or you now have  two traveling  sport teams that might play on the same night. As a former Jr High coach I was always taught them there was life after sports. I told them not everything is free. Get any  summer job doing something a couple hours a day even painting or mowing the grass. Earn your way.( They came up to me and said they liked having that extra money for themselves or to help the family) Only 5% of all athletes get scholarships. Most of my players later became productive adults in whatever they chose even though at the time they just rolled their eyes.. Ive been out of coaching for almost 20 years. Why? I saw the culture change with parents(and coaches) and everybody started to get trophies whether you were a winner or 4 th place.

PS That goes for Wrestling too. Just look at the successful kids from Brookville, Dubois, and Clearfield who get scholarships. They dont play more than 2 sports if that and concentrate on what they are excellent. Congrats to them. They are disciplined and know the end goal.

On 11/25/2019 at 9:39 AM, Lupara said:

I'd have to disagree there. Well sure it carries over to next season. Those age groups combine at Varsity as well. The rivals in the midget championships -Burg/Ridgway. The one loss by the JV team- Ridgway. Rigdway's feeder system is outstanding and it shows at the Varsity level.

Another thing I won't agree with is the notion when you play larger schools in the regular season, you'll excel at states. Ridgway is the smallest school in the Large School League. They do well.  They haven't gotten past the first round of states. No assurance you excel when your'e in the final eight.

Looking at the PA State Little League championships listed at the city park, the DuBois baseball must have at least five or six state championships, right? 

Yeah, it doesn’t work like that unfortunately. 

A good feeder program with consistent coaching and the same techniques and plays being called as varsity will definitely help. 

I posted about Southern Columbia and how it runs. There’s no doubt it works. Berwick football was the same way in the 80’s and 90’s under Coach Curry. A town of 10,000 had over 5,000 people at home football games and they won numerous state championships and even a couple national titles. They had players go D1. Ron Powlus started at quarterback for Notre Dame. 

Someone mentioned that DuBois isn’t a football town. I’d go a step further and say DuBois just isn’t a sports town period. There’s no school spirit whatsoever in town. Wendy’s puts up players of the week (football) on their marquee. That’s it. I haven’t noticed any other business mention any other sports team on their signs. 

The girls Volleyball team lost one game to Warren during the season. They did win the D9 championship. (As previously mentioned, with only like 2 other schools in their class, it’s really not that hard to be D9 champs for DuBois). But with that being said, they played the local teams and got beat handedly in the playoffs to Thomas Jefferson.  

Playing a soft D9 schedule next year should make the football team win at least 7 games, but once they get out of D9 in the playoffs, it’ll be like it has been the past 25 years with them losing most likely. 

Hopefully some day they’ll get over that hump. 

Watch these videos about Berwick. This is the culture of winning programs.

I think Dubois would do just as well in the Mountain League as they would in the D9 Large with the talent coming up. Two or three tams test Clearfield each year as will the D9 league vs the Beavers. Maybe four teams will test them. 

Have some success. Success should go a long way toward building some community support which is a critical element.

5 hours ago, gopsu said:

Someone mentioned that DuBois isn’t a football town. I’d go a step further and say DuBois just isn’t a sports town period. There’s no school spirit whatsoever in town. Wendy’s puts up players of the week (football) on their marquee. That’s it. I haven’t noticed any other business mention any other sports team on their signs. 

The girls Volleyball team lost one game to Warren during the season. They did win the D9 championship. (As previously mentioned, with only like 2 other schools in their class, it’s really not that hard to be D9 champs for DuBois). But with that being said, they played the local teams and got beat handedly in the playoffs to Thomas Jefferson.  

I would argue that it's less about DuBois being a sports town and more about poor marketing.  How does DuBois athletics communicate about their teams?  Mostly, they rely on the Courier.  A majority of the public does not read the Courier.  We are living in a social media world.  DuBois athletics is on those social platforms, but their information is vague and not timely.  

How can I attend an event if I don't know about it?  

On 11/25/2019 at 4:45 PM, jaman said:

If they had a problem. pay tuition and send them to Central Catholic and they could play for Brockway--if the kids have any talent. Thats the problem a big school that gets out 50 or more kids.  If you arent winning and still aint playing why sit the bench. Welcome to today's world. When they are young everyone plays and gets a trophy.

Playing time is an issue.  I think most parents realize their kid's talent level, but when you have a blowout game, whether winning or losing, and starters are still on the field with limited time on the clock, you have to wonder the intent.  I was at a local soccer game this fall.  The winning team won by 5 or 6 goals.  While leaving, I heard a parent remark about the season being half over and her kid has yet to even see any playing time. Her son's team had won a lot of games by significant margins.  IMO, from a coaching standpoint, not playing kids at all is not good for team morale or parental support.  And it does have an effect of future players.

While their are a few kids that simply like being on a team whether they play or not, most kids do want to get on the field of play at some point.  If you are putting in the time, working hard, and still sitting the bench with no playing time, it is probably time to evaluate if that time and hard work is really worth it, especially if you could be putting that time into something that is actually paying you back dividends, as in trying a different sport, taking up a new hobby, getting a part-time job, or just focusing on academics.

27 minutes ago, Illiterate said:

Playing time is an issue.  I think most parents realize their kid's talent level, but when you have a blowout game, whether winning or losing, and starters are still on the field with limited time on the clock, you have to wonder the intent.  I was at a local soccer game this fall.  The winning team won by 5 or 6 goals.  While leaving, I heard a parent remark about the season being half over and her kid has yet to even see any playing time. Her son's team had won a lot of games by significant margins.  IMO, from a coaching standpoint, not playing kids at all is not good for team morale or parental support.  And it does have an effect of future players.

While their are a few kids that simply like being on a team whether they play or not, most kids do want to get on the field of play at some point.  If you are putting in the time, working hard, and still sitting the bench with no playing time, it is probably time to evaluate if that time and hard work is really worth it, especially if you could be putting that time into something that is actually paying you back dividends, as in trying a different sport, taking up a new hobby, getting a part-time job, or just focusing on academics.

Regardless of the 3 point shot in basketball , with 2 minutes to go  and you are winning ordown by 15 or more and start to foul people, and dont empty your bench , I have no time for that nonsense.  If you are winning or getting beat  by 20 or more with less than 4 minutes  left you should turnover your whole bench for 2 to 3 minutes each. Its nonsense when going into the last quarter winning losing by 25 or more that you dont bench your 1 st string with 4 or less minutes. I dont buy the fact, "well we working toward the next game".  BS

On 11/29/2019 at 12:14 PM, jaman said:

Regardless of the 3 point shot in basketball , with 2 minutes to go  and you are winning ordown by 15 or more and start to foul people, and dont empty your bench , I have no time for that nonsense.  If you are winning or getting beat  by 20 or more with less than 4 minutes  left you should turnover your whole bench for 2 to 3 minutes each. Its nonsense when going into the last quarter winning losing by 25 or more that you dont bench your 1 st string with 4 or less minutes. I dont buy the fact, "well we working toward the next game".  BS

Too many coaches like to play the game of 'pad the stats', often at the urging of the kid and the parents.  The thought process is all those extra stats will get them highly recruited.  Any college coach will consider the competition, not just some seemingly astonishing stats.  Let's face it, for every outstanding D9 team in ant sport, there are at least 3 or 4 middling to very bad teams.

On 11/25/2019 at 2:53 PM, Cacao said:

It's true.  It takes any coach about 15 minutes to realize that 99% of parents are out of their minds.  

Probably not the best attitude to have.  I would be willing to bet most successful programs and coaches have managed to cultivate support from not only players, but also from parents.  Alienating and isolating parents is a sure-fire way to trash your program regardless of wins and losses.

13 hours ago, Illiterate said:

Too many coaches like to play the game of 'pad the stats', often at the urging of the kid and the parents.  The thought process is all those extra stats will get them highly recruited.  Any college coach will consider the competition, not just some seemingly astonishing stats.  Let's face it, for every outstanding D9 team in ant sport, there are at least 3 or 4 middling to very bad teams.

This is a safe bet in any district in the commonwealth. 

20 hours ago, Illiterate said:

Probably not the best attitude to have.  I would be willing to bet most successful programs and coaches have managed to cultivate support from not only players, but also from parents.  Alienating and isolating parents is a sure-fire way to trash your program regardless of wins and losses.

It's not an "attitude", it's a reality.  "Alienating and isolating"!?  Man, you read waaaaay too much into my comment.  Then again, you are "Illiterate".

On 11/30/2019 at 3:49 PM, Mahatma Kane Jeeves said:

DuBois ends up winning a football game this year.  Erie used an ineligible player and forfeited the game.

http://d9sports.com/erie-high-forfeits-sept-27-2019-game-to-dubois/

I wouldn’t consider that a victory unless they fielded the Pittsburgh Steelers against the Beavers. In a game which the Beavers lost by like 50+ points, I highly doubt this one ineligible player made that much of a difference. If memory serves me right, that’s the game where the other team started its JV team and put its starters in at halftime. 

On 11/27/2019 at 1:39 PM, Cacao said:

I would argue that it's less about DuBois being a sports town and more about poor marketing.  How does DuBois athletics communicate about their teams?  Mostly, they rely on the Courier.  A majority of the public does not read the Courier.  We are living in a social media world.  DuBois athletics is on those social platforms, but their information is vague and not timely.  

I have a freshman and a junior. They both say football games are boring and a lot of kids don’t bother going to them. 

I will say that I find the games myself to be fun to watch, but the atmosphere is lacking. Unless you’re in the student section near Martins, you rarely hear or see the cheerleaders or the band. It’s awfully quiet, minus the occasional parent yelling for their kid out on the field. 

I think it has a lot to do about the football stadium and how it’s built. The bottom row is high off the field and there isn’t much space between the sidelines and the seats. So because of that, you cannot see the cheerleaders. Also, the band needs to be seated towards the 50 yard line and player louder and more frequent. 

I played football at my high school and I remember the crowd and band being into it. Our band played all of the time, maybe the DuBois band is told it can’t?

Another thing I noticed, kids aren’t allowed to walk around the field. If they’re forced to sit and only get up to use the bathroom or grab something to eat, no wonder they’re bored. Back in the day, kids were walking around the field throwing confetti and socializing with one another while having a good time. 

I agree about the paper. I haven’t read the Courier in years. If I want to know anything, D9sports.com is the place to go. DuBois had a decent football website when Gabe French was playing. It was up to date then, so I’m guessing a parent kept on top of it back then. Now it’s not that great. The DuBois district page is not user friendly and still has photos on it that are not from DuBois. A lot of times I just Google something like DuBois baseball or DuBois volleyball and click on maxpreps.com to get information. 

You would think in today’s digital age, the school would have a club where students were in charge of creating and maintaining the school website sports teams or at least assist with them. 

I agree with all of your points.  Today's teenagers were born into a world of constant stimulation.  They become uncomfortable or anxious without hearing/seeing something.  Give them more band, more cheers, and more room to wonder.  

YES..a school club should be handling the schools social media.  Central does this (cardinalchatter.com).  Have the kids report on their classmates.  You know, like how the old journalism club did in the past.  

16 hours ago, Cacao said:

It's not an "attitude", it's a reality.  "Alienating and isolating"!?  Man, you read waaaaay too much into my comment.  Then again, you are "Illiterate".

You state 99% of parents are out of their minds than add above it is a reality.  What can one read into your statements other than it is not even worth your time conversing with parents?  Viewing 99% of parents in your reality as out of their minds exhibits a preconceived judgement of the parents, which is a bad attitude on your part, especially considering those 'out of their mind' parents are entrusting their children to you.

As far as being 'illiterate', that is merely a self-deprecating term.  

On 11/27/2019 at 1:39 PM, Cacao said:

The Courier has transitioned to more of a regional paper than a local paper.  Sports coverage is for a lot of teams, attempting to cover nearly all of D9 when it comes to sports.  The result is rather thin coverage for a majority of teams, with the premier (winning) teams getting most of the coverage. When I pick up a paper, I want to read about the local players and teams and see them headlined, win or lose.  Living here in DuBois, I am not much interested in reading big articles about Kane, Coudersport,  or Clarion.  I want to see DuBois, Brockway, DCC, and maybe some Punxsy, Clearfield. and Brookville.   My kids and and the kids of my friends, coworkers, and relatives play/played for those teams. For a year or 2, the Courier had Senior Spotlight type articles on individual local players, but that seems to have gone to the wayside. I get that is not how the Courier operates and needs  a wider reach to stay in business, but why the heck am I going to buy a paper for sports when a bulk of the coverage is for teams and players that do not interest me?

The other issue I see is too many sports writers tend to be more critical than necessary of youth and high school athletes.  It is as if writers think being critical somehow makes them a better and/or more insightful sports writer. At one time, it used to be writers would state 'then ball carrier for Team A fumbled at his own 15, which was recovered by Jim Bob and returned for the winning TD for team B, but today we have to name the fumbling player as in "Billy Bam, while untouched, fumbled  when he tripped making a cut, which was recovered and returned for an easy winning touchdown by Jim Bob."  Even in Little League all-star games, you read stuff like "Tommy Boy let a slow roller go between his legs, extending the inning which allows the other team to score an additional 3 runs."  I get it the one version is more factual, but I don't think you have to call out (and possibly publicly embarrass) on a consistent basis 10-18 yo kids playing a game the best they can.  In this respect, social media can even be worse.  People hiding behind a fake name think they can say the worst and whatever they want with total impunity. In either case, its tough to build and team excitement and loyalty if a bulk of the coverage is highly critical and negative.