GoDuBois.com

Bird feeder

Paperboy

I have a squirrel proof feeder that works very well but unfortunately it also discourages my larger birds-does anyone have any recommendations for a good feeder for the heavier bird. I’ve just been spreading extra seed on a block wall but the deer will clean that up pretty quickly 

6 hours ago, Paperboy said:

I have a squirrel proof feeder that works very well but unfortunately it also discourages my larger birds-does anyone have any recommendations for a good feeder for the heavier bird. I’ve just been spreading extra seed on a block wall but the deer will clean that up pretty quickly 

If you have a pole or lopped off tree trunk, then put a covered bird feeder on top of it but make sure you can reach it to fill it.you can make an upside down metal cone that the squirrels cannot climb up over.  You can also hang the bird feeder on a pole that you can grease.  Bigger birds seem to like flat feeders that they can stand in and eat.  If you have a house with metal siding you might be able to hang it out of the window, or run a rope from the window to a tree up into which you can haul a flat bottom feeder.  If the house is wood, then they will just climb the house and onto the rope.  Squirrels don't like hot red pepper, but it doesn't seem to bother the birds.

Check out this link for lots of ideas. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Stopping+squirrels+from+eating+the+birdseed