GoDuBois.com
  • LOW PRICES
  • LOW PRICES
  • LOW PRICES

Consolidation

Absolutely!  THERE ARE NO PROMISES THAT IT WOULD BE BETTER!  In fact it could be worse.  People who think they are going to GET something are misinformed.  Best scenario is that nothing changes.

DuBois and Sandy are already growing at a steady controllable pace that we can all handle.  Generations to come will definitely benefit, but you will never get the quantity of huge opportunities as you would in a place like Silicon Valley.  The opportunities are here now, kids just have to work hard and get educated.  Same as anywhere in the world.  The trade off for having it all available  in your backyard is that you have no backyard!  Peace goes out the door and it's dog eat dog.  Think of what you are willing to lose if this area grows out of proportion to its ability to balance liveability with out-of-control legislation in the name of supposed growth.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone is entitled to their views, opinions, and vote. From what I have seen, most people who are diehard or longtime residents of the City or TWP are against it. They seem to be set in their way wi

Wonder what the stats are of people who grew up in DuBois but now live in Sandy (and vice versa).  Must be an outright scandal if a City dweller marries a Sandy dweller!!    Whatever Gotham Duboi

Sandy and DuBois are no different than thousands of other communities across the country.  Sandy does not have the lock on the definition of livability.   I have relatives that live in New England les

1 hour ago, Petee said:

Absolutely!  THERE ARE NO PROMISES THAT IT WOULD BE BETTER!  In fact it could be worse.  People who think they are going to GET something are misinformed.  Best scenario is that nothing changes.

DuBois and Sandy are already growing at a steady controllable pace that we can all handle.  Generations to come will definitely benefit, but you will never get the quantity of huge opportunities as you would in a place like Silicon Valley.  The opportunities are here now, kids just have to work hard and get educated.  Same as anywhere in the world.  The trade off for having it all available  in your backyard is that you have no backyard!  Peace goes out the door and it's dog eat dog.  Think of what you are willing to lose if this area grows out of proportion to its ability to balance liveability with out-of-control legislation in the name of supposed growth.

I'd like to see the evidence the area is growing.  

1 hour ago, YourBoy said:

I'd like to see the evidence the area is growing.  

THen why are so many businesses opening up?  They don't come without customers.  You can't get across town easily at certain hours, where are they coming from?  How are people living better, with larger homes and fancier cars?  How many have never taken a vacation or two a year?  

7 hours ago, Cacao said:

This is exactly what I foresee with DuBois/Sandy.  I'm hearing all of the same talking points/promises without a detailed plan to support.  I don't believe either side has the smarts to pull this promised utopia off.  A bunch of guys in golf shirts tucked into their jeans does not give me the impression of success.  I'm not against it, I'm just not convinced it will be a good thing. 

PLus in this situation you have an extra complexity.  Treasure Lake which  has its own  separate ideas and governance.

6 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

??????

Conman gave an opinion based on experience.  Conman is not complaining about anything.   

Where did Jaman's attack come from???????

No , you said attitudes as you always suggest in all threads.. I inferred for YOU to lead the way. Fair. And 0bjective responses will be left  until,if it is moved the Debate Thread.

3 minutes ago, jaman said:

No , you said attitudes as you always suggest in all threads.. I inferred for YOU to lead the way. Fair. And subjective responses will be left if it is moved the Debate Thread.

????? This is not "all threads" .....?       ........everything is about attitude, so you and other posters NEED to hear his usual platitudes...…………..but thanks anyway!

5 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

????? This is not "all threads" .....?       ........everything is about attitude, so you and other posters NEED to hear his usual platitudes...…………..but thanks anyway!

Thanks for admitting Jaman right again. About your platitudes.;) Back to the subjective information of consolidation Go Dubois patrons want to hear..

Everyone is entitled to their views, opinions, and vote. From what I have seen, most people who are diehard or longtime residents of the City or TWP are against it. They seem to be set in their way without any chance of change. The others, who seem to be younger, seem to be open to change and the willingness to explore the possibilities of saving the area. It will not work if people who still hold vendettas over silly little things that happened in the past. Anytime you have change you are taking a chance. I think we all can see that there has been no change for several years, long before I was born, and we can see what it is doing to our area. I hate to say this because I am sure someone will jump on this and refute it, but what more do we have to lose or can afford to lose before it is too late to try to change it. 

1 hour ago, DuB814 said:

Everyone is entitled to their views, opinions, and vote. From what I have seen, most people who are diehard or longtime residents of the City or TWP are against it. They seem to be set in their way without any chance of change. The others, who seem to be younger, seem to be open to change and the willingness to explore the possibilities of saving the area. It will not work if people who still hold vendettas over silly little things that happened in the past. Anytime you have change you are taking a chance. I think we all can see that there has been no change for several years, long before I was born, and we can see what it is doing to our area. I hate to say this because I am sure someone will jump on this and refute it, but what more do we have to lose or can afford to lose before it is too late to try to change it. 

And that is why I moved out of the area a long time ago.   I don't blame folks for leaving like I did. It's really best for them.   Since I'm older and wiser and wanted to slow down a little bit and I can work lot from home. is why I moved back a few years ago.   But the drugs and crime is another thing that hurts this area.   Sure merging can help get grants and funding for businesses but does no good if every one in high, stone or doped.

3 minutes ago, JimmyPete said:

And that is why I moved out of the area a long time ago.   I don't blame folks for leaving like I did. It's really best for them.   Since I'm older and wiser and wanted to slow down a little bit and I can work lot from home. is why I moved back a few years ago.   But the drugs and crime is another thing that hurts this area.   Sure merging can help get grants and funding for businesses but does no good if every one in high, stone or doped.

Same here.  Bounced around following the economy.  I learned many things living elsewhere.  Learned that the taxes everyone complains about are nothing compared to many many other places.  I also learned the value of education and how an area that values education usually has a much lower drug and crime problem.  Around here, it's not valued as much and mostly seen as an unnecessary barrier.  Education, and it comes in many forms, is the only thing that will allow you to improve your life and those around you.  

16 hours ago, Petee said:

THen why are so many businesses opening up?  They don't come without customers.  You can't get across town easily at certain hours, where are they coming from?  How are people living better, with larger homes and fancier cars?  How many have never taken a vacation or two a year?  

Vacation what is that?? Haven’t took one in over 20 years. 

When they consolidate just remember sandy township will be part of the monopoly here in DuBois. You have no choice but what DuBois choices. Screw the roads and education. Baseball fields and street lights will be the first topic to better sandy Bois.  U won’t have a choice who gets ur garbage and ur water/sewage rates will skyrocket. I’m sure herm is loving getting more area to control. And I find it funny certain people will think this is great but what has changed in the last 20 years in either place. Nothing in DuBois and in sandy the people that run it is all. I don’t think DuBois should take on anymore debt and neither should sandy. Take care of your own area before trying to save others. 

DuBois, PA – DuBois City Council voted in favor of starting the first steps in what could be an eventual consolidation of DuBois and Sandy Township.

All members of the council voted to fund a study to determine the pros and cons of merging the two municipalities into one.

The vote comes in response to a proposal by Sandy Township Supervisors, which sent a letter to DuBois City Council last week.

This idea has been brought up many times over the years, and it was officially considered two other times by the city council and township board. However, it was voted down the last time it was debated in 2002.

Historically, it has been Sandy Township that voted against consolidation in the past. Because Sandy Township was the municipality to initiate the talks this time, many people are taking that as a sign that consolidation might actually happen.

Listen to the interview with Herm Suplizio, City of DuBois manager.

https://www.sunny106.fm/local/dubois-city-sandy-township-consolidation-info/

Neither have I.  I went to Minnesota and Canada once, and once to New England and we won a vacation to the Bahamas but that was 30-40 years ago.  Our friends all go places on a regular basis, but we invest our money in home, family and our land.  That's all we have.  If others have problems with their homes, they can move, at our stage of life, we can't.  Security on our own land with a predictable future is important.  Unfortunately we built way too close to town and it may come back to bite us in the end.

We've been lucky in that we've been able to feel free of unmanageable debt, and when the gas went through, we could avoid it. No sewer and water bills have made it easier also, although we've had some heavy repairs at times, we could do alot of the work ourselves and it's always been cheaper than an unpredictable bill.  We don't need someone forcing services on us that would force us into debt.

We're both 72 and still work to keep a savings for unexpected problems.  There's not enough to include luxuries or something that the government thinks we should have but don't need or want, and probably won't use.  

Remember that when the government gives you money, they want something back, like matching funds, and where do they come from?

That's why I would choose carefully planned development that everyone can prepare for. It has to work for everyone as they are able to deal with it.

Farms are another problem.  Sandy Township has a lot more than anyone would think, and they struggle along.  All farmers have to hold down a second job in order to survive, but they are crucial to society and every one that is lost is a major problem.  Downtown can't be taxed the same way as those who live out in Sandy Township.  

I'd rather know what's coming so we might be able to get out of the way if necessary.

14 minutes ago, Petee said:

Neither have I.  I went to Minnesota and Canada once, and once to New England and we won a vacation to the Bahamas but that was 30-40 years ago.  Our friends all go places on a regular basis, but we invest our money in home, family and our land.  That's all we have.  If others have problems with their homes, they can move, at our stage of life, we can't.  Security on our own land with a predictable future is important.  Unfortunately we built way too close to town and it may come back to bite us in the end.

We've been lucky in that we've been able to feel free of unmanageable debt, and when the gas went through, we could avoid it. No sewer and water bills have made it easier also, although we've had some heavy repairs at times, we could do alot of the work ourselves and it's always been cheaper than an unpredictable bill.  We don't need someone forcing services on us that would force us into debt.

We're both 72 and still work to keep a savings for unexpected problems.  There's not enough to include luxuries or something that the government thinks we should have but don't need or want, and probably won't use.  

Remember that when the government gives you money, they want something back, like matching funds, and where do they come from?

That's why I would choose carefully planned development that everyone can prepare for. It has to work for everyone as they are able to deal with it.

Farms are another problem.  Sandy Township has a lot more than anyone would think, and they struggle along.  All farmers have to hold down a second job in order to survive, but they are crucial to society and every one that is lost is a major problem.  Downtown can't be taxed the same way as those who live out in Sandy Township.  

I'd rather know what's coming so we might be able to get out of the way if necessary.

Even if Sandy Townships taxes went up 10% as a result of Consolidation the average dollar amount per year for most tax payers would be less than $35.

That would be about the same amount a new Sandy Township building will cost Sandy taxpayers. 

Guest Guest 123
21 hours ago, Gold Brick said:

There is a thread in the debate forum. Police and Fire Dept. can work together. If we did consolidate they could actually spread out our departments to better serve the area. The City crew and Sandy crew could also share special equipment that might not be used daily but is needed. The Treasure Lake issue is of their own making. If they want help all they would need to do is remove their gates. This has been visited, they chose to stay as they are, it is their choice. There may be some adjustments to taxes and things like the different ordenances that would be more of a concern closer to town. Things that could be worked out. I really don't see it as a bad thing.

This is why I will always favor consolidation - it ends redundancy. I was in a fender bender a few years ago. Other party and I pulled into Burger King parking lot and a City police officer happened to be there already. He came over to make sure we were ok but he was not allowed to write up the report because we were in Sandy township. Idiocy. Not his fault at all but a terrible system.

I have lived here my whole life and it wasn’t until house hunting two years ago that I even knew where the exact lines between DuBois and Sandy are. I would venture most of the younger generation feels the same. 
I understand concern for rural was of living. But there are compromises that can be reached to ensure hunting and animals, among other activities, can be preserved.