GoDuBois.com

Consolidation

k

On 1/13/2020 at 4:41 PM, Petee said:

THen why are so many businesses opening up?  They don't come without customers.  You can't get across town easily at certain hours, where are they coming from?  How are people living better, with larger homes and fancier cars?  How many have never taken a vacation or two a year?  

I see a lot of vacant retail space.  However, considering the lack of retail outside the immediate DuBois/Sandy area, DuBois is the 'shopping mecca', unless you want to drive for a couple of hours.

The driving factor is mostly healthcare professionals.  Then again, fancy cars and large homes stand out more than the average cares and homes.  There is also the segment of society that has no issues going into debt up to their eyeballs to have a nice car and/or a big home...and toss in the impressive vacation.

24 minutes ago, _Rusty_ said:

Picture it like the "service fee" on your monthly water & sewage bill.. just another added tax they can collect "because they can".  When they changed the billing cycle from quarterly to monthly the City "tripled" your service fee from $40/yr to $120/yr. Take that times 2k residence services and you have $160k per year increase in revenue for no good reason.

The I&I charge has been eliminated according to the Township

On 1/13/2020 at 2:31 PM, Petee said:

Absolutely!  THERE ARE NO PROMISES THAT IT WOULD BE BETTER!  In fact it could be worse.  People who think they are going to GET something are misinformed.  Best scenario is that nothing changes.

DuBois and Sandy are already growing at a steady controllable pace that we can all handle.  Generations to come will definitely benefit, but you will never get the quantity of huge opportunities as you would in a place like Silicon Valley.  The opportunities are here now, kids just have to work hard and get educated.  Same as anywhere in the world.  The trade off for having it all available  in your backyard is that you have no backyard!  Peace goes out the door and it's dog eat dog.  Think of what you are willing to lose if this area grows out of proportion to its ability to balance liveability with out-of-control legislation in the name of supposed growth.

Sandy and DuBois are no different than thousands of other communities across the country.  Sandy does not have the lock on the definition of livability.   I have relatives that live in New England less than an hour outside of Boston.  They have a nice, large home on about 10 acres.  The cost of living is no different than around here.  In fact, you would see little difference between here and there.  And the area has grown.  The area also offers lots of amenities for the younger population the area attracts.   Plus, travel time to work is no different than most folks travel to get to work around here.  The old and the new blend pretty nicely and my relatives love it.  They get 'country' living with all the benefits of the larger metropolitan area.

The future of Sandy is not a bunch of old folks sitting in front of their garages swatting flies while chatting about lawn tractors and tomato gardens.

23 hours ago, jt85 said:

I’m not an old timer by any means. And the monopoly is already happening in DuBois. And I don’t feel sandy wants to be part of that. Do I think it would be great for new heads in the seats here in DuBois yes. And I think sandy township supervisors would do a better job because they care about their citizens. When I think of sandy township I think of country and family oriented people. They are the heart of this area and have respect for one another. Here in DuBois is where can we get the next penny for the padded seats on the benches. Or how many light post we can put up. I just don’t see sandy residents going for this at all..

Wonder what the stats are of people who grew up in DuBois but now live in Sandy (and vice versa).  Must be an outright scandal if a City dweller marries a Sandy dweller!!   

Whatever Gotham Dubois constructs benefits Sandy residents just as much.  I live in Sandy and it was damn fun watching my kids play on the baseball fields in the City Limits (and EGADS! right alongside those city kids!).  The lit up downtown is rather nice, although the runway lights to the hospital is a bit much.

If you stood 10 people side-by-side, unless you asked their address, you would be unable to tell where they lived.  The area residents go to school together, work together, shop together, and everything else together.  Not one single bit of difference between them.

I must confess I am not native to this area, but I have been here for well over 30 years.  I am still amazed the city vs country dweller attitudes even though the entire area is basically at its core a bunch of hicks and rednecks (myself included).

On 1/14/2020 at 8:20 AM, JimmyPete said:

And that is why I moved out of the area a long time ago.   I don't blame folks for leaving like I did. It's really best for them.   Since I'm older and wiser and wanted to slow down a little bit and I can work lot from home. is why I moved back a few years ago.   But the drugs and crime is another thing that hurts this area.   Sure merging can help get grants and funding for businesses but does no good if every one in high, stone or doped.

The drug problem is terrible. Maybe with consolidation that would double the size and make one bigger department that would be better enabled to attack the drug problem more. Although, the drug epidemic seems to be bad everywhere. 

On 1/14/2020 at 8:55 AM, jt85 said:

When they consolidate just remember sandy township will be part of the monopoly here in DuBois. You have no choice but what DuBois choices. Screw the roads and education. Baseball fields and street lights will be the first topic to better sandy Bois.  U won’t have a choice who gets ur garbage and ur water/sewage rates will skyrocket. I’m sure herm is loving getting more area to control. And I find it funny certain people will think this is great but what has changed in the last 20 years in either place. Nothing in DuBois and in sandy the people that run it is all. I don’t think DuBois should take on anymore debt and neither should sandy. Take care of your own area before trying to save others. 

And this is exactly why the voters voted in two new supervisors to replace the two that were bitter against the city and not willing to work with them. 

2 hours ago, Illiterate said:

The lit up downtown is rather nice, although the runway lights to the hospital is a bit much.

If you stood 10 people side-by-side, unless you asked their address, you would be unable to tell where they lived.  The area residents go to school together, work together, shop together, and everything else together.  Not one single bit of difference between them.

I was just commenting last evening how DuBois (neighborhoods) is dark with the lack of street lights versus when I was a kid.  

I'll take the "address" thing a step further.  I think the consolidation will effect those who live outside of 15801.  Although folks who live in Falls Creek, Reynoldsvile, Sykesville, Brockway, and other locations will not have a vote.  It will effect their communities.  It will effect the greater areas because DuBois the center of commerce.  So, choose wisely!

1 hour ago, disgruntled said:

I've seen a few people expressing concern over what a consolidated entity would be called.  Wouldn't it be simply DuBois?  Sandy Township does not have it's own post office or zip code. 

I think folks were just being sarcastic with the name change.

2 hours ago, disgruntled said:

I've seen a few people expressing concern over what a consolidated entity would be called.  Wouldn't it be simply DuBois?  Sandy Township does not have it's own post office or zip code. 

Might end up with a new name like how Barnsboro and Spangler became Northern Cambria upon that merger.

2 hours ago, disgruntled said:

In the 1970's consolidation would have been called "Chrystal City."  That is St Mary's nickname now.  So they'll have to think a new one. 

1 hour ago, dubois_15801 said:

Might end up with a new name like how Barnsboro and Spangler became Northern Cambria upon that merger.

.. and since "DuSan" has already been copyrighted maybe we could use "SanDu"..😎

Seriously though there are far bigger issues with this than "merge" that won't be resolved easily. The City owns a fire dept. and the twp. does not. Both "own" massive sport fields but the city has more "brick and mortar" debt. in their fields. They both seem to have adequate personnel to cover the infrastructure maintenance but we don't need two managers, two tax collectors, ect. 

To me the bottom line is; they cannot solve issues now separately so how can the joining of the two simplify anything? I'd like to see an independent auditor come in and expose any and all duplications (as well as misuse of funds) so as to prove the need for any such merger.

2 hours ago, _Rusty_ said:

.. and since "DuSan" has already been copyrighted maybe we could use "SanDu"..😎

Seriously though there are far bigger issues with this than "merge" that won't be resolved easily. The City owns a fire dept. and the twp. does not. Both "own" massive sport fields but the city has more "brick and mortar" debt. in their fields. They both seem to have adequate personnel to cover the infrastructure maintenance but we don't need two managers, two tax collectors, ect. 

To me the bottom line is; they cannot solve issues now separately so how can the joining of the two simplify anything? I'd like to see an independent auditor come in and expose any and all duplications (as well as misuse of funds) so as to prove the need for any such merger.

I"m voting for "DuGurls".

2 hours ago, coffedude said:

I live in Sandy twp and my current bill has the IandI I along with a service charge.

Your next bill will have these sewer rates:

What is the current rate schedule?

• Current rates as of Jan 2020
  • Monthly maintenance fee of $12.25 per bill
  • Water
    • $16.00 - Per 1000 Gallons used (Minimum billed is 1000 gallons)
  • Sewer (metered)
    • (Minimum billed is 1000 gallons)
    • $18.50 - Per 1000 Gallons up to 1,000,000 gallons
    • $10.50 - Per 1000 Gallons from 1,000,001 through 3,500,000 gallons
    • $6.50 - Per 1000 Gallons over 3,500,000 gallons
  • Sewer (unmetered)
    • $40.70 - One (1) person household
    • $96.20 - Two (2) person household
    • $138.75- Three (3) person household
    • $179.45 - Four (4) or more person household

http://water.sandytownship.net/faqs.html#.Xh_sjC3MxQI

On 1/14/2020 at 2:07 PM, falsecreek said:

Sandy borders Jeff County in places , Consol may open the door to join this new metropolis with Jeff County and become a county seat !

a Consol of this proportion , in these Northwoods , might spur some politicans to once more look into the finalization of Rte 219 completion of a limited access highway , and finally get the satisfaction Mr. Valentine worked so many years to bring to a close.........AND where would Treasure Lake fall into this mix , with so many votes that they possess ???

17 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

I'm thinking that Sandy residents will see a decrease, while DuBois customers will see an increase to make up the difference. 

DuBois would actually get more money from the former Sandy customers since they are providing a bulk rate to Sandy Township now. 

The amount could be 4 or 5 more dollars per 1000 gallon.