GoDuBois.com

Stimulus money to School District???

DS58

2 hours ago, DS58 said:

If I read correctly and it was reported correctly,  should our school taxes be reduced next year????

Taxes should be reduced.   "Tools".   Which means more personnel. That money should be used to reduce the debt of the new School renovations. 

1 hour ago, L8RG8R said:

Maybe they can hire a super that knows what they're doing.  From what I've heard and from the amount of phone calls, the district is out of control with no discipline.

I'm not exactly sure what you are referencing.  But, as for discipline, the Super owns a share, but it's up to the principals to enforce it.  DASD is not alone in this regard.  Principals (ie adminstration) need to enforce the rules and stop allowing the children/parents to tell them what they are going to do.  Staff is burnt out and morale is extremely low.  School districts are so fearful of kids moving to PA Cyber, if a student threatens to move to that, they'll give the student anything they want.  All because it's a financial burden to the districts.  It removes any teeth the staff once had and puts the control into the student.  

21 minutes ago, Cacao said:

I'm not exactly sure what you are referencing.  But, as for discipline, the Super owns a share, but it's up to the principals to enforce it.  DASD is not alone in this regard.  Principals (ie adminstration) need to enforce the rules and stop allowing the children/parents to tell them what they are going to do.  Staff is burnt out and morale is extremely low.  School districts are so fearful of kids moving to PA Cyber, if a student threatens to move to that, they'll give the student anything they want.  All because it's a financial burden to the districts.  It removes any teeth the staff once had and puts the control into the student.  

Good Post.   And if a kid would threaten to leave?  The door is open and dont let it hit you in the back. Not everybody is adaptable and responsible  to  do PA CYber.   The parents are then responsible for the completion of their education.  And then in this case I would tell the parent(s) dont complain about your tax money.   With due respect,  most of the last 2 generations of parents need to parent not be a friend afraid of them. Maybe not buying a $1200 Iphone or Ipod. would work. And I dont want to hear that Billy Joe and Sarah on the street "Have them too." I didnt win but I got my 5th place trophy.  There were only 6 participants. Id be embarrassed.

Most of the $10 mill should be put to pay down the renovation debt. 

30 minutes ago, Cacao said:

Because it starts from the top.  The principals have no power anymore because if they do anything, the parent then complains to a board member or the super and they get what they want anyway.  If little Johnny doesn't like a coach because they don't get enough PT, then call a board member!!  Even if they were undefeated they would be investigated.  Basically, the DASD has no guts to stand up to parents.

39 minutes ago, L8RG8R said:

Because it starts from the top.  The principals have no power anymore because if they do anything, the parent then complains to a board member or the super and they get what they want anyway.  If little Johnny doesn't like a coach because they don't get enough PT, then call a board member!!  Even if they were undefeated they would be investigated.  Basically, the DASD has no guts to stand up to parents.

Again, all of this is not limited to DASD.  Principals do have the power, but they'd rather take the path of least resistance.  Less paperwork and meetings.  That "who you know or squeaky wheel" stuff will never change.  There are a lot of factors that drive principals to avoid handing out student discipline.  What they don't realize is how it effect their staff.  Honestly, they don't care.  

52 minutes ago, jaman said:

Good Post.   And if a kid would threaten to leave?  The door is open and dont let it hit you in the back. Not everybody is adaptable and responsible  to  do PA CYber.   The parents are then responsible for the completion of their education.  And then in this case I would tell the parent(s) dont complain about your tax money. 

School districts are hit financially on a few levels.  Once for the cost of the kid to be in the district, and again for the cost of PA Cyber...I'm not completely sure, but I think the district teachers/staff have to grade the work and keep them in their books.  It's a punishment to try and keep kids in-person.  

As a taxpayer, I'd like to see this go for the educational betterment of the students.  Improve Math & Science education.  Classes tailored towards engineering, medical and other skilled careers (i.e. plumbing/electric) at Jeff Tech.  Also, improved teacher development. Overall, improve the area by improving the teachers and, therefore, improving the student. 

NO construction stuff!  No athletic fields/courts, no building additions/renovations, no additional positions.  

I COMPLETELY agree.  For way too long, sports which do have some value, have been promoted ahead of the value of excellence in scholarship.  Many people agree.  In this area, a sport is a game, not a critical part of the educational process.  Unless you can gamble on it, then it's not at the top of anyone's list.

Get the kids computers and the ability to go beyond the average level of development in our schools, no matter what the interest is!  Get them interested in and ready for a trade or profession!  Make them hungry for more education, not sick of it.

1 hour ago, Cacao said:

School districts are hit financially on a few levels.  Once for the cost of the kid to be in the district, and again for the cost of PA Cyber...I'm not completely sure, but I think the district teachers/staff have to grade the work and keep them in their books.  It's a punishment to try and keep kids in-person.  

No, if a student opts for an online cyber or charter school such as PA Cyber, the school has no affiliation with that student.  That student chose to go to another school.  What does happen however, is the school is now required to pay for that education from tax funded dollars.  Schools like DuBois Area do have their own virtual academy that is run from their teachers, but you are still a DASD student, your classroom is just at home.

1 hour ago, Cacao said:

As a taxpayer, I'd like to see this go for the educational betterment of the students.  Improve Math & Science education.  Classes tailored towards engineering, medical and other skilled careers (i.e. plumbing/electric) at Jeff Tech.  Also, improved teacher development. Overall, improve the area by improving the teachers and, therefore, improving the student. 

NO construction stuff!  No athletic fields/courts, no building additions/renovations, no additional positions.  

You got a good point.THose kids who are getting National certification for a Trade are way ahead of the usual Liberal snowflakes who go to school for 5 -6 years for a bachelor  degree to nowhere.

1 hour ago, L8RG8R said:

No, if a student opts for an online cyber or charter school such as PA Cyber, the school has no affiliation with that student.  That student chose to go to another school.  What does happen however, is the school is now required to pay for that education from tax funded dollars.  Schools like DuBois Area do have their own virtual academy that is run from their teachers, but you are still a DASD student, your classroom is just at home.

I know for a fact that PA Cyber is charged back to the school district.  A fast search provided an article explaining it - https://www.inquirer.com/news/pennsylvania-cyber-charter-schools-costs-performance-20190314.html

The virtual academies are what the districts what you to do because they are not changed twice for that student.  I promise you.

The school district pays the cyber school a portion of the tax money that is allocated for that child.  They are still getting some money, even though the child is not using their school or transportation.   

We have used cyber(PALCS) for years and I get a kick out of our district calling me each year to convince me to return my student(s) to their school. We left for a reason.  I know brilliant home schooled, cyber schooled and public school students. I also know "just getting by" homeschool,  cyber and public school students.  I respect a families right to choose based on each students needs. 

Two of my children finished out with 4 years of public high school and one chose to stay cyber through graduation. 

Fun fact for those with kids that are unhappy with their education:  traditional homeschool laws are easy to maneuver and unschooling is legal in PA.  I foresee a lot of both happening if the current climate doesn't change. 

Proof of the system's inability to take care of our own kids. 

What are the Liberals doing now? Bringing in more kids from other countries. 

The intelligence is overwhelming. 

Your toilet is overflowing, what should you do?  

KEEP FLUSHING IT, you fools.