GoDuBois.com

PA Lawmakers Introuce Bill Banning Transgender Athletes From Competing In Women's Sports

PA lawmakers introduce bill banning transgender athletes from competing in women's sports

by CBS 21 News 

Representative Barbara Gleim and other lawmakers introduce the Fairness in Women's Sports Act. (Credit: WHP)
Representative Barbara Gleim and other lawmakers introduce the Fairness in Women's Sports Act. (Credit: WHP)
Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon

Harrisburg, PA — A group of Pennsylvania lawmakers are set to introduce a bill that would ban transgender athletes from competing in women's sports across the state.

A coalition of Pennsylvania House members are expected to introduce the Pennsylvania's Fairness in Women's Sports Act during a press conference at 11 a.m. on Monday.

The bill is being sponsored by several house members, including five women: Rep. Barb Gleim (R-Cumberland), Rep. Martina White (R-Philadelphia), Rep. Dawn Keefer (R-York), Rep. Valarie Gaydos (R-Allegheny), Rep. Stephanie Borowicz (R-Clinton/Centre).

Several other states in the country, such as Arkansas, have passed legislation banning transgender athletes from competing in women's sports.

Similar legislation has also been introduced in other states.                                                                                                                                                                                  SEE PICTURES, VIDEO REPORT    ;     https://wjactv.com/news/local/pa-lawmakers-to-introduce-bill-banning-biological-males-from-competing-in-womens-sports

1 hour ago, Lizard said:

Why is this one sided? So the girls will be allowed to play in men's sports? How is that politically correct? 

Yeah, all those 6'3", 250 lb girls are going to take over football. When we get over all of the political correct nonsense what it comes down to is that the presence of testosterone allows for the development of larger, stronger muscular development. The high jump record for men is 8 ft 1/4 inches. For women it is 6ft 10 1/4 inches. The girls can't compete on men's teams. These transgender females have the advantage of years of muscle development that doesn't all disappear with hormone treatments. They are taller with more robust bone development. They have an advantage that most genetic females are not going to be able to compete against. Women's sports were developed so that women could compete within their own gender. Throwing in ringers defeats the purpose of women's sports. I doubt females transitioning into males who are going to be shorter and less muscular are going to show up for for football tryouts so male sports are safe. 

6 hours ago, lavender said:

Yeah, all those 6'3", 250 lb girls are going to take over football. When we get over all of the political correct nonsense what it comes down to is that the presence of testosterone allows for the development of larger, stronger muscular development. The high jump record for men is 8 ft 1/4 inches. For women it is 6ft 10 1/4 inches. The girls can't compete on men's teams. These transgender females have the advantage of years of muscle development that doesn't all disappear with hormone treatments. They are taller with more robust bone development. They have an advantage that most genetic females are not going to be able to compete against. Women's sports were developed so that women could compete within their own gender. Throwing in ringers defeats the purpose of women's sports. I doubt females transitioning into males who are going to be shorter and less muscular are going to show up for for football tryouts so male sports are safe. 

I completely understood the why but I'm sure that will be the next thing that happens. It's hard to sound sarcastic with words from a keyboard.

Spare me the fake outrage.  Where were these lawmakers when Violence Against Women Act was nearly allowed to expire in 2019?  Or when a school has a Title IX complaint?  Or when a woman makes .79 on the $1 a man makes?  Talk about PC run amok.  This is nothing more than political grandstanding.  

1 hour ago, MIM307 said:

Spare me the fake outrage.  Where were these lawmakers when Violence Against Women Act was nearly allowed to expire in 2019?  Or when a school has a Title IX complaint?  Or when a woman makes .79 on the $1 a man makes?  Talk about PC run amok.  This is nothing more than political grandstanding.  

The above items you reference were  federal government issues.

These are state lawmakers in Pennsylvania.  

Trans Athletes Are Posting Victories and Shaking Up Sports

Transgender athletes at all levels of sport are winning medals, spurring a contentious debate over the future of gendered competition.

In Connecticut, as in more than a dozen other states, high school athletes are allowed to compete in the category that matches their gender identity. According to ADF legal counsel Christiana Holcomb, two transgender athlete Terry Miller and another runner, Andraya Yearwood—“have amassed 15 different state championship titles that were once held by nine different girls across the state.” The US Department of Education’s office for civil rights is now investigating the group’s complaint.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-glorious-victories-of-trans-athletes-are-shaking-up-sports/

I'm not sure what the answer is.  I actually know 2 young adults who have undergone the first phase of gender change surgery.  One was not an athlete and one was.  I just realized that the one who was an athlete stopped competing in sports. I bet he just wants left alone.  He had surgery before starting college so he just blended in better and didn't have all the attention he had in high school  when he started the process.  His high school was very accepting but having gone to school there all his life, it was obviously known and discussed a lot. 

From what I see, on the college level there is a lot of support and they really do their best to make all students comfortable.  I have heard of a few students being asked before room assignments if they felt comfortable rooming with a transgender student or not, so I know it spans multiple schools and isn't just one college.  How to handle sports though, is a big issue.  

I know many are just totally against the transgender topic and that's o.k.  A family friend had a daughter that from the time she was a toddler she told everyone she was a boy,  wanted to wear boys clothes and be called a boys name.   30 years ago we just thought it strange and didn't say much but never called her by a boys name.  Fast forward 30 years and she committed suicide and my first thought was that she had been tortured by this all of her life.  I try to be more accepting of the topic now. 

That said, I feel you should really go by your birth gender for sports for reasons mentioned previously.  Sadly, there will be people that claim transgender to get ahead and win and not because they were honestly gender confused. 

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze said:

Trans Athletes Are Posting Victories and Shaking Up Sports

Transgender athletes at all levels of sport are winning medals, spurring a contentious debate over the future of gendered competition.

In Connecticut, as in more than a dozen other states, high school athletes are allowed to compete in the category that matches their gender identity. According to ADF legal counsel Christiana Holcomb, two transgender athlete Terry Miller and another runner, Andraya Yearwood—“have amassed 15 different state championship titles that were once held by nine different girls across the state.” The US Department of Education’s office for civil rights is now investigating the group’s complaint.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-glorious-victories-of-trans-athletes-are-shaking-up-sports/

'Nuff said. Once you are a man you can have your genitals changed but that doesn't make you a woman with a woman's skeleton or musculature. Not to mention a lot of other things. Those records are like a kid lying about his age to get to play on a team with younger kids. They are fraud. Whatever happened to wanting to win honorably?

3 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

The above items you reference were  federal government issues.

These are state lawmakers in Pennsylvania.  

Pretty sure women in Pennsylvania are effected by federal issues like VAWA, Title IX, and wage gaps.  But way to miss the point.  

Carry on with your "outrage"

8 hours ago, MIM307 said:

Pretty sure women in Pennsylvania are effected by federal issues like VAWA, Title IX, and wage gaps.  But way to miss the point.  

Carry on with your "outrage"

You would be 100% wrong and have no clue what you're talking about in the construction trades industry.

Women and minorities are making the exact same money penny for penny that the male caucasian workers are earning.

Women and minorities are encouraged to seek employment in the trades.

9 hours ago, NikonSniper said:

You would be 100% wrong and have no clue what you're talking about in the construction trades industry.

Women and minorities are making the exact same money penny for penny that the male caucasian workers are earning.

Women and minorities are encouraged to seek employment in the trades.

Agreed women and minorities are encouraged to apply in the construction trades, and other skilled labor fields, because they are currently under represented in those fields.    

I am also aware that union shops pay women the same pay as men.  Thank God for unions.  

Are you aware that on the national level, Caucasian women earn less than men doing the same job? Factors that play into the wage gap are highlighted below.  

Analyzing the most recent Census Bureau data from 2018, women of all races earned, on average, just 82 cents for every $1 earned by men of all races.3 This calculation is the ratio of median annual earnings for women working full time, year round to those of their male counterparts, and it translates to a gender wage gap of 18 cents.  https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/women/reports/2020/03/24/482141/quick-facts-gender-wage-gap/