GoDuBois.com

Rocky Mountain Water crisis

jaman

Watching CNBC last night came across this report.  That the Rocky Mountain  water supply is very low.  Because the urban areas like Salt Lake City and Denver are getting bigger.  It probably wont be long they will want to go to areas like ours and ask to buy water. We must protect our water. At this point they may have only 2 years.

I found the whole water thing interesting and frustrating while in Colorado last summer.  Where we were they can only use so much water from their own wells because the state owns it.  Lots of rules about not using water for flowers or grass or washing cars  Fines for going over the allowed usage from your own well. 

We had a group of us in 2 rented houses and with the amount of laundry and showering I wondered how much we were over the allowed usage. 

The irrigation systems we saw were pretty impressive.  I don't think a lot of folks realize that the water from a city water system is not endless.  People tell me they "have city water so they don't have to worry" and I just shake my head because that's simply not true. 

Although the Ohio river nearly dried up in 1908 city water drawn from most rivers in the Mississippi Basin now have very little chance of drying up. This due to locks and dams constructed to control flooding as well as dry spells. 

Many towns and cities draw water from wells and that can be a issue in drought conditions. Water is always present as a liquid, gas or solid ... at times it's just not where you need it. Growing population in desert communities depending on the Colorado river is a problem.

On 4/19/2021 at 9:00 PM, Hostofchucks said:

Although the Ohio river nearly dried up in 1908 city water drawn from most rivers in the Mississippi Basin now have very little chance of drying up. This due to locks and dams constructed to control flooding as well as dry spells. 

Many towns and cities draw water from wells and that can be a issue in drought conditions. Water is always present as a liquid, gas or solid ... at times it's just not where you need it. Growing population in desert communities depending on the Colorado river is a problem.

This is the problem.  Those wells and water sources being used locally are not endless and are at times very low.   People think of drought and summer for water conservation but the area water providers also have a problem in winter months.  

That's been an issue for years.  Toss Phoenix and SoCal into that discussion as well.  What you get for living in an area with a low water table.

I'm still waiting for the politicians to fix the water problems in Flint, MI.  

1 hour ago, Cacao said:

That's been an issue for years.  Toss Phoenix and SoCal into that discussion as well.  What you get for living in an area with a low water table.

I'm still waiting for the politicians to fix the water problems in Flint, MI.  

A welder friend of mine says they have a plan that has been discussed..  A major pipe line pumping water from Lake Superior  to the Rocky Mountain area. Draining the Great lakes.

4 hours ago, jaman said:

A welder friend of mine says they have a plan that has been discussed..  A major pipe line pumping water from Lake Superior  to the Rocky Mountain area. Draining the Great lakes.

The great lakes!  Huge amount of fresh water created by glaciers melting before mankind touched the earth.

IMAGINE THAT!!!!

How about they divert the flash floods into reservoirs instead of just allowing them to wash away?  How about cleaning their waste water and using it again?  I know it doesn't rain often, but when it does, do they catch it all and store it for future use?  I'll bet them don't. Waste not, want not.  The water coming off of the Rocky Mountains is almost endless although it too will run low in desert areas if not directed correctly.  It will get low, but not go away unless the snow on the mountain peaks all melts.  Then they may wake up.  Maybe they can get it from Canada instead of oil in the pipeline!  Ding dongs!  Where's Biden when you need him? :sorry: