GoDuBois.com
  • LOW PRICES
  • LOW PRICES
  • LOW PRICES

Cellmate Pleads Guilty For Death Of Clarion County Child Rapist

GANT: Cellmate Pleads Guilty for Death of Clarion County Child Rapist

April 24, 2021 12:40 am·
Author: Joanne Bauer

Garrick-Bloom.pngCLEARFIELD, Pa. – A former inmate of the state prison at Houtzdale pleaded guilty earlier this month for the death of his cellmate.

(This article was provided by our News Partner GantDaily.com.)

In October, state police charged Jacob Michael Mitchell, 34, with criminal homicide and related charges in connection with the death of Garrick Bloom (pictured above) at the state prison in Houtzdale.

Jacob Michael Mitchell

Jacob Michael Mitchell

Bloom, 48, who had been convicted of multiple child rape charges, was found unresponsive in his cell at 11:03 p.m. on Aug. 29, according to previous reports. Efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.

A trooper described Bloom as having bruises all over his face and markings on his neck that indicated he had been choked by some sort of string.

During jury selection in this case, Mitchell signed a plea agreement in which he pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter with the other charges being withdrawn.

At that time, he was sentenced by President Judge Fredric J. Ammerman to seven-and-one-half years to 15 years in state prison.

According to the affidavit of probable cause, Mitchell told investigators that he had been drinking alcohol all day and was “passed out in his bunk” when he was awakened by Bloom touching him inappropriately.

He explained he then jumped out of bed and began assaulting Bloom. He got Bloom on the ground and then Bloom bit him in the finger, causing him to go “into a rage.”

Mitchell stated he hit the call button for the guards as he was beating up Bloom and then hit it again after he was done assaulting him. He told the guards, “I think he’s dead,” according to the complaint.

When asked at what point he strangled Bloom, he replied “I don’t know. I just snapped” and “I’m sure I was the cause of whatever happened from there.”

Officials were able to take photos of Mitchell’s hand which was extremely swollen by the assault, police said.

Two of the corrections officers reported to police that Mitchell told them that he tied a string around Bloom’s neck in an attempt to hang Bloom and make it look like a suicide.

Mitchell was serving a sentence of two to six years from Cambria County in July 2014 where he was convicted of felony theft in one case and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle in another.

He was also charged with four counts of aggravated assault in relation to an incident on Sept. 16, 2014 at another prison.

For this he pleaded guilty to one count of simple assault for which he received a 12 to 24 months consecutive sentence.

He was moved to Houtzdale in December of 2014, according to online court documents. Currently, he is in SCI-Smithfield in Huntingdon.

Bloom, formerly of Shippenville, was serving a 40 to 80 years sentence that began in October of 2019 after he was convicted of raping a child in Clarion County.

He had been at SCI Houtzdale since Dec. 5, 2019.

36 minutes ago, Basset3 said:

It's not surprising this happened....think of all the assaults/murders that happened to child sex offenders in jail.

I've heard there's two types of people that should be very concerned with going to prison, Police and Child sex offenders. 

2 hours ago, jt85 said:

This man should be served steaks everyday in front of a big TV drinking a beer while sitting in a lazy boy . Saves me blood sweat and tears from making a stake for that ...

No he should be put to death, very painfully.

Sorry, I don't care who it is, celebrating someone killing another person is not right.

Guess what ? Sure this was retribution . But stupid. Instead of serving probably 3 years total for good behavior in his 2 sentences of theft, he'll get 40 for murder. STupidity in prison.  I could see if Mitchell was in 15 or more years, but this was stupid. Bloom basically had a life sentence.  People cheering this stupidity. Welcome to the New World Order.

7 hours ago, allboys said:

No he should be put to death, very painfully.

Sorry, I don't care who it is, celebrating someone killing another person is not 

Guess what?? Idc. I hope he kills more child rapist in prison. Glad u enjoy paying to keep them alive and I bet bloom would have had better medical than u or I. If u Sexual assault a child then u should die plan and simple... 

4 hours ago, jaman said:

Guess what ? Sure this was retribution . But stupid. Instead of serving probably 3 years total for good behavior in his 2 sentences of theft, he'll get 40 for murder. STupidity in prison.  I could see if Mitchell was in 15 or more years, but this was stupid. Bloom basically had a life sentence.  People cheering this stupidity. Welcome to the New World Order.

I'd like to say ur wrong.. he's not getting 40 years for murder. U gotta read.. 

During jury selection in this case, Mitchell signed a plea agreement in which he pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter with the other charges being withdrawn.

At that time, he was sentenced by President Judge Fredric J. Ammerman to seven-and-one-half years to 15 years in state prison. Doesn't say 40 years

55 minutes ago, jt85 said:

I'd like to say ur wrong.. he's not getting 40 years for murder. U gotta read.. 

At that time, he was sentenced by President Judge Fredric J. Ammerman to seven-and-one-half years to 15 years in state prison. Doesn't say 40 years

I noticed that .  I was going to edit it. But I noticed not an edit in the new format. Thanks for the correction.

2 hours ago, WMJ77 said:

DONT RAPE A CHILD and I wont have to to be glad you are dead....you dont think that piece of crap ruined that childs life?   that childs trust?.....I'm glad he is gone

I don't care who it is.  I don't care what they did.  I don't celebrate one person taking another person's life.  The moral compass of our society is in the toilet in part because we don't value life.  That includes what the man did to the child.  He didn't value that child's life.  Doesn't mean he had to die by an alcoholic imbecile who used what the man did as an excuse for what he did.  

There is ZERO justifiable excuse for one person to murder another.  Anyone who thinks that is ok is part of the problem in the world today.  

1 hour ago, allboys said:

I don't care who it is.  I don't care what they did.  I don't celebrate one person taking another person's life.  The moral compass of our society is in the toilet in part because we don't value life.  That includes what the man did to the child.  He didn't value that child's life.  Doesn't mean he had to die by an alcoholic imbecile who used what the man did as an excuse for what he did.  

There is ZERO justifiable excuse for one person to murder another.  Anyone who thinks that is ok is part of the problem in the world today.  

No people like you that act like your right and everyone else is wrong is part of the problem. I get the value of life. I also get that u clearly don't like violence, me either. I also believe that when you take a life or ruin a humans life by taking away their innocence and leave them in a place of darkness that person deserves death or a very dark cold hole. But then again you probably never killed a bug in your life. From your name I'd say u have kids. I'm sure you would protect them by all means even if you had to take a life. Nobody in the right mind wants to take a life but sometimes you have no choice. Many might think it was wrong but I know many more who would agree that its your life or theirs. You have to remember your not wrong and neither is the difference of opinion.  Thinking the other way makes bigger problems and a ass out of yourself.

1st that "man" knew what he was doing to that child, knew it was so wrong and didnt care ....he didnt care about the pain he caused that child......the nightmares.....the lack of trust .....and thats just the feelings of a child......then anger from the now older child......the guilty feelings the child has because it happened to them.....the fear of trying to have a relationship ....can they really trust their partner, can they open up and let them in.....drugs and booze......the fear of turning into someone just like the "man" was.....the fear of having a child.......

don't care who it is either....I do care what they have done......I care that we are keeping a person in a cage and feeding him, giving him medical care on my dime.....and for how long?....maybe for as long as his victim is still alive?   I guess its safe to say you are against death penalties....or maybe it just hasnt hit close enouth to home....your child, grand kids.   we dont agree...thats ok, I will jump up and down everytime a child rapist dies....the sooner the better

It doesn't sound as though he killed Bloom because he was a despicable child molester although some might think that was sufficient reason. It seems that he reacted violently when he woke to find Blooms hands down his pants. Some people take that seriously. If he had stopped with a few punches he would have been justified. I'll bet though if it had been a woman and she shot someone molesting her she would have gotten away with it. The minimum amount of violence needed to protect one's self is a slippery thing. 

9 hours ago, lavender said:

It doesn't sound as though he killed Bloom because he was a despicable child molester although some might think that was sufficient reason. It seems that he reacted violently when he woke to find Blooms hands down his pants. Some people take that seriously. If he had stopped with a few punches he would have been justified. I'll bet though if it had been a woman and she shot someone molesting her she would have gotten away with it. The minimum amount of violence needed to protect one's self is a slippery thing. 

:rofl:

Edited by fedup
On 4/25/2021 at 3:42 PM, allboys said:

This doesn't align with your feelings about the death by DUI post, I don't know how to quote it there so I'll copy and paste it. 

I'm the mother of 3. & grandmother of 3, soon-to-be 4. If ANYONE EVER rapes, molests, or kills one of MY kids or grandkids, THEY BETTER HOPE the police find them BEFORE I DO, because if not, THEY WILL NEVER MAKE IT TO PRISON, I WOULD KILL THEM WITH MY BARE HANDS & I DON'T GIVE A SH*T WHAT ANYONE THINKS, then I'll turn myself in & I'll fully confess!!! PLAIN & SIMPLE!!!