GoDuBois.com

Employers are begging for employees

Another problem government faces is there is no one size fits all minimum wage. Pittsburgh's cost of living is much higher than here in Du Bois as a example, so what area should you base minimum wage on? As was stated early in thread, minimum wage is for minimum skilled positions. And another item people need to get through their head is if your current employer is not paying you enough then look for another job that pays what you want to make. Employment is no different than paying something, it is between two parties agreeing on how much one party is willing to pay to the other party for services rendered. If I don't like a deal I am getting on a item I want I go look elsewhere till I find a price I agree with. The biggest problem I have with talking about minimum wage at this time is the fact that a ton of the businesses that would be effected the most by a raise have just suffered through a year of either not being open or operating at a reduced earning and are just trying to get back on their feet. Plus I will add that the government also wants the wage raised to (A) gain more in taxes and (B) collect more Social Security and Medicare taxes.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If they cant pay a living wage, they shouldn't be in business.  

Minimum wage is for minimum skills.  Want more pay.....learn more skills.      

Minimum wage IS for minimum skills! 1st I'll say I absolutely agree that servers/bartenders wages should be increased to the same minimum wage as everyone else, plus their tips - they work their a*ses

14 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Another problem government faces is there is no one size fits all minimum wage. Pittsburgh's cost of living is much higher than here in Du Bois as a example, so what area should you base minimum wage on? As was stated early in thread, minimum wage is for minimum skilled positions. And another item people need to get through their head is if your current employer is not paying you enough then look for another job that pays what you want to make. Employment is no different than paying something, it is between two parties agreeing on how much one party is willing to pay to the other party for services rendered. If I don't like a deal I am getting on a item I want I go look elsewhere till I find a price I agree with. The biggest problem I have with talking about minimum wage at this time is the fact that a ton of the businesses that would be effected the most by a raise have just suffered through a year of either not being open or operating at a reduced earning and are just trying to get back on their feet. Plus I will add that the government also wants the wage raised to (A) gain more in taxes and (B) collect more Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Good point. The government already accounts for COL in different areas when government employees, and others, travel for work.  GSA rates for meal, hotel reimbursement, etc are based on location.  My daily GSA rate for attending a work function in Washington DC would be higher than for attending a function in DuBois.  This same formula could easily be applied to minimum wages and have it based on COL in an area/region.  The formula the government uses already exists.  It just needs applied to minimum wage.  Employers would know what their minimum wage was for their area and be able to adjust costs of goods/services accordingly.  One would think that would be simple enough consideration...but of course this is the government we are talking about.  

17 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Plus I will add that the government also wants the wage raised to (A) gain more in taxes and (B) collect more Social Security and Medicare taxes.

I agree with this but also, I think, that it is a case of government catering to people who think that their services are worth far more than than they actually are. It your job requires no risk to life or limb, no education, no serious hard labor,  a minimum amount of stress and if you don't feel like going to work you can call in sick without feeling guilty what are you actually worth as an employee? 

22 hours ago, fedup said:

There are servers and bartenders that makes big money.

And many of them don't all report those tips--so they don't have to pay taxes on them.  Then they qualify for "bennies" that those of us that can't hide income pay for.  :censored:

"A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse." - Thomas Jefferson

6 hours ago, Jeff said:

You have to look at this deal with a Liberal mind. They constantly demand a "LIVING WAGE", not one of them can describe a living wage but they sure can demand and promise something they know nothing about.

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:58 AM, Lupara said:

If they cant pay a living wage, they shouldn't be in business.

and what is a livable wage? Certain jobs are entry level jobs and if you want better pay then you educate yourself and learn a skill worthy of more money.

So if they do increase peoples pay to let's say $15 what happens to those that are making $15 now or even $20.

You just basically decreased their livable wage because the costs of goods will increase.

Also why would anyone making $15 now using a skill stay where they are at when they can just flip burgers and get the same pay without the harder work.

Every time the minimum wage is increased so do the costs of everything else.

Every time the Government IMPOSES new Regulations to Protect Us, we LOSE a Little MORE of our FREEDOMS....

MORE Government = LESS Freedom

Hubby said this afternoon that a friend who has a business got a letter stating that any former employees who do not come back to work when offered will soon be losing their benefits.  THAT will immediately solve the employee problem.

BINGO!!

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Minimum wage IS for minimum skills! 1st I'll say I absolutely agree that servers/bartenders wages should be increased to the same minimum wage as everyone else, plus their tips - they work their a*ses off every day - I used to be one & yes, some days the tips are great, but other days they are terrible. 2nd, I have been the single mother of 3 most of my childrens' lives. Minimum wage wasn't cutting it, so what did I do? I got an Associate Degree, then got a CAREER that paid me HIGHER THAN MINIMUM WAGE, plus bonuses, commissions, & benefits because when your paycheck isn't cutting it, that's what you do! I had 5 licenses through the state & was Certified in Banking. Doing that as a single mom wasn't easy by any means, but it was what I needed to do for us! When things are hard financially, you don't sit on your a*s because that's easier, you try harder! 3rd to be completely transparent & honest, I will say that I am now on Social Security Disability. I have tons of severe health issues which make it so I cannot work anymore. I LOVED my career & wish that I COULD still work! If there were a way, medically, I'd go back IN A HEARTBEAT! It upsets me that I know people who say they "can't find a job" when I KNOW there are SO MANY available, & then here I am, wanting to work again SO BADLY & I truly can't! 

10 hours ago, Petee said:

Hubby said this afternoon that a friend who has a business got a letter stating that any former employees who do not come back to work when offered will soon be losing their benefits.  THAT will immediately solve the employee problem.

BINGO!!

But do you know what's hidden  in the "Infrastructure" Bill?   If you quit your job to "good cause" you get 75% of your unemployment and bennies.. If it passes, watch people quit there jobs. But when the free money runs out then what will they do? They'll demand their jobs. It doesnt work that way. 

54 minutes ago, AngieP said:

Minimum wage IS for minimum skills! 1st I'll say I absolutely agree that servers/bartenders wages should be increased to the same minimum wage as everyone else, plus their tips - they work their a*ses off every day - I used to be one & yes, some days the tips are great, but other days they are terrible. 2nd, I have been the single mother of 3 most of my childrens' lives. Minimum wage wasn't cutting it, so what did I do? I got an Associate Degree, then got a CAREER that paid me HIGHER THAN MINIMUM WAGE, plus bonuses, commissions, & benefits because when your paycheck isn't cutting it, that's what you do! I had 5 licenses through the state & was Certified in Banking. Doing that as a single mom wasn't easy by any means, but it was what I needed to do for us! When things are hard financially, you don't sit on your a*s because that's easier, you try harder! 3rd to be completely transparent & honest, I will say that I am now on Social Security Disability. I have tons of severe health issues which make it so I cannot work anymore. I LOVED my career & wish that I COULD still work! If there were a way, medically, I'd go back IN A HEARTBEAT! It upsets me that I know people who say they "can't find a job" when I KNOW there are SO MANY available, & then here I am, wanting to work again SO BADLY & I truly can't! 

God Bless you. You did it the right way.  SSD was for people like you worked your butt off. But, the problem is what I have been saying here for years, the illegals get SSI.   That is what is draining Social security.  Social security was for people who had disabilities and to suppliment Seniors retirement. Not Illegals, and teenage pregnancies. 

On 4/30/2021 at 11:27 AM, Jeff said:

Like before I have asked what will happen to the wages of skilled, semi-skilled labor under this increase? No one wants to address this. If I  currently make (whatever amount above minimum) will I see an increase in my wages or will my wages stay the same? A paramedic makes less than or equal to $15/hr. so what about them? Do their wages increase equally?

Isn't it weird that in America our flag and our culture offend so many people, but our benefits don't?

Point I'm trying to make I guess is that there is a difference between labor and skilled labor. Will this increase in minimum wage affect the skilled labor force as well? This is a serious question for the feel good everyone is equal generation. Some actually worked their A$$ off for their money.....we all can't be politicians and sell our souls to get rich. If we just hand money out will there be anyone left who wants to work? Seems like we want to hand it to everyone but the ones who earn it.

Isn't it weird that in America our flag and our culture offend so many people, but our benefits don't?

1 hour ago, Gold Brick said:

Like before I have asked what will happen to the wages of skilled, semi-skilled labor under this increase? No one wants to address this. If I  currently make (whatever amount above minimum) will I see an increase in my wages or will my wages stay the same? A paramedic makes less than or equal to $15/hr. so what about them? Do their wages increase equally?

TA DAH 

Just now, fedup said:

TA DAH 

Why should those that try be controlled by the voted for government?

Liberalism.

23 hours ago, Petee said:

BINGO!!

He said today that the letter was from the Department or Labor and Industry.  

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

8 hours ago, Petee said:

Yes, for those that were laid off or had reduced hours, if they refuse to return to work it is being asked that it be reported.  It also stated that there is a backlog of work and to only report the information ONE time.  It may take them awhile.

I have never had unemployment but my sister did for a few months last yr. She went back when called back. She said when you do your weekly renewal, it's asks if you were called back or if your job is available again  (I can't remember the exact wording) so these people who are called back but refuse, are lying right on the renewal. How is that ok?

4 hours ago, Lyndsey33 said:

I have never had unemployment but my sister did for a few months last yr. She went back when called back. She said when you do your weekly renewal, it's asks if you were called back or if your job is available again  (I can't remember the exact wording) so these people who are called back but refuse, are lying right on the renewal. How is that ok?

Because the Liberals want everyone dependent on their government. They want to own people like slaves.

On 5/1/2021 at 10:35 PM, Petee said:

and yet our own Governor said just the opposite. I always assumed if you got called back you had to go or lose your benefits and then old Wolf comes out and says the opposite. So if someone loses their unemployment for not going back can they sue Governor Wolf for stating they did not. I am thinking he should have had the true info before opening his dumbass mouth

Every time the Government IMPOSES new Regulations to Protect Us, we LOSE a Little MORE of our FREEDOMS....

MORE Government = LESS Freedom

On 5/1/2021 at 5:03 PM, fedup said:

TA DAH 

Even skilled workers will be competitive because if $15 were the minimum, they could easily move on to a less stressful job.  Their employers (basically insurance companies) would have to ante up or lose their best skilled workers.  I'm sure it would all even up in the end.  Government needs to involve itself in getting people education and skills, not mandate what they earn.  Let the common market and their skills speak to their paycheck.  Getting more money for doing only a fair job isn't what will work over the long run.

Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Petee said:

Even skilled workers will be competitive because if $15 were the minimum, they could easily move on to a less stressful job.  Their employers (basically insurance companies) would have to ante up or lose their best skilled workers.  I'm sure it would all even up in the end.  Government needs to involve itself in getting people education and skills, not mandate what they earn.  Let the common market and their skills speak to their paycheck.  Getting more money for doing only a fair job isn't what will work over the long run.

Didnt last week Biden say there are enough jobs where you dont need an Associates or Bachelor's degree?  If that's the case people should be responsible for their own financing of college. Not government. But that requires work. Today people dont want to work.  If Iwas interviewing people after September when unemployment runs out for a job, Id ask them why they were out of work for 12-15 months.

2 hours ago, Petee said:

The government needs to get out of people's lives.

Wages and bennies are between the employer and employee. 

The first time the government demands certain things is the first step of controlling people's lives.

Humans have the right to freedom of control by others. That's it. It's up to us to better ourselves. 

When the government starts dictating what a human is worth it starts the slippery slope of prejudice against certain people.

On 5/2/2021 at 7:56 AM, Lyndsey33 said:

Under the Covid bills, if you felt 'unsafe' going back to work, you can still claim UC even if your job is there and available. As a supervisor, I had to deal with it and am still dealing with it.  (not hard work starting at $12 an hour) I started hiring replacements when I could and someone would apply, but as you can see, not many people willing to work right now and lose their $$  for nothing . . .

How about those who work and get abuse and backlash from customers who complain about everything??? It's not the server's fault that the cook called in sick and there's no back up. Dissatisfaction = no tip. Server's bust their butts to make money and keep people happy and it's difficult when you're stretched like a rubber band and doing the job of 3 other people. For what?? For people to complain and expect some kind of compensation for having to wait for their order. It's borderline abuse and it's no wonder people aren't going back to work.

16 minutes ago, flowerpower said:

How about those who work and get abuse and backlash from customers who complain about everything??? It's not the server's fault that the cook called in sick and there's no back up. Dissatisfaction = no tip. Server's bust their butts to make money and keep people happy and it's difficult when you're stretched like a rubber band and doing the job of 3 other people. For what?? For people to complain and expect some kind of compensation for having to wait for their order. It's borderline abuse and it's no wonder people aren't going back to work.

I understand this completely but right now there's enough opportunities out there that if some one isn't happy with what they do, there's many other options for employment right now. I think your future is in your own hands, don't like it make a change.