Jump to content
GoDuBois.com
  • LOW PRICES
  • LOW PRICES
  • LOW PRICES

Main Suspect In Madeline McCann Case Investigated For 2004 Rape Of Irish Woman


Recommended Posts

Published

Main suspect in Madeline McCann case investigated for 2004 rape of Irish woman

Behan notified police of her 2004 assault after recognizing Brückner during a video appeal related to McCann's disappearance.

By Bradford Betz I Fox News

Fox News Flash top headlines for May 3

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what's clicking on Foxnews.com.

The chief suspect in the disappearance of Madeline McCann in 2007 is reportedly being investigated by German authorities for allegedly raping a 20-year-old Irish woman in 2004, according to Monday reports. 

German national Christian Brückner is suspected of attacking and raping Hazel Behan in her apartment in Praia da Rocha, a beach resort in southern Portugal. 

Brückner sexually abused a child in 1994 in Germany before moving to Portugal.

Brückner sexually abused a child in 1994 in Germany before moving to Portugal. (Getty Images)

In June 2020, British authorities announced that Brückner had been identified as a suspect in the disappearance of McCann. The three-year-old British girl was vacationing with her family in Praia da Luz in May 2007 when she vanished from her hotel room where she and her siblings were sleeping. Brückner, now 44, was in and around the Praia da Luz resort area at the time of the girl’s disappearance.

Brückner sexually abused a child in 1994 in Germany before moving to Portugal prior to serving time in connection with the alleged crime. After returning to Germany to face his time, Brückner moved back to Portugal.

Behan notified police of her 2004 assault after recognizing Brückner during a video appeal related to McCann's disappearance, the Irish Examiner reported. The area where she was raped, Praia da Rocha, is roughly 15 miles from the area where Brückner was living at the time of McCann’s disappearance.

Madeleine McCann went missing in 2007 from her family's apartment in Portugal. 

Madeleine McCann went missing in 2007 from her family's apartment in Portugal.  (Family Handout)

Brückner is now serving prison time in Germany for raping an American woman in Praia da Luz in 2005. Authorities named him last year as the chief suspect in McCann’s disappearance.

Police reopened Behan’s case last summer. Behan told the Guardian around that time that Brückner’s attack on the American woman was similar to the one she had experienced.

The investigation into Brückner comes on the 14th anniversary of McCann’s disappearance and just over a week before her 18th birthday. In a Monday Facebook post, McCann’s parents said they "hang on to the hope" that their daughter is still alive and are "truly grateful" for the support they’ve received.

"As we have said repeatedly, we need to know what has happened to our lovely daughter, no matter what," they wrote. "We are very grateful to the police for their continued efforts."                                                                                                                                                                                          https://www.foxnews.com/us/german-man-chief-suspect-madeline-mccann-case-investigated-2004-rape-irish-woman

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
Published

Madeleine McCann suspect breaks silence to slam investigation

Christian Brückner, 44, accused prosecutors of persecuting him

By Jackie Salo | New York Post

Fox News Flash top headlines for June 14

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what's clicking on Foxnews.com.

The prime suspect in Madeleine McCann’s disappearance has broken his silence, calling the investigation an "unbelievable scandal" and ridiculing prosecutors in Germany for continuing to zero in on him despite failing to bring charges.

German national Christian Brückner, 44, accused prosecutors of persecuting him in a handwritten statement released Monday from prison, where he’s serving time for the 2005 rape of a 72-year-old woman in the same area of Portugal where the British toddler went missing, the Telegraph reported.

 

"Charging someone with a crime is one thing. It is something completely different, namely an unbelievable scandal, when a public prosecutor starts a public prejudicial campaign before proceedings are even opened," he said.

"You have proved worldwide, through arbitrary convictions in the past and through scandalous prejudicial campaigns in the present, that you are unsuitable for the office of an ‘advocate for the honest and German people who trust in justice,’ and that you bring shame to the German legal system."

Brückner — who lived abroad in southern Portugal for more than a decade — was named as the prime suspect last year in the disappearance of Madeleine, a 3-year-old girl who vanished from her bedroom during a family vacation there in 2007.

Christian Brueckner (Getty Images); Madeleine McCann (Handout)

Christian Brueckner (Getty Images); Madeleine McCann (Handout)

German prosecutors have said they have "concrete evidence" she is dead and are treating the case as a murder, though no remains have ever been found.

"If you knew the evidence we had, you would come to the same conclusion as I do," Braunschweig state prosecutor Hans Christian Wolte told the BBC.

"I can’t promise, I can’t guarantee that we have enough to bring a charge, but I’m very confident because what we have so far doesn’t allow any other conclusion at all."

Along with his handwritten statement Monday, Brückner included a drawing of the prosecutors in a restaurant ordering a "fillet of forensic" — a reference to prosecutors’ acknowledgment that they don’t have "forensic evidence" tying him to the case, the Telegraph reported.

Madeleine’s parents, Kate and Gerry, have remained hopeful over the years that they would find their daughter alive.

"All we have ever wanted is to find her, uncover the truth and bring those responsible to justice," her parents said in a statement last year.

"We will never give up hope of finding Madeleine alive but whatever the outcome may be, we need to know as we need to find peace."

To read more from the New York Post, click here.                                                                  https://www.foxnews.com/world/madeleine-mccann-suspect-breaks-silence-to-slam-investigation

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...