GoDuBois.com
  • LOW PRICES
  • LOW PRICES
  • LOW PRICES

6 in” numbers

Guest Elvis

We meet the deadline for 6” numbers on are house facing the road,now its May 6 and the City of Dubois said if there not on by the end of April there will be a $100.00 fine well there is a lot of numbers not changed and I don’t see no fines if you are going to I force a city ordinance then in force it did my share what is good for one should be good for all, I myself think it is a stupid law probably some college person or someone had a lot of time on there hands and thought of this next will be if your sidewalk is dirty you will get a fine or pay for the air you breathe 

4 hours ago, Guest Elvis said:

We meet the deadline for 6” numbers on are house facing the road,now its May 6 and the City of Dubois said if there not on by the end of April there will be a $100.00 fine well there is a lot of numbers not changed and I don’t see no fines if you are going to I force a city ordinance then in force it did my share what is good for one should be good for all, I myself think it is a stupid law probably some college person or someone had a lot of time on there hands and thought of this next will be if your sidewalk is dirty you will get a fine or pay for the air you breathe 

This made not one bit of sense. I am in no way, shape, or form a grammar expert, but my goodness. This is why others make governmental decisions, not you. 

Having numbers on your house or end of driveway is for your own good. Fire Dept. or ambulance can find your house a lot faster with address visible.  Do you realize how hard it to find a dark blue house at 2 AM that sets off the road by 300-400 ft off the road without numbers at end of drive way.  We had a call one time on fairly used back road.  Caller stated there was a silver mailbox along the road (no numbers). Do you realize how many silver mail boxes are along a road?

A long time ago, pre-911, the telephone in the Brockway fire house rang.

"Brockway Fire Department."

"My house is on fire. Get out here. (click)"

The fellow answering the phone set off the fire alarm to get people to the station and figured that whoever it was would call back. Sure enough the phone rang:

"Brockway Fire Department."

"Where the H*** are you? My house is on fire. Get out here!" but the fireman quickly got in "Where are you?"

"You know where I live! (click)."

As it turned out, the fellow answering the phone DID recognize the caller's voice and did know where he lived. Fire truck went there and sure enough, the house was on fire. One of the advantages of living in a small town.

10 hours ago, Guest Elvis said:

First, this post should be in the dictionary beside the word "moronic".

Second.  What makes YOU think YOU will see the fines?  They don't post a big notice on the houses saying "YOU ARE FINED".  They typically mail them to those they are going to fine.

Third.  You have zero idea the amount of time it takes ONE zoning officer to drive every residential street in the city, compile a list of non-compliant addresses, and then mail the fines to those that will get them.  6 days is a laughable timeline and unrealistic.  Why don't YOU volunteer your time and help them out and compile a list of every address not in compliance and give it to them?

It isn't something that is being asked to waste your time.  It is for emergency personnel (fire, ambulance, police) to easily locate the addresses they are asked to respond to.  Don't comply...don't b**** if you need an ambulance and die waiting because they can't find you.  Don't comply...don't b**** when your house burns to ashes when they can't find you.  Don't comply...don't b**** when you are robbed blind, beat half to death, etc. when the police are unable to locate your residence.  Don't even open your mouth and say "they have GPS".  If you have used GPS, you know full well it is not 100% on locations.  I can punch my house into GPS...it will take you to my neighbor's house.  I can punch my friend's house into GPS...it locates her house in the middle of the pond on the adjacent property to where she lives.

How about you quit bitching and worrying about what everyone around you is or is not doing.  Mind your business, and know that you complied with something that has the ability to save your damn life.

21 hours ago, Guest Elvis said:

First off, how do you know there have been no fines. It isn't like they advertise who they are fining.  Secondly, you said you did your part by adding a # to your house so don't worry about others. A number is a very minimal thing to have to purchase and display. 

I went to the local hardware store when this ordinance was first published (back in March) and they did not have the particular font of the numbers available. 

A few weeks ago the sign at Ace posted that the numbers were in. I got my numbers and finally got them up.

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATE0Yz