GoDuBois.com

Pa. Joins 16 Other States Considering Mileage Fee To Replace Gas Tax

mr.d

Pa. joins 16 other states considering mileage fee to replace gas tax

by: Kate Sweigart

Posted:  / Updated: 

(WHTM) — Pennsylvania could get rid of the gas tax, but drivers would still pay to hit the road.

The commonwealth is joined by 16 other states as members of the Eastern Transportation Coalition, formerly known as the I-95 Corridor Coalition, a group looking at replacing the gas tax with a mileage fee.

Every vehicle would have a mileage counter that tracks usage. Then, drivers would be taxed on that data.

“As fuel efficiency increases and more electric vehicles are on the road, the amount motorists pay to use our transportation system becomes more linked to the amount of fuel purchased versus the number of miles they drive,” the ETC explains on a page dedicated to the MBUF study. “A mileage-based user fee (MBUF) model provides a different approach: pay for what you use.”

States stand to lose gas tax money with the rise of electric vehicles. This idea, though, is still in the study phase.

For a map of gas prices in the Midstate, visit abc27’s Gas Price map!

The study began in 2018 when the coalition launched its first “passenger vehicle pilot” as means to learn the ways in which a mileage-based user fee would work, in comparison to a gas tax. The study also considers the Eastern Seaboard perspective to the mix.

Since then, the coalition has focused on several passenger vehicles and commercial trucks.                                                                                               SEE VIDEO REPORT   ;  https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/regional-news/pa-joins-16-other-states-considering-mileage-fee-to-replace-gas-tax/

Just more Liberal government intervention in our freedoms to move about in our once great country.

When is it gonna stop?

When will the voting Liberals say, enough is enough? Give us our freedoms like you offer the illegal lawbreakers invading our country.

1 hour ago, allboys said:

No.  

The number of miles I drive is of no concern to the government.  It is not information they need.

They are going to face a lot of backlash over this one, especially the conspiracy theorists that will worry about being tracked.

Every year when you renew your Pennsylvania tag there is a spot for the mileage on the vehicle renewal application. So big brother knows your mileage.

12 hours ago, BigT said:

Every year when you renew your Pennsylvania tag there is a spot for the mileage on the vehicle renewal application. So big brother knows your mileage.

No. I don't go read my odometer when I fill that out

16 hours ago, BigT said:

Not me , I drive old stuff , my title clearly states " exempt from odometer disclosure"  

4 hours ago, Lizard said:

I like the idea of no gas tax, but not being track. I don't put a lot miles but pulling the camper burns down some fuel. I'd probably save money

If you think the gas tax is going away, I want some of what you are smokin. Government imposed taxes and programs NEVER go away.

1 hour ago, raisin said:

If you think the gas tax is going away, I want some of what you are smokin. Government imposed taxes and programs NEVER go away.

i think we are still paying a tax on liquor in Pennsylvania from the 1889 Johnstown Flood.

3 hours ago, fedup said:

Don't forget, those who drive the coal burning electric cars pays no taxes for the roads they use.

And i think that's the reason they want this change. They will be losing to much money

44 minutes ago, BigT said:

i think we are still paying a tax on liquor in Pennsylvania from the 1889 Johnstown Flood.

Don't forget we still pay for CAT fund if you get cited. That was supposed to be temporary.

16 hours ago, fedup said:

Don't forget, those who drive the coal burning electric cars pays no taxes for the roads they use.

BS, not all electricity is produced in coal burning electric plants, electric vehicles still pay the tax on registration renewal, state inspection, tire tax, etc which are all supposed to be used for maintaining the highways.

No I don’t currently own an electric vehicle but like it or not it is the future.

Most electric is now created with gas. The older coal burning plants are being phased out.  Why do you think Biden wants everything to go to electric?  Then they can tax it to death and we will have no recourse unless you know how to make your own biofuel.

They are working on bankrupting the country anyway.

22 hours ago, Eastman said:

BS, not all electricity is produced in coal burning electric plants, electric vehicles still pay the tax on registration renewal, state inspection, tire tax, etc which are all supposed to be used for maintaining the highways.

No I don’t currently own an electric vehicle but like it or not it is the future.

How many tax dollars are spent subsidizing electric vehicles?

18 hours ago, Petee said:

Most electric is now created with gas. The older coal burning plants are being phased out.  Why do you think Biden wants everything to go to electric?  Then they can tax it to death and we will have no recourse unless you know how to make your own biofuel.

They are working on bankrupting the country anyway.

Petee,

The good old USA was well on the way to bankruptcy before Biden and the others were elected. Paying for our troops in Afghanistan and elsewhere was a huge drain on our country.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 8:24 AM, fedup said:

How many tax dollars are spent subsidizing electric vehicles?

How many tax dollars are spent subsidizing lazy ass people who don’t want to work?

Why not set up an electric use tax on cars that are registered to specific owners?   

Only they get billed this tax based on milage recorded at inspection time. 

Better yet, impose a one time lifetime electric use tax at purchase that covers the life of the car. 

They want to save the planet, let them pay for it up front.