GoDuBois.com

Sandy no on consolidation

32 minutes ago, DuB814 said:

Please tell me your response was just rhetoric and not actually what you believe? If not, my goodness, you have to leave your homestead every once in a while to see the rest of the country and how successful areas operate. As it has been said many times before, NO ONE IS COMING TO TAKE YOUR LAND OR BUILD SKY SKRAPERS IN YOUR BACK YARD. Sandy TWP is growing as such a slow rate that is cannot keep up with its expenditures, as it seems, which is why their taxes are almost maxed out. PLEASE, FOR THE SAKE OF EVERYONE, WAKE UP! 

Yup. They think if they join that a skyscraper will be built on their property and their taxes will jump twofold.  It’s all based On fear and lies. 

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't think that anyone would not think that State College is thriving. They are building housing everywhere. We bought a place there and it wasn't outrageously expensive. Certainly, if you want a m

Who exactly is "they"?  Are you expecting the feudal lords of DuBois to swoop in, lay claim to all the the eye can see, and turn Sandy residents into peasants?   If you gathered 20 random pe

I am going to do all I can to rectify the no votes of the Supervisors. Only about 350 signatures are needed to get Consolidation on the ballot. Let the voters decide!!!!  

Posted Images

Having gone to PSU in the 80's and now see it now. I can understand Sandy Township people.  The example is the last 30 years the "Greater" State College has expanded even without consolidation with neighboring Townships to an outstretched urban type area in the farmlands. What major industry is now there outside of restaurants, chain retail, and a major(Liberal) University.   I forgot to mention being a Landlord.  That's big business.  Retail is down. Corning and Owens Illinois closed or down to a trickle.  Even longtime famous bars( like Rathskellar and previously the Train Station)) have closed.  Ill take the State College of the 80's on this point.  I can understand the Sandy people and dont have to go far to see an example.   I like consolidation. Done properly. But on this one, Ill even have to disagree with my Go Dubois friend Pennstater.

2 hours ago, jaman said:

Having gone to PSU in the 80's and now see it now. I can understand Sandy Township people.  The example is the last 30 years the "Greater" State College has expanded even without consolidation with neighboring Townships to an outstretched urban type area in the farmlands. What major industry is now there outside of restaurants, chain retail, and a major(Liberal) University.   I forgot to mention being a Landlord.  That's big business.  Retail is down. Corning and Owens Illinois closed or down to a trickle.  Even longtime famous bars( like Rathskellar and previously the Train Station)) have closed.  Ill take the State College of the 80's on this point.  I can understand the Sandy people and dont have to go far to see an example.   I like consolidation. Done properly. But on this one, Ill even have to disagree with my Go Dubois friend Pennstater.

Your analysis does not make one bit of sense.

The Corning Asahi plant closed because it made TV picture tubes.

The State College area has nothing to do with Sandy/DuBois Consolidation

8 hours ago, DuB814 said:

Please tell me your response was just rhetoric and not actually what you believe? If not, my goodness, you have to leave your homestead every once in a while to see the rest of the country and how successful areas operate. As it has been said many times before, NO ONE IS COMING TO TAKE YOUR LAND OR BUILD SKY SKRAPERS IN YOUR BACK YARD. Sandy TWP is growing as such a slow rate that is cannot keep up with its expenditures, as it seems, which is why their taxes are almost maxed out. PLEASE, FOR THE SAKE OF EVERYONE, WAKE UP! 

Trust me, I've been out there in the big cities, both living and working.  I still visit several and always want to come back to the peace here in Sandy.  There's more to life than money.  Give our supervisors some credit for what they've done, not just complaints because you don't have the best and biggest.  If your taxes are too high, then go somewhere else where they're lower and enjoy that hubbub.

12 hours ago, Petee said:

Trust me, I've been out there in the big cities, both living and working.  I still visit several and always want to come back to the peace here in Sandy.  There's more to life than money.  Give our supervisors some credit for what they've done, not just complaints because you don't have the best and biggest.  If your taxes are too high, then go somewhere else where they're lower and enjoy that hubbub.

Since we are on this topic, what have the supervisors done? The roads, for the most part, are subpar, there are very little amenities to use besides the ones in Treasure Lake and the City of DuBois, the TWP owns very little of anything, they ran their water and sewage lines into the ground to the point beyond repair, they try very little to bring anything new to the area to stimulate growth or prosperity to the community, continue to fight against city officials instead of work with them for a more common good, raised taxes to the point of being near max, etc... should I keep going?

Maybe I am bitter because it seems more logical to try to work with one another for the betterment of the DuBois area instead of always working against each other. Maybe I am bitter because I have hopes of what could be instead of what will never be. Maybe I am bitter because I don't want to see this area end up like so many more in a deep economic state of depression with nothing left for people. Maybe I am bitter because I want people in this area to make a good income and do better for themselves. 

Maybe, just maybe, this can all be possible someday if we move forward as one instead of segregating each other. 

1 hour ago, DuB814 said:

Since we are on this topic, what have the supervisors done? The roads, for the most part, are subpar, there are very little amenities to use besides the ones in Treasure Lake and the City of DuBois, the TWP owns very little of anything, they ran their water and sewage lines into the ground to the point beyond repair, they try very little to bring anything new to the area to stimulate growth or prosperity to the community, continue to fight against city officials instead of work with them for a more common good, raised taxes to the point of being near max, etc... should I keep going?

Maybe I am bitter because it seems more logical to try to work with one another for the betterment of the DuBois area instead of always working against each other. Maybe I am bitter because I have hopes of what could be instead of what will never be. Maybe I am bitter because I don't want to see this area end up like so many more in a deep economic state of depression with nothing left for people. Maybe I am bitter because I want people in this area to make a good income and do better for themselves. 

Maybe, just maybe, this can all be possible someday if we move forward as one instead of segregating each other. 

Sandy water customers are bound by the 30 year agreement which makes our rates close to the highest in the state. Plus planned increases are built into the rates. 

Consolidation gets rid of the agreement and sets a rate that is the same for all customers. 

http://www.thecourierexpress.com/news/new-sewer-rates-detailed-in-30-year-agreement-between-dubois-sandy-twp/article_f0cad777-cffa-52f8-8ead-509dc45357f9.html

14 hours ago, Petee said:

Great. Now let’s do it together.  Not as a bickering segregated small community.  It has clearly not worked well being separated.  

4 hours ago, pennstater said:

Great. Now let’s do it together.  Not as a bickering segregated small community.  It has clearly not worked well being separated.  

Of course businesses want the consolidation, but not at the cost of those who live here.  

This is a beautiful area and such a peaceful place to live unless you've camped out in the middle of a lot of other homes.  

Our township has clean water, forests, excellent road care, enough amenities to satisfy the old and new citizens.  We don't need a lot of new people moving in to change it.  Places like Sandy need to survive or be swallowed, contaminated and used up.  There is so much here and so much has been done carefully, why discredit what HAS been done?  

It keeps up with the times without destroying the living conditions.  

As I said before, and everyone keeps ignoring, realistically and knowledgeably describe what will change.  How will farms be treated differently, and how will different types of homes be allowed to be different?  What businesses will come in that we don't already have enough of? 

As far as the water is concerned, basically DuBois and the state control it.  Sandy does little other than to buy it and distribute it to their customers, and then pay the city a huge amount for it.  While I hear tons about the antiquated system with leaks in the city, I hear very little about problems in the township lines.  Many of us here in the township are regulated by the state with our own wells and sewage systems.  We pay our own bills so we're not part of the community burden.

Our entire country is sinking into laziness and a social welfare system that will end up eating us alive, weaker ones first!  Let those who choose to live, working a little harder and more responsibly, keep doing it!  Those who want to continue to move into the loving arms of a government we can't trust not to shove things down our throats still have a place that they can do exactly that.  Both sides need their own space.  The next thing that I see is a sneak attack from some kind of legal maneuvering trying to take for themselves what the majority has already spoken on.

40 minutes ago, Petee said:

Of course businesses want the consolidation, but not at the cost of those who live here.  

This is a beautiful area and such a peaceful place to live unless you've camped out in the middle of a lot of other homes.  

Our township has clean water, forests, excellent road care, enough amenities to satisfy the old and new citizens.  We don't need a lot of new people moving in to change it.  Places like Sandy need to survive or be swallowed, contaminated and used up.  There is so much here and so much has been done carefully, why discredit what HAS been done?  

As I said before, and everyone keeps ignoring, realistically and knowledgeably describe what will change.  How will farms be treated differently, and how will different types of homes be allowed to be different?  What businesses will come in that we don't already have enough of? 

As far as the water is concerned, basically DuBois and the state control it.  Sandy does little other than to buy it and distribute it to their customers, and then pay the city a huge amount for it.  While I hear tons about the antiquated system with leaks in the city, I hear very little about problems in the township lines.  Many of us here in the township are regulated by the state with our own wells and sewage systems.  We pay our own bills so we're not part of the community burden.

Our entire country is sinking into laziness and a social welfare system that will end up eating us alive, weaker ones first!  Let those who choose to live, working a little harder and more responsibly, keep doing it!  Those who want to continue to move into the loving arms of a government we can't trust not to shove things down our throats still have a place that they can do exactly that.  Both sides need their own space.  The next thing that I see is a sneak attack from some kind of legal maneuvering trying to take for themselves what the majority has already spoken on.

Again. Much ado about nothing here. Nothing you stated about Sandy will change.  It’s nothing but fear and conjecture what you are stating.  Move forward.  Together as a single community.  End the in-fighting…..already. 

49 minutes ago, Petee said:

If you would read the Consolidation report you would see that the zoning would be exactly the same for Sandy Township as it is now.

The Township water customers have been paying millions of dollars extra to the city because so much storm water leaked into the city sewer plants. This was proven when the City of DuBois required flow meters be installed in the lines to measure the infiltration of rain water into the sewer lines. The township is now required to purchase new flow meters which could cost up to $500,000.  

The only "Sneak Attack" you will be seeing is a Citizen petition to place the Consolidation on the ballot to be voted on.

Initiative of electors seeking consolidation or merger with new home rule charter.

(a)  General rule.--In order for a commission and consolidation or merger proceedings to be initiated by petition of electors, petitions containing signatures of at least 5% of the number of electors voting for the office of Governor in the last gubernatorial general election in each municipality proposed to be consolidated or merged shall be filed with the county board of elections of the county in which the municipality, or the greater portion of its territory, is located. The petition shall set forth:

(1)  The name of the municipality from which the signers of the petition were obtained.

(2)  The names of the municipalities proposed to be consolidated or merged.

(3)  An estimated cost of the study commission.

(4)  The number of persons to compose the commission.

(5)  The petition question which shall read as follows:

Shall a Government Study Commission of (seven, nine or eleven) members be elected to study the issue of consolidation or merger of (municipalities to be consolidated or merged); to provide a recommendation on consolidation or merger; to consider the advisability of the adoption of a new home rule charter; and to draft a new home rule charter, if recommended in the report of the commission?

(6)  The following statement:

Only municipalities voting in the affirmative on the question will be held responsible for the costs of the study commission.

(b)  Notice to governing bodies affected.--When election officials find that a petition is in proper order, they shall send copies of the initiative petition without the signatures thereon to the governing bodies of each of the municipalities affected

53 minutes ago, Petee said:

Again, you have got to be kidding me! Everything you just stated are fact less statements that are solely opinion based. One Google search and you can find a ton of information on the Sandy TWP water and sewage lines and how they are in terrible shape. As far as them paying the city a huge amount, again, fact less statements. The TWP charges the I&I surcharge to offset the costs of maintaining and repairing the water and sewage lines owned by them. It is the TWP who charges a ridiculous amount to THIER customers. I could be wrong on this too, but for the longest time, if not the current time, the TWP customers paid less than the city customers for water. Keyser knows more about this than I do. I am sure he can post the numbers!

This is the problem, people voting who are uneducated about what they are voting for or on. AS IT HAS BEEN STATED MANY TIMES BEFORE, YOU WILL KEEP YOU LAND AND HOMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET ME REPEAT THAT, YOU WILL KEEP YOUR LAND AND HOMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

As far as the "majority has already spoken," the last time I checked and did math, 33% of people stating they don't want consolidation compared to 49% who said the currently do for TWP residents is not a majority. As far as undecided voters, I would like to think that it would not be to hard to get another 2% of the undecided voters to vote yes to give a certain majority. 

In the end though, it does not matter that facts can be posted to back up claims because you will still continue to think someone is coming for your land. 

29 minutes ago, pennstater said:

Again. Much ado about nothing here. Nothing you stated about Sandy will change.  It’s nothing but fear and conjecture what you are stating.  Move forward.  Together as a single community.  End the in-fighting…..already. 

Back up your statements with FACTS!!  Otherwise it's just a shot in the dark.

What businesses will come in that we don't already have enough of? 

are you saying we have enough businesses, please tell me thats not what you ment....if you mean pizza places, banks, bars? ok I get that....Who knows what kind of business might want to come here....at 1 time there was talk of cabelas coming here....what happened to the big conference center behind dr doolittles.....there are alot of things that businesses like  but right now we cant even keep a mall open, how big of a fight was it to get a different food store in here...not much has changed since  I got out of school in 77....yes 77   rockwell changed its name and the the cheese place on okl. salam rd took over where McDowell use to be....wow,,,lots of growth, no wonder kids dont stick around

The whole area needs to change. The only way I see that happening to to encourage the influx of new people who are going to change the status quo. That is probably going to take consolidation.  If an area doesn't grow it stagnates and dies and your children and grandchildren move across the country to find work. I don't know how many cases I've heard of recently where doctors, in particular, were hired by Penn Highlands only to have their families take one look at the area and refuse to move. The most peaceful place is a cemetery.  I guess we can have that if we are willing to stop evolving. 

1 hour ago, Petee said:

Back up your statements with FACTS!!  Otherwise it's just a shot in the dark.

??? You are the one making false statements and claiming things you don’t know; as if you can see in the future (which is a lie btw)  Not me. 
My statement has always been the same.  We must move forward.  As one. I don’t hold onto grudges or bickering from 100 years ago!  Let it go.  Move forward and let’s act like a single community that we should be.  

1 hour ago, DuB814 said:

Again, you have got to be kidding me! Everything you just stated are fact less statements that are solely opinion based. One Google search and you can find a ton of information on the Sandy TWP water and sewage lines and how they are in terrible shape. As far as them paying the city a huge amount, again, fact less statements. The TWP charges the I&I surcharge to offset the costs of maintaining and repairing the water and sewage lines owned by them. It is the TWP who charges a ridiculous amount to THIER customers. I could be wrong on this too, but for the longest time, if not the current time, the TWP customers paid less than the city customers for water. Keyser knows more about this than I do. I am sure he can post the numbers!

This is the problem, people voting who are uneducated about what they are voting for or on. AS IT HAS BEEN STATED MANY TIMES BEFORE, YOU WILL KEEP YOU LAND AND HOMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET ME REPEAT THAT, YOU WILL KEEP YOUR LAND AND HOMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

As far as the "majority has already spoken," the last time I checked and did math, 33% of people stating they don't want consolidation compared to 49% who said the currently do for TWP residents is not a majority. As far as undecided voters, I would like to think that it would not be to hard to get another 2% of the undecided voters to vote yes to give a certain majority. 

In the end though, it does not matter that facts can be posted to back up claims because you will still continue to think someone is coming for your land. 

Yes. It’s  simply ignorance my friend.    They are fear based.  They have no proof of anything.  Pure speculation. They’d rather staying stuck with a depressed and shrinking area then try and hope for a better future. Ignorance is bliss when you are afraid. We are a depressed and bankrupt area with no money for our infrastructure and they think that’s good.  Clearly it hasn’t worked for 100 years. But they fear any change.  Hence the young leaving. 

53 minutes ago, lavender said:

The whole area needs to change. The only way I see that happening to to encourage the influx of new people who are going to change the status quo. That is probably going to take consolidation.  If an area doesn't grow it stagnates and dies and your children and grandchildren move across the country to find work. I don't know how many cases I've heard of recently where doctors, in particular, were hired by Penn Highlands only to have their families take one look at the area and refuse to move. The most peaceful place is a cemetery.  I guess we can have that if we are willing to stop evolving. 

That can't be true, Petee said there are a ton of amenities for people in the area. That is exactly what is happening, we drive people out and away instead of drawing them here to stay! Oh, don't forget them luxurious roads we have to drive on. 

1 hour ago, WMJ77 said:

..what happened to the big conference center behind dr doolittles..

Doc Rice has had nothing but problems and issues with Sandy Twp for many years now. He could of quit fighting them knuckleheads a long time ago but give him credit for being a patient person. He's had very little issues with the city on redoing the buildings downtown.

19 minutes ago, BillyC said:

Doc Rice has had nothing but problems and issues with Sandy Twp for many years now. He could of quit fighting them knuckleheads a long time ago but give him credit for being a patient person. He's had very little issues with the city on redoing the buildings downtown.

Imagine that! 

3 hours ago, Petee said:

That is why I used the theory comparison of State College area. State College is landlocked. Dubois is landlocked. I was there when it was starting to expand up North Atherton. I saw the farmlands turn to residential and commercial. Especially out by Geisinger Grays Woods.  The Colonade Shopping area.  Patton and Ferguson townships have there own services. So why consolidate? Except for one entity.  The fire department. Alpha Fire Company is also volunteer.   They have 2 substations in the townships. And cover all the area.  So that is not a problem reorganizing. Also, State College is building and renovating schools just like Dubois. They have tax issues, too. Even with Penn State there.  But the Townships are doing fine.  With small commercial and residential renting.  Small Commercial and retail like Sandy.   Would I like to see them Consolidate down there? In that case YES.  Now,  I keep hearing about Penn Highlands here. They are not PSU and they dont pay much in taxes.  Do I think Consolidation would work here? Yes, but you have to have the right people to manage it. From reading in the paper over the years, whether its Treasure Lake, Dubois, or Sandy Twp, people dont think the area has been managed right.  Ill go to my coffin saying they built business on the wrong exit. And people can agree to disagree to that..  My advice is to run for office to some of these  people  thatarent happy. I did that in the past. And was successful.  Serve a couple years and got out. They liked my ideas but never acted on them. I got out.  I see both ends of this Dubois/Sandy action. This was brought up in the 70's and we are still here. 

24 minutes ago, jaman said:

That is why I used the theory comparison of State College area. State College is landlocked. Dubois is landlocked. I was there when it was starting to expand up North Atherton. I saw the farmlands turn to residential and commercial. Especially out by Geisinger Grays Woods.  The Colonade Shopping area.  Patton and Ferguson townships have there own services. So why consolidate? Except for one entity.  The fire department. Alpha Fire Company is also volunteer.   They have 2 substations in the townships. And cover all the area.  So that is not a problem reorganizing. Also, State College is building and renovating schools just like Dubois. They have tax issues, too. Even with Penn State there.  But the Townships are doing fine.  With small commercial and residential renting.  Small Commercial and retail like Sandy.   Would I like to see them Consolidate down there? In that case YES.  Now,  I keep hearing about Penn Highlands here. They are not PSU and they dont pay much in taxes.  Do I think Consolidation would work here? Yes, but you have to have the right people to manage it. From reading in the paper over the years, whether its Treasure Lake, Dubois, or Sandy Twp, people dont think the area has been managed right.  Ill go to my coffin saying they built business on the wrong exit. And people can agree to disagree to that..  My advice is to run for office to some of these  people  thatarent happy. I did that in the past. And was successful.  Serve a couple years and got out. They liked my ideas but never acted on them. I got out.  I see both ends of this Dubois/Sandy action. This was brought up in the 70's and we are still here. 

TIMELINE

A bit of history...

In the late 1960s, the state of Pennsylvania advocated regional cooperation among municipalities as a way to reduce costs. Already, local governments cooperated on parks operation through the State College Parks and Recreation Department and on zoning through the Regional Planning Commission. However, when the idea was proposed for a regional council of governments, township citizens worried that they would lose governmental control to the Borough of State College and that taxes would rise.

Despite those fears, the Centre Region Council of Governments (COG) was formed in December 1969, and today it includes State College Borough and College, Ferguson, Halfmoon, Harris, and Patton townships. When COG celebrated its 20th anniversary in 1989, Mayor Arnold Addison noted, “This most effective, cooperative government did not begin as a love feast among or between the municipal representatives. ... Here was an effort which involved reducing, if not eliminating, the suspicions that had been fed and nurtured between the borough and the townships over the period of many years.”

Today the Centre Region Council of Governments is arguably the most successful COG in the state of Pennsylvania and a model to the nation through its steadfast work by the areas elected officials and COG staff, and the shared commitment to intergovernmental cooperation that exists for the residents who live, work and play in the Centre Region.

46 minutes ago, jaman said:

State College Area  just spent 200 million dollars on their schools the last 5 years so they are not hurting for money.

https://www.scasd.org/Domain/1891

https://www.scasd.org/elementaryplan

1 hour ago, jaman said:

Sandy TWP retail stores seem to be packing up and move quicker than they are planting. The plazas all have multiple empty store fronts. The mall has more open stores than they have current stores, so it seems. I can only assume this is due to the dwindling population. 

3 hours ago, pennstater said:

??? You are the one making false statements and claiming things you don’t know; as if you can see in the future (which is a lie btw)  Not me. 
My statement has always been the same.  We must move forward.  As one. I don’t hold onto grudges or bickering from 100 years ago!  Let it go.  Move forward and let’s act like a single community that we should be.  

Still no facts!