GoDuBois.com

Sandy no on consolidation

35 minutes ago, DuB814 said:

Sandy TWP retail stores seem to be packing up and move quicker than they are planting. The plazas all have multiple empty store fronts. The mall has more open stores than they have current stores, so it seems. I can only assume this is due to the dwindling population. 

It is not dwindling population.  The Mall stores that drew people in huge numbers are gone in favor of those with which the owner had contracts already, or those who were willing to pay a much higher rent.  The stores keeping the whole place open are those surrounding the property, not the ones in the big building which has become a liability.  I stopped shopping there when it became harder to find regular household stuff, no everyday commodities, and there are no carts to make it easier to shop.  I don't want to park and run all around the mall in hopes that I'll find one thing on my list that I need.  It's easier to go to Walmart where I park, get a cart and can fid about everything I need!  Occasionally I go to the outer stores if I have to find a rarer item than Walmart carries, but inside, no.  I don't want to have to carry my coat, or purse, lug purchases to the car so I can carry more, walk for unnecessary distances, no place for lunch, just junk food, no one I know (or see) to visit with.

The Mall used to be set up to serve the common people, not only specific groups.  The connected stores such as Big Lots and Ross have essentials and interesting novel stuff, and CARTS!!

I also do not want to move the car from location to location to hunt all through the plazas for what I need that they MIGHT have.  I do not shop for entertainment, I shop for necessities.  There must be more of those with lists than those who have time and money to burn.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't think that anyone would not think that State College is thriving. They are building housing everywhere. We bought a place there and it wasn't outrageously expensive. Certainly, if you want a m

Who exactly is "they"?  Are you expecting the feudal lords of DuBois to swoop in, lay claim to all the the eye can see, and turn Sandy residents into peasants?   If you gathered 20 random pe

I am going to do all I can to rectify the no votes of the Supervisors. Only about 350 signatures are needed to get Consolidation on the ballot. Let the voters decide!!!!  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze said:

TIMELINE

A bit of history...

In the late 1960s, the state of Pennsylvania advocated regional cooperation among municipalities as a way to reduce costs. Already, local governments cooperated on parks operation through the State College Parks and Recreation Department and on zoning through the Regional Planning Commission. However, when the idea was proposed for a regional council of governments, township citizens worried that they would lose governmental control to the Borough of State College and that taxes would rise.

Despite those fears, the Centre Region Council of Governments (COG) was formed in December 1969, and today it includes State College Borough and College, Ferguson, Halfmoon, Harris, and Patton townships. When COG celebrated its 20th anniversary in 1989, Mayor Arnold Addison noted, “This most effective, cooperative government did not begin as a love feast among or between the municipal representatives. ... Here was an effort which involved reducing, if not eliminating, the suspicions that had been fed and nurtured between the borough and the townships over the period of many years.”

Today the Centre Region Council of Governments is arguably the most successful COG in the state of Pennsylvania and a model to the nation through its steadfast work by the areas elected officials and COG staff, and the shared commitment to intergovernmental cooperation that exists for the residents who live, work and play in the Centre Region.

Try finding a house in State College to buy, rent or land to build.  It is for those who have lots of money.  Those in the lower income levels can't make it there unless they are willing to cram in with someone else.  I know of several people who drive an hour and a half to work every day and then back again because they can't/won't work there.  If the college takes another hit like Sandusky, they may not have high paying jobs to offer to support the workers and building trades.

5 minutes ago, Petee said:

Try finding a house in State College to buy, rent or land to build.  It is for those who have lots of money.  Those in the lower income levels can't make it there unless they are willing to cram in with someone else.  I know of several people who drive an hour and a half to work every day and then back again because they can't/won't work there.  If the college takes another hit like Sandusky, they may not have high paying jobs to offer to support the workers and building trades.

This isn’t state college.  We are talking about why some want to hold on to feuds and bitterness that our great grandparents started. We currently aren’t far off of your description. But we can push for a better future for our kids. There is no future currently. Hence Our young leaving.  Hence the need to join.  

33 minutes ago, Petee said:

It is not dwindling population.  The Mall stores that drew people in huge numbers are gone in favor of those with which the owner had contracts already, or those who were willing to pay a much higher rent.  The stores keeping the whole place open are those surrounding the property, not the ones in the big building which has become a liability.  I stopped shopping there when it became harder to find regular household stuff, no everyday commodities, and there are no carts to make it easier to shop.  I don't want to park and run all around the mall in hopes that I'll find one thing on my list that I need.  It's easier to go to Walmart where I park, get a cart and can fid about everything I need!  Occasionally I go to the outer stores if I have to find a rarer item than Walmart carries, but inside, no.  I don't want to have to carry my coat, or purse, lug purchases to the car so I can carry more, walk for unnecessary distances, no place for lunch, just junk food, no one I know (or see) to visit with.

The Mall used to be set up to serve the common people, not only specific groups.  The connected stores such as Big Lots and Ross have essentials and interesting novel stuff, and CARTS!!

I also do not want to move the car from location to location to hunt all through the plazas for what I need that they MIGHT have.  I do not shop for entertainment, I shop for necessities.  There must be more of those with lists than those who have time and money to burn.

Wrong. The pop is shrinking. In 2010 there were 7794 people in dubois.  The estimate for 2019 is 7300.   It’s readily available.  

You literally spouted no facts. More lies and conjecture.  No facts.  None.  Just living in fear and in the bitter past. Whatever.  Some just want to keep everyone held back. Unfortunately everyone has to suffer for those some.  Sad. Very sad.  

17 minutes ago, pennstater said:

This isn’t state college.  We are talking about why some want to hold on to feuds and bitterness that our great grandparents started. We currently aren’t far off of your description. But we can push for a better future for our kids. There is no future currently. Hence Our young leaving.  Hence the need to join.  

My response is why arent they staying and fighting and running for office to change.  Its easy to complain about the same old. We can say 100 things for this or 100 things for that, but until these young take over the governments, it aint happening.  Are you running to Vegas to place your bets on Penn Highlands growing the area? That's currently a losing proposition. 

18 minutes ago, jaman said:

My response is why arent they staying and fighting and running for office to change.  Its easy to complain about the same old. We can say 100 things for this or 100 things for that, but until these young take over the governments, it aint happening.  Are you running to Vegas to place your bets on Penn Highlands growing the area? That's currently a losing proposition. 

I am going to do all I can to rectify the no votes of the Supervisors.

Only about 350 signatures are needed to get Consolidation on the ballot.

Let the voters decide!!!!

3 hours ago, Petee said:

You are so delusional. No disrespect, but I truly believe you live in a bubble and have only been in Sandy TWP and State College since you only compare them, which ,by the way, are nothing alike. 

2 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

3 hours ago, Petee said:

Again with the State College stuff....

2 hours ago, pennstater said:

Wrong. The pop is shrinking. In 2010 there were 7794 people in dubois.  The estimate for 2019 is 7300.   It’s readily available.  

You literally spouted no facts. More lies and conjecture.  No facts.  None.  Just living in fear and in the bitter past. Whatever.  Some just want to keep everyone held back. Unfortunately everyone has to suffer for those some.  Sad. Very sad.  

Pennstater, you hit the nail on the head, my friend. 

2 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

I know a lot of people who are willing to sign that petition. Township residents that is.

11 minutes ago, DuB814 said:

I know a lot of people who are willing to sign that petition. Township residents that is.

The Supervisors (and DuBois)(tax dollars) paid for the Consolidation study.

It will cost very little to get it placed on the ballot using the present form of government. Might as well get some return on the 60 thousand dollars spent so far.

The  reason the Supervisors gave to  cancelled the process does not make a bit of sense.

I can't think that anyone would not think that State College is thriving. They are building housing everywhere. We bought a place there and it wasn't outrageously expensive. Certainly, if you want a mansion it is going to be pricier than similar housing would be here. There are lots of professional level jobs and just remember that all of those intellectual types who don't know one end of a screwdriver from another need lots of somebodies to service their cars and fix their plumbing. Curiously, people are retiring to State College because of all of the available activities and they are bringing retirement income into the community.  We should be so lucky as to emulate State College.

State College has the university that brings people to the area. DuBois needs a similar draw. With more people working from home, if DuBois/Sandy gets their ducks in a row, as an entity they might just draw some of those people to the area. We could have an influx of people with well paid jobs bringing money into the area and using services provided by the rest of the residents. There has to be something here to draw them besides the ability to raise chickens in the backyard. 

42 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

The Supervisors (and DuBois)(tax dollars) paid for the Consolidation study.

It will cost very little to get it placed on the ballot using the present form of government. Might as well get some return on the 60 thousand dollars spent so far.

The  reason the Supervisors gave to  cancelled the process does not make a bit of sense.

I agree with you 100%. Their reasoning made absolutely no sense. Time to take back some of the power and show them the citizens are in control of our future and best interests. 

35 minutes ago, lavender said:

I can't think that anyone would not think that State College is thriving. They are building housing everywhere. We bought a place there and it wasn't outrageously expensive. Certainly, if you want a mansion it is going to be pricier than similar housing would be here. There are lots of professional level jobs and just remember that all of those intellectual types who don't know one end of a screwdriver from another need lots of somebodies to service their cars and fix their plumbing. Curiously, people are retiring to State College because of all of the available activities and they are bringing retirement income into the community.  We should be so lucky as to emulate State College.

State College has the university that brings people to the area. DuBois needs a similar draw. With more people working from home, if DuBois/Sandy gets their ducks in a row, as an entity they might just draw some of those people to the area. We could have an influx of people with well paid jobs bringing money into the area and using services provided by the rest of the residents. There has to be something here to draw them besides the ability to raise chickens in the backyard. 

Well said! Some act like the only people who live in Sandy TWP are farmers who provide all of the agriculture to the area. Too bad probably 98% of our food in the area is shipped in and not grown or farmed locally. Those same people are living in a constant revolving dream. 

13 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

You are doing the right   thing. But the question is ? If it is successful, will people be happy with the new government leaders? Voting it in is one thing. Choosing new leaders is another. That was the point I was making. History shows in this area people will not.

13 hours ago, pennstater said:

Kids now leave heir hometowns, not matter how successful the area in which they grew up.  Whether they come back to raise families is the true measure of an area's livability.  Our is a success story in that we have a LOT of citizens who grew up here and chose to life here once they decided where to settle.  How many thousands have fled here to find a place to live with LESS drug activity, and how often is there actual violence in Sandy Township?  Rarely.

I have three grandsons who grew up in the Gettysburg area, all close to genius or genius.  Tested and proven by life.  They are NOT staying in their area.  They have chosen to go for the money and moved.  The eldest is stressed to the max with work and huge job offers but needs to find a peaceful groove in which to live. Kids do that. 

If this area expands, we will only attract more of what we DON't want, and our kids will still go away or stay to build houses in the township where the living is still pretty darned good.

If you want to do something good, then go to the SBA in Clarion and start your own business.  Get the FACTS about what will work here and stop trying to change everyone else's lives.  If you want changes, then BE that change.  Don't ask for government money to have someone else accomplish it for you. 

14 hours ago, pennstater said:

Do not argue a point by pointing a finger because there are four pointing right back at yourself.  I have not done that to you because you are only a personal problem, not the root of the problem.  Be polite, people know I have fought for the growth of individuals and small business in this area both with my mind and my strength!  I am trying to describe the reason why you can't get what you want given to you.  Earn it by getting your butt in gear and helping others to grow.  Understand what their fears are and help build ideas that will gradually guide them to a better place in life.  The rest of the area will follow naturally and in carefully adjusted growth that is good for everyone, not just government money!

27 minutes ago, Petee said:

Kids now leave heir hometowns, not matter how successful the area in which they grew up.  Whether they come back to raise families is the true measure of an area's livability.  Our is a success story in that we have a LOT of citizens who grew up here and chose to life here once they decided where to settle.  How many thousands have fled here to find a place to live with LESS drug activity, and how often is there actual violence in Sandy Township?  Rarely.

I have three grandsons who grew up in the Gettysburg area, all close to genius or genius.  Tested and proven by life.  They are NOT staying in their area.  They have chosen to go for the money and moved.  The eldest is stressed to the max with work and huge job offers but needs to find a peaceful groove in which to live. Kids do that. 

If this area expands, we will only attract more of what we DON't want, and our kids will still go away or stay to build houses in the township where the living is still pretty darned good.

If you want to do something good, then go to the SBA in Clarion and start your own business.  Get the FACTS about what will work here and stop trying to change everyone else's lives.  If you want changes, then BE that change.  Don't ask for government money to have someone else accomplish it for you. 

Proof that “kids leave no matter how successful” please. 

Some may but certainly MORE WILL when the area is depressed and crumbling and has little to offer.   I showed proof of our shrinking numbers.  Yet some just relish in the dwindling area I guess. 

I would be interested in seeing the population trend in the area from 2019 until now.  Houses are selling left and right to people living in larger population areas moving here as a result of being able to work from home during covid.  How many will stay for the long haul.  The new residents could have a big impact on which direction the area will be heading.  Good or bad.

21 minutes ago, buschpounder said:

I would be interested in seeing the population trend in the area from 2019 until now.  Houses are selling left and right to people living in larger population areas moving here as a result of being able to work from home during covid.  How many will stay for the long haul.  The new residents could have a big impact on which direction the area will be heading.  Good or bad.

I do hope you are right. We need some less than medieval thinking in the area. Even before Covid I thought DuBois had great potential as a "bedroom community" for people who wanted to raise kids in a family friendly environment. The ability to work a lucrative job from home, and many companies are never giving this up, will just enhance the appeal of a relatively safe community. Now, we need to give people a reason to come rather than just tranquility. Remember all of those families that left dad a choice of living with his family or working in DuBois because there was nothing for them here. I think that a lot of local people are afraid of becoming a small fish in a big pond after a lifetime of knowing and being known in a small community. After them the community can turn into a ghost town as far as they are concerned as long as they keep their familiar way of life. 

16 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

Is there a petition started? And if so where do you go to sign it?