GoDuBois.com

Biden Signs Bill Making Juneteenth A National Holiday

Biden signs bill making Juneteenth a national holiday

by: Aleksandra Bush, Sydney Kalich, Elyse Russo

Posted:  / Updated: 

WASHINGTON (NewsNation Now) — President Joe Biden signed a law Thursday which makes Juneteenth, or June 19, a federal holiday commemorating the end of slavery.

“This is a day of profound weight and profound power, a day in which we remember the moral stain, the terrible toll that slavery took on the country and continues to take,” Biden said.

Juneteenth commemorates when the last enslaved African Americans learned they were free — two months after the Confederacy had surrendered. That was also about 2 1/2 years after the Emancipation Proclamation freeing slaves in the Southern states.

The House voted 415-14 Wednesday to make Juneteenth the 12th federal holiday. All dissenting votes were from Republicans. The Senate passed the bill a day earlier under a unanimous consent agreement, which speeds up the process for considering legislation.

“I hope this is the beginning of a change in the way we deal with one another,” Biden said.

AP21168727416560.jpg?w=900
President Joe Biden signs the Juneteenth National Independence Day Act, in the East Room of the White House, Thursday, June 17, 2021, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

Will federal employees get Juneteenth off?

Under the legislation, the federal holiday would be known as Juneteenth National Independence Day. Once signed, it will be the first new federal holiday since Martin Luther King Jr. Day was created in 1983.

The U.S. Office of Personnel Management, which is the human resources office for the federal government, tweeted Thursday that most federal employees will observe the new holiday — Juneteenth National Independence Day — on Friday since June 19 falls on a Saturday this year.

Several states over the last several years have adopted Juneteenth as a statewide holiday. The vast majority recognize it as a holiday or have an official observance of the day, and most states hold celebrations. Juneteenth is a paid holiday for state employees in Texas, New York, Virginia and Washington.

Some Republican lawmakers opposed the effort. Rep. Matt Rosendale, R-Mont., said creating the federal holiday was an effort to celebrate “identity politics.”

“Since I believe in treating everyone equally, regardless of race, and that we should be focused on what unites us rather than our differences, I will vote no,” he said in a news release.

But supporters say it’s an important mark of progress in race relations in the U.S. Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman, D-N.J., said she viewed Juneteenth as a commemoration rather than a celebration because it represented something that was delayed in happening.

“It also reminds me of what we don’t have today,” she said. “And that is full access to justice, freedom and equality. All these are often in short supply as it relates to the Black community.”                                                                                                                                                                                  SEE VIDEO      ;     https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/national-news/federal-employees-to-get-friday-off-as-biden-signs-bill-making-juneteenth-a-national-holiday/

18 minutes ago, lavender said:

So does everyone else apparently. Politicians are happy to oblige if it gets them votes. Celebrate what you want but don't expect to get paid for it. 

This bill recognizing this as a holiday is a chance for one side to highlight those on the other side who do not support.  That way they can label the non-supporting politicians that side as a racist.  The crazy part is that voters will buy it.

What’s truly funny is how some brainwashed democrats deny it and blame Russia. 🤣🤣🤣. Apparently they don’t watch him speak or they just love being ignorant.    His admin won’t let him speak.  He’s had two press meetings in the time Trump had 120.  He should be living in a home or with his children. 

Singer Macy Gray argues US needs a 'new flag' to replace 'tattered, dated, divisive' Old Glory

Gray's op-ed article received a quick rebuke from conservatives, including a former attorney for Donald Trump.

Fox News Flash top entertainment headlines for June 18

Fox News Flash top entertainment and celebrity headlines are here. Check out what's clicking today in entertainment.

The American flag is "tattered, dated, divisive, and incorrect" and needs to be updated, singer Macy Gray argued this week in an op-ed written for Juneteenth

But the piece, published Thursday by MarketWatch, received a quick rebuke from a few prominent conservatives. 

The five-time Grammy nominee's article appeared the same day President Biden signed a bill making Juneteenth a federal holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the 1860s. 

She argued that Old Glory has "replaced" the Confederate flag, implying it is a symbol of racism.

"It no longer represents ALL of us," Gray wrote. "It’s not fair to be forced to honor it. It’s time for a new flag."

"It no longer represents ALL of us. It's not fair to be forced to honor it. It's time for a new flag."

— Macy Gray

She went on to say a new flag should have 52 stars, with the new pair representing Puerto Rico and Washington, D.C.

She claimed both the U.S. territory in the Caribbean and the nation's capital city deserve statehood and that the supposed purity and innocence represented by the flag's white stripes is a fallacy. 

"America is great," she wrote. "It is beautiful. Pure, it ain’t. It is broken and in pieces."

She suggested the stripes could be off-white and the stars the "colors of ALL of us — your skin tone and mine."

The 53-year-old Ohio native, born Natalie Renee McIntyre, added that she believes America embodies the blue "vigilance and perseverance" and the red "valor," which she would keep. 

CHRIS PRATT HONORS FLAG DAY BY PARACHUTING WITH NAVY ‘LEAP FROGS’: ‘THE STARS AND STRIPES REPRESENT ALL OF US’

The "I Try" singer noted the current 50-star flag was designed by a high school student in the late 1950s, soon before Hawaii and Alaska became states. 

Macy Gray performs in New York City, March 12, 2020. (Getty Images)

"Sixty-two years later, in 2021, we have changed and it’s time for a reset, a transformation," she concluded. "One that represents all states and all of us."

"It’s time for a reset, a transformation. One that represents all states and all of us."

— Macy Gray

It didn't take long for conservatives to fire back. 

Jenna Ellis, who served as an attorney for former President Trump, tweeted, "I don't like to brag, but we're kinda proud of that ragged old flag."

"@MacyGraysLife had one hit song about 20 years ago and hasn’t done anything since," Republican Lavern Spicer, who ran for Congress in Florida last year, wrote. "Now she wants to come out from the dark and say that she hates our flag. Your world would crumble if you weren’t in America."

"@MacyGraysLife had one hit song about 20 years ago and hasn’t done anything since." 

— Lavern Spicer, former GOP House candidate

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Gray has been an active supporter of progressive causes for years. Before the 2020 election, she performed in an "I Will Vote" concert to raise money for Biden. 

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/singer-macy-gray-argues-us-needs-a-new-flag-to-replace-tattered-dated-divisive-old-glory

NEXT

Hey...Macy Gray, Kim Jung Un wants to meet you personally and discuss that "thing" you said about him and his regime.  Something about doing "hard labor" for an extended period of time.

Better head over and see him...."he's got a gig for you" that you can't turn down.

We'll send congratulations...oops, I mean condolences. 

34 minutes ago, fedup said:

Singer Macy Gray argues US needs a 'new flag' to replace 'tattered, dated, divisive' Old Glory

Gray's op-ed article received a quick rebuke from conservatives, including a former attorney for Donald Trump.

Fox News Flash top entertainment headlines for June 18

Fox News Flash top entertainment and celebrity headlines are here. Check out what's clicking today in entertainment.

The American flag is "tattered, dated, divisive, and incorrect" and needs to be updated, singer Macy Gray argued this week in an op-ed written for Juneteenth

But the piece, published Thursday by MarketWatch, received a quick rebuke from a few prominent conservatives. 

The five-time Grammy nominee's article appeared the same day President Biden signed a bill making Juneteenth a federal holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the 1860s. 

She argued that Old Glory has "replaced" the Confederate flag, implying it is a symbol of racism.

"It no longer represents ALL of us," Gray wrote. "It’s not fair to be forced to honor it. It’s time for a new flag."

"It no longer represents ALL of us. It's not fair to be forced to honor it. It's time for a new flag."

— Macy Gray

She went on to say a new flag should have 52 stars, with the new pair representing Puerto Rico and Washington, D.C.

She claimed both the U.S. territory in the Caribbean and the nation's capital city deserve statehood and that the supposed purity and innocence represented by the flag's white stripes is a fallacy. 

"America is great," she wrote. "It is beautiful. Pure, it ain’t. It is broken and in pieces."

She suggested the stripes could be off-white and the stars the "colors of ALL of us — your skin tone and mine."

The 53-year-old Ohio native, born Natalie Renee McIntyre, added that she believes America embodies the blue "vigilance and perseverance" and the red "valor," which she would keep. 

CHRIS PRATT HONORS FLAG DAY BY PARACHUTING WITH NAVY ‘LEAP FROGS’: ‘THE STARS AND STRIPES REPRESENT ALL OF US’

The "I Try" singer noted the current 50-star flag was designed by a high school student in the late 1950s, soon before Hawaii and Alaska became states. 

"Sixty-two years later, in 2021, we have changed and it’s time for a reset, a transformation," she concluded. "One that represents all states and all of us."

"It’s time for a reset, a transformation. One that represents all states and all of us."

— Macy Gray

It didn't take long for conservatives to fire back. 

Jenna Ellis, who served as an attorney for former President Trump, tweeted, "I don't like to brag, but we're kinda proud of that ragged old flag."

"@MacyGraysLife had one hit song about 20 years ago and hasn’t done anything since," Republican Lavern Spicer, who ran for Congress in Florida last year, wrote. "Now she wants to come out from the dark and say that she hates our flag. Your world would crumble if you weren’t in America."

"@MacyGraysLife had one hit song about 20 years ago and hasn’t done anything since." 

— Lavern Spicer, former GOP House candidate

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Gray has been an active supporter of progressive causes for years. Before the 2020 election, she performed in an "I Will Vote" concert to raise money for Biden. 

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/singer-macy-gray-argues-us-needs-a-new-flag-to-replace-tattered-dated-divisive-old-glory

NEXT

If you dont like it you can take your Grammys with you and leave. Her music stinks.    anyway. And please give away those millions you made with your terrible music people bought. And  give away the millions you were paid by your recording company run by "WHITE PRIVILEGE"  executives.    

13 minutes ago, Basset3 said:

Hey...Macy Gray, Kim Jung Un wants to meet you personally and discuss that "thing" you said about him and his regime.  Something about doing "hard labor" for an extended period of time.

Better head over and see him...."he's got a gig for you" that you can't turn down.

We'll send congratulations...oops, I mean condolences. 

Just like the talking heads at CNN and MSNBC, getting checks from "White Privileged" Wall Street companies.  Don Lemon do you hear us?

14 hours ago, fedup said:

— Macy Gray

"O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?"

We can but hope that the flag and the sentiment still represents the majority of the citizens of this country."

The following photo is by Joe Rosenthal. It was real not just a statue ripe for being pulled down. 

download.jpg

Here's an idea. Stop feeding into the media. I read the comments and no wonder why white privilege is the talk about everything. Doesn't matter if your white black. It matters how you live your life everyday. If you want to live a run down life then so be it if u want to try and live a great life then even better. Why is it everyone else's choice how someone lives their life. It took me a long time to get to where I am from nothing. And yes I'm white. I don't have this thing people are calling white privilege.  I do have what they call the freedom of choice. Go outside and meet your neighbors say hello to someone you don't usually say hi to. Hold the door help your neighbor and stop worrying about what the other side has to say. Start having care and compassion and change will happen. We don't need Trump or Biden or Harris or anyone else telling us how to live like civil humans. We all know how to just more don't want to they would rather act like sissies.