GoDuBois.com

Rainbow Family Regional Gathering In Allegheny National Forest

Rainbow Family Gathering to Occur
Allegheny National Forest Chosen for Regional Gathering
Warren, PA, June 25, 2021 – The Rainbow Family of Living Light has chosen the Allegheny National Forest for a regional gathering. The gathering is taking place in the vicinity of Forest Road 339 on the Marienville Ranger District. The event will coincide with the Fourth of July holiday, and participants have already begun arriving. The forest will experience the highest concentration of participants during the first week of July.
The Rainbow Family is a loose-knit group of people from throughout the USA and other countries. Each summer they hold a national gathering to pursue social and spiritual activities and pray for world peace. Since 1972, the event has taken place on a different national forest each year. The Rainbow Family chose Carson National Forest in New Mexico as their 2021 national gathering location. National Crowds range from 2,000 to 10,000 visitors. This year there are also simultaneous regional gatherings occurring nationwide. Attendance could reach 1,000 or more participants at the gathering on the Allegheny National Forest.
“We understand there may be impacts to our local communities and our forest visitors,” said Rob Fallon, Marienville District Ranger. “We will work with our partners to minimize the effects on our neighbors and the environment. All visitors to the national forest are expected to obey federal, state, and local laws and regulations, and we take the equitable enforcement of these laws seriously.”
A resource design criteria for the event will address concerns about health and safety, watershed protection, natural resource protection, and rehabilitation of the event site before the group leaves. The Forest Service activated an incident management team with experience managing these types of events. The team is working in unified command with local authorities to lessen environmental impacts to the site by providing information and enforcing laws.
An event of this size can have significant impacts on traffic, communities, local resources, residents, and visitors. Local businesses can expect to see Rainbow Family participants visiting stores and buying food and supplies along routes to the gathering site. Roads on the Allegheny National Forest in Elk County are expected to become congested during the event. Please travel with caution, obey traffic laws, and consider recreating in less visited areas of the forest.
For additional information about the Rainbow Family gathering on Allegheny National Forest please call the incident information line 814-313-4525.

Here is an ecological impact report from the one I saw. 

https://whatistherainbowgathering.blogspot.com/2018/06/clean-up-report-rainbow-gathering-in.html

Now, even though my first reply mentioned the trash - there were folks there cleaning it up.   My point being that ALL folks didn't properly dispose to begin with, and not ALL folks were there to clean up.

Sounds like the group should have specific people for clean up duty. And if they already do….they need more.  There’s no excuse.   If you’re gonna make a mess at an event then you need to have staff for cleanup.   I hope the county holds them accountable.   

11 hours ago, pennstater said:

Sounds like the group should have specific people for clean up duty. And if they already do….they need more.  There’s no excuse.   If you’re gonna make a mess at an event then you need to have staff for cleanup.   I hope the county holds them accountable.   

Responsible adults should know how NOT to make a mess in the first place.

17 hours ago, pennstater said:

If this new event will be in federal property of the ANF, the fedz will make them clean up.  The county really has no say in the matter being that the event(s) are on federal land.

From my prior experiences, they do clean up and restore the land.  Often going above and beyond.   When you first see the mess it is disturbing, but the "good" folks of that lifestyle live up to their word.

IF the site isn't cleaned/restored, the ANF wont issue them another permit in the future, and they will likely be fined.   For my dealings with the ANF, I cant even break the ground for utility repairs without a permit.   Late last year I spent 2 weeks reviewing permit renewals for existing poles, anchors, conduit, etc that is on their property.

The rainbow eres always gather in a federal national forest.  They are a peaceful loving care for the earth people.  One gathering of about 10,000 people got together 5 years ago in the green mountains.  They were able to produce over 2 tons of trash.  Not to mention the community crap trench had to be covered with a layer of dirt.  They do have a cleanup crew.  About 100 people stayed behind to deal with cleaning up.   Around 1,000 people is expected in Marienville as its a regional  gathering.  So only about 400 pounds of trash and a smaller crap trench will need to be buried.

5920982370_44f7d8195b_b.jpg

2 hours ago, dubois_15801 said:

If this new event will be in federal property of the ANF, the fedz will make them clean up.  The county really has no say in the matter being that the event(s) are on federal land.

From my prior experiences, they do clean up and restore the land.  Often going above and beyond.   When you first see the mess it is disturbing, but the "good" folks of that lifestyle live up to their word.

IF the site isn't cleaned/restored, the ANF wont issue them another permit in the future, and they will likely be fined.   For my dealings with the ANF, I cant even break the ground for utility repairs without a permit.   Late last year I spent 2 weeks reviewing permit renewals for existing poles, anchors, conduit, etc that is on their property.

And you had to supply hot stinking porta potties for your workers who would actually be producing something this country needs.

What do these people produce for this country? 

1 hour ago, fedup said:

And you had to supply hot stinking porta potties for your workers who would actually be producing something this country needs.

What do these people produce for this country? 

Most are the same as you and I, working class folk, have jobs, etc, etc.   They save up their vacation for these events.   Many are just partiers from around here.

Then there are the hardcore hippy type that fully live the lifestyle.

The girlfriend I had back in '99 went to it(and dragged me to it at the close of the event).  She worked a job, just attended to have some fun.

As for bathroom needs - most locations in the ANF allow "cat holes".   You dig a shallow hole, do your business, cover back up.    I didn't stay long enough in '99 to have a nature-calling, but I did see some porta-pots, and some improvised latrines(basically cat holes).   They even mention the latrines being covered in the impact report I linked too.

The biggest concern is a certain type of people these things attract.   Hardcore druggies(overdoses), and retail thieves.

6 hours ago, dubois_15801 said:

Very seldom do they have permits, even on federal land. They claim they have no leaders, just a bunch of individuals that show up in the same place at the same time.