GoDuBois.com

DuBois Little League Coach Suspended After Telling Kids To Turn Backs To Other Team

mr.d

DuBois Little League coach suspended after telling kids to turn backs to other team

DuBois-Little-League.jpg
Posted on 

DuBois, PA – A DuBois Little League coach landed himself in hot water and drew in many angry comments after he instructed his players to turn their backs while the opposing team was being introduced.

DuBois Little League had been playing the Brookville team when the 9- and 10-year-old boys from DuBois were told by their coach to turn around and not look at the other team, though there’s no word on what reasoning he gave to the kids.

The DuBois Little League Board made a statement, saying that the DuBois Little League manager who was involved in the back-turning scandal has been temporarily suspended. President Scott Frano and the VP of the League also personally walked him over to the Brookville manager to apologize.

The DuBois team did end up winning the game 9-5 and will move on to host Punxsutawney.

Listen to the audio comment from DuBois Little League Board President, Scott Frano.

Click Here to see the DuBois Little League Facebook page post about the incident.

Statement from DuBois Little League Board:

The DuBois Little League Board would like to again send our apologies to the Brookville Minor League All-Star coaches, players, and families, to the Brookville Little League, and to the entire Brookville community for the actions that took place prior to the start of last night’s Minor League All-Star game.

Little League has always prided itself in promoting sportsmanship as one of the most important pillars of the Little League program. Regardless of intent, these actions fell well short of meeting the values, standards, and common decency the league strives to uphold.

Immediately following the game our President and VP approached the manager in question to let him know this behavior is not what we expect from anyone affiliated with the DuBois Little League and let him know that what happened prior to the game was completely unacceptable. They then walked him over to the Brookville manager to apologize personally.

The manager of the DuBois Little League Minor All-Star team has been temporarily suspended and a board meeting will take place this evening to take action regarding this incident.

Guest Outrage

Way to go you idiot, a real good way to teach the kids sportsmanship. I hope they ban you from coaching anything. Stay home and take your EGO with you. 

Guest Steve

Bad decision by a nice guy giving his time to help and who is super competitive. I think the players, our community and the Coach will all learn from this and we will all be better for it. Nice job by Mr Frano  acknowledging the mistake and jumping on it right away. Continued success to all little leaguer's.

This article didn't age well.  http://www.thecourierexpress.com/sports/lander-set-to-embark-on-another-all-star-journey/article_16a3d92f-1d43-5642-9bea-b03918427dab.html   I knew and played for Tom Frank and Jerry Pyne, the supposed actions of the manager is not what they taught.

I wasn't there.  I'm going to give the manager a little benefit of the doubt until we hear from him.  There are a lot of people online spouting hyperbole and how it made them feel.  I'll wait to hear the facts.

However, turning your backs is cowardly, selfish, and absolutely disrespectful.  This is totally disappointing and I'm baffled as to what purpose it serves.

The offending manager even if he is a "good" guy as someone has said, should realize his action and resign.. With the way this  is today if this goes to Williamsport National Office, since its playoffs it should, his career at Little League is  maybe  over. Dubois LL really doesnt have a choice for their reputation. Hope that National Office doesnt sanction them. Good work by Mr Frano to jump on it.  Especially if it is all over the media.  Regardless of apology.  What's really sad?  THEY WON THE GAME!  And he pulled this. That is why they should banish the manager.  The kids are the story of the game.  Earlier in life , I spent 6 years umpiring and coaching in Little league.  If they continue to win, the story will now be of the manager, not the kids.  As Cacao said, it's selfish. At least if they lost,  it could have somewhat been explained. 

55 minutes ago, Gold Brick said:

Sad to hear the kids were told to do this. It's totally against everything little league stands for. I hope no one blames Landers coaches for his actions. Very sad day for all involved.

They have ownership in this as well. The coaching staff is a team within the team.  I'm curious to learn if they knew about it.  If they did, they should have stood up and said something.  

This coach also has his youth football team do this.  I was so shocked last year when I went to our youngsters game and the home team turned their backs as our team was introduced.  Same Coach!  I really can not consider him a nice person if this is what he is teaching children.  Personally i feel he should not be allowed to coach any sport.

I see Dubois plays Punxsy next. Some body is very lucky with the rivalry between these 2 places he didnt pull this at Punxsy.  The scenerio could have been very interesting. ;)

1 hour ago, etsaunt said:

This coach also has his youth football team do this.  I was so shocked last year when I went to our youngsters game and the home team turned their backs as our team was introduced.  Same Coach!  I really can not consider him a nice person if this is what he is teaching children.  Personally i feel he should not be allowed to coach any sport.

Including Golf? And that requires calm and patience. :oops::sorry:

it should be taught to NEVER TURN YOUR BACK TO YOUR OPPONENT / ENEMY

what in life would you ever gain by not facing your challenges this just helps the other team get fired up/ you have already shown you fear them......even if you won....you lost:surrender:

Guest steve

I have heard that the kids were extremely nervous and the coach not thinking of anything else but winning the game and them,  told them all to look around and concentrate on him. That is not bad coaching. Bad sportsmanship perhaps but good coaching. Fuzzy Zoeller got kicked off Houston Cougars number one ranked golf team for 2 matches by breaking Dave Williams head coach rule of telling an opponent nice shot. Dave Williams is regarded as one of the best college golf coaches of all time but  didnt allow his players Fred Couples, Steve Elkington, Billy Ray Brown, Jim Nance, Fuzzy and many others to say positive things to opponents. 

Lastly, the kids involved learned a great lesson. Thank you coach Landers for the time you gave and the teaching you gave to these kids. I am sure you have their respect. 

1 hour ago, Guest steve said:

I have heard that the kids were extremely nervous and the coach not thinking of anything else but winning the game and them,  told them all to look around and concentrate on him. That is not bad coaching. Bad sportsmanship perhaps but good coaching. Fuzzy Zoeller got kicked off Houston Cougars number one ranked golf team for 2 matches by breaking Dave Williams head coach rule of telling an opponent nice shot. Dave Williams is regarded as one of the best college golf coaches of all time but  didnt allow his players Fred Couples, Steve Elkington, Billy Ray Brown, Jim Nance, Fuzzy and many others to say positive things to opponents. 

Lastly, the kids involved learned a great lesson. Thank you coach Landers for the time you gave and the teaching you gave to these kids. I am sure you have their respect. 

Then do it in the dug out, not on the field so close to the other team starting line up. 

Guest Mika
1 hour ago, Guest steve said:

The kids should have been excited not scared and nervous. Adults put way too much pressure on the kids for all the wrong reasons, very sad

Guest mike tost

As a former Dubois  LL coach and board member its upsetting to hear of this coaches action. It would have been wrong for he himself to turn his back on the opposing team . It is a disgrace he had the kids do it as well. I guess the LL pledge meant nothing to him.

9 hours ago, Guest steve said:

Fuzzy Zoeller got kicked off Houston Cougars number one ranked golf team for 2 matches by breaking Dave Williams head coach rule of telling an opponent nice shot. Dave Williams is regarded as one of the best college golf coaches of all time but  didnt allow his players Fred Couples, Steve Elkington, Billy Ray Brown, Jim Nance, Fuzzy and many others to say positive things to opponents. 

These were 9 and 10 year olds. There is a difference.