GoDuBois.com
  • LOW PRICES
  • LOW PRICES
  • LOW PRICES

DuBois Little League Coach Suspended After Telling Kids To Turn Backs To Other Team

mr.d

2 hours ago, Lyndsey33 said:

I don't find that good coaching at all. When my son was in all stars they clapped for the other kids when they were announced. Their coach taught them respect. Nerves are part of any sport. It made Dubois look disgusting.

Agreed.  I've coached youth baseball for many years.  Understanding these 9/10 year old children were entering their first all-star game EVER, I would have spent time in practices leading up to the game to discuss the pomp and circumstance they will experience.  More importantly, I would want to hear from the kids what they think it will be like and talk through it.  Gameday, if there was noticeable nervousness/tension, I would have acknowledged that AFTER the starting lineups/anthem.  No matter how glorious your pregame speech is or your pregame warmups are, nothing handles nervousness like the first pitch.  

9 hours ago, Guest Mika said:

The kids should have been excited not scared and nervous. Adults put way too much pressure on the kids for all the wrong reasons, very sad

They are 9 and 10 years old.  Of course they are going to be nervous/scared.  Pressure is apart of life.  I'm sure they were crazy excited too.  This provided a great opportunity to show them how those feelings are normal and the faster you work through those feelings and focus on the task at hand, the more successful you will be.  In life and in sports.   

11 hours ago, Guest steve said:

I have heard that the kids were extremely nervous and the coach not thinking of anything else but winning the game and them,  told them all to look around and concentrate on him. That is not bad coaching. Bad sportsmanship perhaps but good coaching. Fuzzy Zoeller got kicked off Houston Cougars number one ranked golf team for 2 matches by breaking Dave Williams head coach rule of telling an opponent nice shot. Dave Williams is regarded as one of the best college golf coaches of all time but  didnt allow his players Fred Couples, Steve Elkington, Billy Ray Brown, Jim Nance, Fuzzy and many others to say positive things to opponents. 

Lastly, the kids involved learned a great lesson. Thank you coach Landers for the time you gave and the teaching you gave to these kids. I am sure you have their respect. 

I disagree.  It's bad coaching to show them bad sportsmanship.  Jude should have waited until AFTER the lineups/anthem to get into the coaching of the game.  He should have been coaching respect during that time.  

10 hours ago, Guest Mika said:

The kids should have been excited not scared and nervous. Adults put way too much pressure on the kids for all the wrong reasons, very sad

I've was always a little nervous when it came to playoffs or championship games and I didn't have any pressure from my coaches or parents..... so kids can feel scared and nervous for a big game weather there's pressure or not.... but it can certainly add to it as well..... 

While its great they have playoffs  and championships, its shows too much emphasis on winning at an early age  from Coaches, managers, family, friends and the community.  I always thought at the 9-12 age level that it was for SKILLS development . Winning is nice, but teaching the kids the appropriate  development of skills was more important for their future participation.. I have watched the outstanding success of the Dubois LL all my life.  But why hasnt the Dubois High School team had more success in District and State Championships. Central Catholic has periodic success.  Are they leveling out at 15. Or are they burning out from the pressure of competing since they were 8-9 years old? Or if the kid has been a bench player for 2-3 years in Little league and decides to give it up because they know what the future maybe. Their are good  role model type coaches and managers.  But their are the ones who most care about winning at that level is a measure of their success. 

31 minutes ago, katie77 said:

The happiest day of my life was when my kids moved on from baseball in this town. Not sure what things are like now as that was 15 years ago but back then The politics of the DuBois LL organization was disgusting. 

I hear this a lot.  Experienced it going through the system.  In my experience, I learned a lot from it and I'm thankful my parents encouraged me to stick with it.  Politics are apart of life.  Not saying this about you specifically, but I think a majority use this as an excuse.  

1 hour ago, jaman said:

While its great they have playoffs  and championships, its shows too much emphasis on winning at an early age  from Coaches, managers, family, friends and the community.  I always thought at the 9-12 age level that it was for SKILLS development . Winning is nice, but teaching the kids the appropriate  development of skills was more important for their future participation.. I have watched the outstanding success of the Dubois LL all my life.  But why hasnt the Dubois High School team had more success in District and State Championships. Central Catholic has periodic success.  Are they leveling out at 15. Or are they burning out from the pressure of competing since they were 8-9 years old? Or if the kid has been a bench player for 2-3 years in Little league and decides to give it up because they know what the future maybe. Their are good  role model type coaches and managers.  But their are the ones who most care about winning at that level is a measure of their success. 

There are a million variables that prevent Little League success translating into HS success.  One does not automatically lead to the other.  Puberty is the most impactful factor. 

5 hours ago, Lyndsey33 said:

I don't find that good coaching at all. When my son was in all stars they clapped for the other kids when they were announced. Their coach taught them respect. Nerves are part of any sport. It made Dubois look disgusting.

As that is how it should be... these kids made the all-star team which is a great in THEIR life and deserve to be congratulated by EVERYONE.

56 minutes ago, Cacao said:

There are a million variables that prevent Little League success translating into HS success.  One does not automatically lead to the other.  Puberty is the most impactful factor. 

Dubois is big into little League at all age groups, other towns not so much.  After the age of 12 many other options exist if you continue to play. Success at the Jr and Sr levels does not translate to HS as the competition is not as strong.

Guest Township Resident

This article didn't age well.  http://www.thecourierexpress.com/sports/lander-set-to-embark-on-another-all-star-journey/article_16a3d92f-1d43-5642-9bea-b03918427dab.html   I knew and played for Tom Frank and Jerry Pyne, the supposed actions of the manager is not what they taught.

Just wanted to echo what Cacao said here.  The article quotes Jude as saying "“I still teach/coach some of his (Frank’s) style to my own kids and players,” said Lander. “That’s the sign a of a great coach when you copy them. Mr Frank always said easy doesn’t win games — that may be why we had three-a-day practices.”  For anyone that does not know Tom Frank Sr. or knew Jerry Pyne (passed away in 2016) disrespecting your opponent like this is not something they would condone.  These two men loved the game and the kids they coached.  They represented everything good in youth sports.  It is unfortunate that article was printed a few days before this incident took place.

Also want to commend Scott Frano and the rest of the DuBois Little League board for taking action so quickly.  Lots of people there that are good role models for the kids.    

2 hours ago, katie77 said:

The happiest day of my life was when my kids moved on from baseball in this town. Not sure what things are like now as that was 15 years ago but back then The politics of the DuBois LL organization was disgusting. 

I don't know what it is like in DuBois LL, so I didn't hit the "thankyou" button for that, but I hit it for your saying that it was the happiest day of your life when your kids moved on from the baseball in this town.  I remember feeling the same relief when mine moved on from baseball in another town.  Lots of competition (kids and parents!)  favoritism, unwillingness to work with "all" the team members, not enough games scheduled, etc.  My family member played ball for 12 years, had talent for and played a crucial position.  All I can remember is feeling sick at each game, and hearing other parents' rude comments, and seeing all the favoritism.  If you were in with the management, you got attention and playing privileges.  If not, well, you got what you got.  Which wasn't much.  Even if you never missed a practice!   The focus was on winning, nothing else I could see.  I won't say every year it was like this.  We had a few really great coaches  But they were few and far between.  I'm just sooooo glad those years are over.  

I'm sorry.   But you guys saying that your glad your kids were done with baseball shows your lack of support for your kids......I hated my mom when she would complain about my sports.  I never got much support from my parents with the sports I played.......I know you guys were probably more supp then mine.... but how would you feel if your kids saw your comments about them playing ball? It will make them feel guilty.......... 

Guest 2009 DuBois Sr Lg Champ

Make Sean Sleigh the coach!

3 hours ago, JimmyPete said:

I'm sorry.   But you guys saying that your glad your kids were done with baseball shows your lack of support for your kids......I hated my mom when she would complain about my sports.  I never got much support from my parents with the sports I played.......I know you guys were probably more supp then mine.... but how would you feel if your kids saw your comments about them playing ball? It will make them feel guilty.......... 

Ok I am the opposite. I terribly miss watching my son play. I was at every game & practice. I was the cheering mom and the hey it's ok to lose a game don't sweat it mom. I looked forward to it every year and dreaded the end every year.

3 minutes ago, jaman said:

Kudos to President Scott Frano. He got on top of it immediately. And following protocols took the appropriate action.   No excuses. Not like todays college and pro coaches.

Was it the first time it had happened?  First the Board heard of it?

Guest Poor sport!

He has always been a poor sport, regardless of what he was participating in. They made the right decision by getting rid of him. Wasn’t he also relieved of his position of golf pro at Treasure Lake? Some people shouldn’t be a coach. He’s one of them. 

Guest Disgruntled

The high school coach needs replaced. To many years of 500 ball . Time for the school board to take a long look at this guys history. A true barometer is the fact that no players that graduate ever come back to see him after their gone. He’s also the reason why DAHS loses kids to central

On 7/2/2021 at 1:24 PM, JimmyPete said:

There was no lack of support in our home. I went to every game, and as many practices as I could. I loved watching my kids play every sport despite the political aspect of it because they enjoyed it. I would never express my adult opinion and or concerns to my children as that is not their burden. Now that they are older we have conversations about it when we discuss sports. The thing is, kids are not stupid....they see the same things we see, they just process it differently. 3 out of the 4 of my boys just played baseball to pass time, they weren't very good at it....there hearts belonged to other sports (football and basketball) However my oldest son (who is now almost 30) bled baseball. He was a catcher, and he was an amazing player. But it just so happened he always had a coach with a kid on his team. The last straw for him was the year he was 15 I think. All-stars came and he was not chosen to play however the kid that was chosen for the catcher had never even played the position in an actual game....however he was the relative of a coach. Those All-stars did not go very far that year so that coach picked up a travel team and asked my son immediately to take the catcher position. He declined and began processing things a little differently. I wonder how much talent we lost around here simply because they were never given a chance..........

On 7/2/2021 at 1:40 PM, Guest 2009 DuBois Sr Lg Champ said:

Make Sean Sleigh the coach!

He would (and will) make a great coach some day.  But for now, he's coaching folks of all ages the importance of healthy teeth! 

On 7/5/2021 at 11:08 PM, Guest Disgruntled said:

The high school coach needs replaced. To many years of 500 ball . Time for the school board to take a long look at this guys history. A true barometer is the fact that no players that graduate ever come back to see him after their gone. He’s also the reason why DAHS loses kids to central

(cough, cough) Uhhmm, you can reach DuBois Central Catholic by calling 371-3060.  Ask for a tour...I hear fall ball starts in August.

Guest Just an observer

I went to watch the 12 year old all star team tonight DuBois vs St Mary. It was a good game . The teams were well matched. Happy to see the Du Bois team win!  After the game I heard some parents complain. Some players never got to play on the field. And that there were more than one who didn’t play.  Some may say that is good coaching. But it was noticed that the coaches sons never sat the bench.  Is that good coaching or favoritism?  This is a team sport. Give all your players a chance to play at least a couple innings. These boys were picked for being the best of the twelve year olds. Teach them fairness and sportsmanship. Congratulations on your win 12 year olds TEAM!