GoDuBois.com

Mothers Garden Pics

Pappy

I have been lax in taking pics of the raised garden i built my mother last year. It has really taken off this year and she already has harvested Celery, Onions and Cabbage. The cabbage took over the small garden and they grew extremely well. I will have to build their own little garden area next year and plant more. I also added a trellis and a potato garden. Here are some pics.

Figured we all needed a break from TL, Consolidation, Biden etc threads.

These first pics are a round 3 foot fire ring that is the strawberry garden. A 8 foot by 4 foot potato garden. A trellis with small gardens on either side. These are all made of live edge lumber I got a few years ago.

More to come

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

the strawberry garden, potato garden and the trellis with cantaloupe, cucumbers and watermelon on it. I started today to put weed barrier down and mulch as they were taking over the area. I still need to complete that task.

Pics I had of the cabbage, peppers etc did not show up on my camera apparently I did not hold the button down long enough.

12.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

• Pappy changed the title to Mothers Garden Pics
1 hour ago, lavender said:

No deer or groundhogs?

No deer. Occasionally one might pass through the yard but my mother lives in town. I have never seen a groundhog near her place plus they cannot get into the raised garden.

Now the trellis and strawberries I have worried about that but figured I would wait and  see.

So far no chipmunks have stolen her strawberries and she has eaten quite a few already.

Just now, Petee said:

Your Square Foot garden pictures are great!  You did it just as it's supposed to be done.  Might I be permitted to use your pictures in a training class and display?

You can use any pictures you like. I may like to join one of your classes sometime also to get some more tips.

2 minutes ago, Gator11 said:

You can use any pictures you like. I may like to join one of your classes sometime also to get some more tips.

Master Gardener Certification Classes start in October and go till March of the next year.  That requires an Apprenticeship also which is time spent working on the gardens in Brookville.  If you like in Clearfield County, you woul dhave to contact that Extension for class info.

Jefferson County will be offering some regular classes late this summer.  I'll announce them here when we get them set up.

59 minutes ago, Gator11 said:

No deer. Occasionally one might pass through the yard but my mother lives in town. I have never seen a groundhog near her place plus they cannot get into the raised garden.

Now the trellis and strawberries I have worried about that but figured I would wait and  see.

So far no chipmunks have stolen her strawberries and she has eaten quite a few already.

Wish I lived next to your mother. I saw a groundhog up a tree here once. Thought I was hallucinating. I guess they can climb quite well. 

6 hours ago, lavender said:

Wish I lived next to your mother. I saw a groundhog up a tree here once. Thought I was hallucinating. I guess they can climb quite well. 

wow that is interesting. Maybe they could get into it.  I have yet to see any near her place but that doesn't mean there never will be any.

I guess if they can predict the weather they can climb trees haha

Celery is being eaten up. I had my mother cut them off instead of pulling the whole plant. I want to see if they will grow back some. I heard that they will. The tomatoes are growing like weeds also.

IMG_8483.JPG

IMG_8484.JPG

IMG_8485.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Trellis is doing exceptional. The plants are growing well. They are getting more sun than the one I have at my house and it shows.

Cucumbers are starting just in the past few days and she has some watermelon starting

29.JPG

28.JPG

27.JPG

The trellises are a little more work and money, but they will make your harvest so much better!

I am finally seeing Mexican Cucumbers in my deck garden.  Can't wait till I have enough to ferment!  It's a Gut Health Pill in a teeny little watermelon shaped package.

5 hours ago, Petee said:

The trellises are a little more work and money, but they will make your harvest so much better!

I am finally seeing Mexican Cucumbers in my deck garden.  Can't wait till I have enough to ferment!  It's a Gut Health Pill in a teeny little watermelon shaped package.

That trellis costs me around $50 for the cattle panel and 4 posts. I made the boxes on the sides from wood I had and then spent around $15 for the garden soil.