GoDuBois.com

My Garden Pics

Pappy

Trying to changed the usual GoDuBois banter to something more serene and relaxing for me anyway.

I redid my garden this year. I added new fencing etc and am trying a new tomato trellis. We will see how it goes. I will start from beginning to today.  As soon as it gets light again I will get some more pics of the garden.

I didn't plant my garden until the second week of June. I had some health issues that kept me unable to do even menial tasks. With a little pain meds, my wife and my Granddaughter I did manage to get the garden planted.

I got my garden tilled and then added two layers of paper with the help of my Grandson Brayden.

I then added mushroom compost to the top of it.

1.jpg

6.JPG

5.JPG

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

As you can see I used cattle panel for my fencing and also for my tomato trellises. We will see how they do. I kept them 18 inches off the ground but i think I should have went with 12. This will give the plants much needed air circulation and help with rot.

14.JPG

13.jpg

12.jpg

12.jpg

I will post more pics tomorrow of how much the garden has grown and also of my strawberry garden, watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumbers, potato garden, my wife's garden, blueberry's etc.

For those that will ask yes the fencing cost me a lot of money but if you enjoy something then what is a few dollars. Plus over the long haul it will pay for itself and it looks so much cleaner and sturdier.

12 minutes ago, Petee said:

You did great!!  Again, may I ask permission to use these pictures?  The one with your granddaughter would take a written permission though.

yes you may. I will talk to her parents but I see no reason why they would not allow it.

Celery, onions do not look to bad considering this did not get planted until around the 15th of last month.  Onions and celery were way to late in this garden. My pothers garden she already started to eat her onions and celery.

The raised garden was so easy to plant. I just reached in with my hands and tilled the soil and then just added fertilizer and scooped a hole and planted. No muss, no fuss and no bending over.

The onions in my garden are pretty much ready to ring in. Basically just pull the dirt away from the bulb to let it grow. I am going to take a kitchen knife and bend it over to give me a little digging shovel.

24.JPG

23.JPG

22.JPG

21.JPG

Potatoes were eaten by the deer. They did not completely eat them to nothing but they sure did a number on them. Although I have heard of people who thin their potatoes out like this so who knows maybe this will help. The year before I put up my fencing the deer came through and ate the tops of my peppers off.  That was one of the best years I had for peppers. The grew back with a vengeance and produced lots of tasty peppers.

IMG_8454.JPG

Cucumbers, watermelon and cantaloupe.

I built a trellis, potato garden and strawberry garden like I did at my mothers. I just need to do some weed control here also. Next year they will lok a lot better.

IMG_8458.JPG

IMG_8457.JPG

Remind me next year and I'll send directions on how to create your own Bio Char.  Till then, find an Amish Farm and ask one of their kids to fill buckets with manure.  I provide the buckets and give the kids a buck a bucket.  Then stash it till spring.  Pick up a 50 pound bag of charcoal fines from Humphrey's in Brookville, and a bale of Pro Mix from DuBois feeds.  Properly prepared, you will never believe what it does for your garden!

Tilling a garden is never good for the soil, and if you prepare it once with this mix, you will never have to till again for any reason.  Your fertilizer and water needs go way down too.

Come to the Jefferson County Fair to see the Demonstration Gardens and check out the soil!

• 2 weeks later...

update on the garden. We need more sun and less rain that is for sure but all in all still not bad. Tomatoes are growing up the cattle panel with a little bit of help but looks like we can harvest easier this year without stepping on plants and tomatoes.

53.JPG

50.JPG

49.JPG

• 2 weeks later...