GoDuBois.com

Think Maybe This Is why Your Favorite Restaurants Don’t Have Full Staff?

A place several towns over have given us the wrong takeout food 5 out of 6 times since the pandemic. Hope that's ok to complain about. They were perfect before. I love cheese hoagies hate cheesesteak  hoagies and they cost more. They keep giving me cheesesteak. If I didn't  love the buns would go elsewhere. Only go there when the pizza place in Brookville  is closed, on Sundays. They are always wonderful.  Don't  know if I am allowed to give their name.

Customers being rude to wait staff has always been a problem, but not so much here in DuBois.  I have never seen anyone being out and out rude to a waitress.  Around here, we're used to not always having everything that we want in unlimited supply at the snap of a finger.  We can go out and find our own food if necessary, (but we so appreciate being able to sit down and have someone else do it for us) and we know that the waitress you are insulting today may someday be your neighbor or worse yet, her Daddy may hold the keys to your future.  

In larger towns, where you may never go back to that restaurant, and the waitress probably will never see you again, you can do anything and not suffer retribution for your meanness.

We went to the new Seafood Restaurant in town, and had to wait for almost 45 minutes for our dinner because the take out orders took first priority over the seated customers.  Will we go back?  Probably because the fish was excellent, and I'm not a fish lover.  I would however, like them to shut down one music source or the other.  Having two going at the same time is nerve racking.

We didn't blame it on the waitress because she was very nice.  The food is not her fault, it's the kitchen staff who don't get a tip anyway.

So go get a job!  And for those who are giving the handouts, remember that when you go out to eat and the restaurant doesn't have enough staff.

22 hours ago, Petee said:

In larger towns, where you may never go back to that restaurant, and the waitress probably will never see you again, you can do anything and not suffer retribution for your meanness.

Unless they spit in ur food 🤔 That is why no matter how bad the service is, we are always as polite as can be. I believe stuff like that's happens if you are rude to the wrong person.

MY 5 STAR REVIEW   MAXIAM BERRY FARM

today they had/let people park in their yard as close to their house as they could get.....always greeting you with a smile and asking if you need any help....free popcorn and coloring books to kids while parents picked. I had a few stupid questions and they went way above the simple answer of how many varieties are planted and their differences.  Nothing but a class A business...!!!!....great berries too!!! 

I've been quizzing the wait staff when we go out and explaining why I am asking questions. 

1.  They all say that it started long before COVID.  

2.  Locals are the rudest people and they come back!

3.  Travelers are the most polite and leave better tips.

4.  Tips are about the same as they have always been.  Note:  Employers are required to make up the difference between what the wait staff would make on minimum wage and what they make in tips.  If they're short then the employer pays the difference so a waiter always makes at least minimum wage.  If they make more, then they usually claim part of the cash and all of the tips given on credit cards.  If they work hard, then they always make more than minimum wage.  If you serve drunks, you make out big time!!!!  

5.  Yes, a few people stiff the waitress, but most tip fairly.

6.  Wait staff gets blamed for the kitchen's mistakes or the stupidity of the manager.  

7.  Be nice, give a good waitress a good tip!  She/he probably has kids.

It is definitely worse than ever.  I started waiting tables in 1978. I have worked with the public all these years. I have never seen people act the way they do now. If you don’t change the rules for them, they curse, scream, and flip the bird at employees who have no control over the rules. 

2 hours ago, Tiramisu said:

It is definitely worse than ever.  I started waiting tables in 1978. I have worked with the public all these years. I have never seen people act the way they do now. If you don’t change the rules for them, they curse, scream, and flip the bird at employees who have no control over the rules. 

I have 2 friends that were local life long servers.  Both have left the industry for all of the reasons you describe.  One is actually making less money now than when she was serving but says it's worth it her to not have to put up with the constant harassment.  

18 hours ago, WMJ77 said:

MY 5 STAR REVIEW   MAXIAM BERRY FARM

today they had/let people park in their yard as close to their house as they could get.....always greeting you with a smile and asking if you need any help....free popcorn and coloring books to kids while parents picked. I had a few stupid questions and they went way above the simple answer of how many varieties are planted and their differences.  Nothing but a class A business...!!!!....great berries too!!! 

I have been going there since they opened their gates. Its has grown. Great people.  Patrick is great.  This is the first time in many years I didnt get up at 530 to beat the crowd.  They have become that popular in this part of the state.IM getting too old and rickety. next year maybe Ill just order.

7 hours ago, Tiramisu said:

I agree about things getting worse over the decades, but not appreciably over the past year.  I think we just have noticed it more because of all the stressors we have gone through, and this government isn't helping!