GoDuBois.com

Gov.Wolf To Mandate Masks In K-12 Schools, Daycares

mr.d

Gov. Wolf to mandate masks in K-12 schools, daycares

by: MARC LEVY, MICHAEL RUBINKAM, MARK SCOLFORO, The Associated Press

Posted:  / Updated: 

SUBSCRIBE NOW
Breaking New

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Masks will be required in all Pennsylvania public and private schools, as well as child care facilities, Gov. Tom Wolf announced Tuesday, reversing course amid a statewide COVID-19 resurgence that is filling hospital beds just as students return to class.

The Department of Health order will take effect Tuesday, Sept. 7 — the day after Labor Day — and will require students, teachers and staff to wear masks when inside, according to two people briefed on the plan. The people were not authorized to release details ahead of an official announcement and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The order will not apply to student-athletes while they’re playing, the people said. One of the people said the masking order will apply to private as well as public schools and will also apply to child care facilities.

The Democratic governor took action after the Republican leaders of the House and Senate rejected his request to pass legislation requiring masks in classrooms. GOP lawmakers acknowledged that coronavirus cases are again surging across the state but insisted that local leaders were best positioned to respond to the pandemic.

The Pennsylvania School Boards Association said that the decision on masking should have been left to local school officials, but that it would nevertheless remind school districts “of their legal obligation related to the directive.”

“Our members remain committed to the health and safety of their students and staff, and while they have welcomed the expertise and guidance of state and federal agencies, they are in the best position to evaluate and promptly respond to the ever-evolving conditions in their own communities,” said Nathan Mains, the group’s chief executive officer.

Less than a month ago, Wolf had ruled out a statewide mask mandate for schools after requiring them last year. But the highly contagious delta variant of the coronavirus has changed the administration’s calculus about what is needed to keep students in class.

Rep. Jesse Topper, R-Bedford, said Tuesday that the 10 school districts he represents have worked up their own plans to mitigate COVID-19. He said the coming statewide mandate makes him “beyond furious.”

“If somehow they’re trying to find a way to take this away, that will be a breathtaking example of bureaucratic overreach,” said Topper, a senior member of the House Education Committee.

Pennsylvania is now averaging more than 3,200 new, confirmed infections daily — 20 times the number of cases it was reporting on a typical day in early July. More than 1,700 people are hospitalized with COVID-19, up sevenfold since last month. Deaths have doubled in two weeks to about 20 per day.

Pennsylvania’s two statewide teachers unions had urged K-12 schools to require masks in school buildings, citing delta’s threat. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends masks in schools for students, staff and teachers.

But masking is a highly contentious issue, and school board meetings have been the scene of heated debate as parents argue for and against. Last week, parents of special needs children sued a suburban Philadelphia school board that refused to mandate masks.

Some schools have reimposed mask mandates on their own after starting out the year without them.

The North Schuylkill School District began requiring masks indoors after it was forced to quarantine 60 students. It said only 11 students would have needed to quarantine if masking had been in place.

___

Rubinkam reported from northeastern Pennsylvania.                                                                                                                                                                                        SEE VIDEO    ;   https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/regional-news/pennsylvania-to-mandate-masks-in-k-12-schools-day-cares/

• mr.d changed the title to Gov.Wolf To Mandate Masks In K-12 Schools, Daycares

well masks do not work.  This is never going away. Especially when they vaccinate and mask up.

Do the research people. Many doctors are saying the vaccinations helped create the new strain.

Most people are surviving this.

They cannot even cure the common cold they definitely wont cure this it would not benefit their agenda.

45 minutes ago, Gator11 said:

well masks do not work.  This is never going away. Especially when they vaccinate and mask up.

Do the research people. Many doctors are saying the vaccinations helped create the new strain.

They cannot even cure the common cold they definitely wont cure this it would not benefit their agenda.

But Big Pharma cashes in

9 hours ago, Gator11 said:

Actually Wolf cannot mandate anything.  They had the secretary of health do it but he is not an elected official he was appointed so the mandate means nothing and the schools do not have to enforce it.

Maybe right but our school board will do exactly as told because they get funding from the state. The school board has no spine of their own.

On 8/31/2021 at 4:58 PM, Gator11 said:

This probably is true. it's like antibiotics in a way. Keeping the original strain of a virus or bacteria from reproducing allows for the proliferation of a mutant strain. The mutant strain may or may not be sensitive to the vaccine. This is why they can't come up with a vaccine for the common cold or a single flu vaccine. My doctor told me that this the problem with a vaccine for Lyme Disease as well. Haven't checked that but I'll believe him until I find out otherwise. 

8 hours ago, jaman said:

Saw a study tonite. Cloth masks do not protect from getting it from some body else.  Surgical masks have a 20-25% sucess rate.

Not sure what study you saw.  But those are similar results to the Danish study linked in my post and that was completed a year ago.  

Oh and while I'm on the covid subject, a letter was published this week in the New England Journal of Medicine (https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2112981) about a study of 19k San Diego healthcare workers where VACCINATED AND UNVACCINATED WERE JUST AS LIKELY TO BE SYMPTOMATIC.  Remember, vaccines work and you MUST be fully vaccinated....oh and don't forget your booster.

On 8/31/2021 at 4:58 PM, Gator11 said:

Allow me to correct you, if I may.  "AN OVERWHELMING AMOUNT OF PEOPLE ARE SURVIVING THIS."  

Taking it a step further, "An overwhelming amount of people are not being admitted to the hospital over this."

30 minutes ago, Cacao said:

Allow me to correct you, if I may.  "AN OVERWHELMING AMOUNT OF PEOPLE ARE SURVIVING THIS."  

Taking it a step further, "An overwhelming amount of people are not being admitted to the hospital over this."

I just commented about this the other day.  While the COVID numbers are surging in PA, the hospital admit numbers are not.  That's the number I pay attention to.  How many are sick enough to require hospital attention?  I've done the same thing with the flu for years.  

4 minutes ago, MIM307 said:

I just commented about this the other day.  While the COVID numbers are surging in PA, the hospital admit numbers are not.  That's the number I pay attention to.  How many are sick enough to require hospital attention?  I've done the same thing with the flu for years.  

Cases, cases, cases...it's all about cases.  We're all a bunch of cases, either current cases or potential cases.  The media and idiot politicians what you to focus only on cases and THEIR scientist for information.  Very wise of you to focus on hospitalizations.

2 hours ago, MIM307 said:

Yes because a lot of people who have it aren't even sick but are In those numbers.