GoDuBois.com

What are you seeing of Starting wages in the Local Area?

jaman

12 minutes ago, Petee said:

Yet they're still having trouble getting steady workers who show up and continue to show up.

One of the biggest reasons I'm leaving this area. Can't stand the people of our community anymore. Either they are all drugged up or to stuck up to say hello. The sun is shining where my new journey will begin and the dark days will stay behind. 

1 hour ago, NoRights said:

One of the biggest reasons I'm leaving this area. Can't stand the people of our community anymore. Either they are all drugged up or to stuck up to say hello. The sun is shining where my new journey will begin and the dark days will stay behind. 

Hello and sorry to hear you are leaving. You are right on both counts though although not everyone is stuck up just a select few. Most people in the area are great people and you will find the same situations no matter where you go I am afraid. Yes we do have a drug problem in the area but so do most places anymore

That does remind me of a story. I worked with a guy who had worked in HR where I was employed and saw him at KMart back in the day and said hello and was goiing to ask him how he had been, well he always thought he was above anyone else but then again there are a lot from Brockway who think that way. Anyway I said hello and he more or less ignored me.

I proceeded to turn around and follow him carrying on a conversation with him well a conversation with myself really. People who might have seen me would have thought I had split personalities and was hearing voices. haha I started with hello and then I answered for him. Hi how are you doing. Not bad and yourself well couldn't be better and so forth. My wife called me an ass. I then was in the next aisle hollering over to him and still doing it. I enjoyed myself and I am sure he was pissed but I did not care he could have at least said hello.

Moral of the story, well ahem I can be an ass.

10 minutes ago, Gator11 said:

Hello and sorry to hear you are leaving. You are right on both counts though although not everyone is stuck up just a select few. Most people in the area are great people and you will find the same situations no matter where you go I am afraid. Yes we do have a drug problem in the area but so do most places anymore

That does remind me of a story. I worked with a guy who was in HR where I worked and saw him at KMart back in the day and said hello well he always thought he was above anyone else but then again there are a lot from Brockway who think that way. Anyway I said hello and he more or less ignored me.

I proceeded to turn around and follow him carrying on a conversation with him. I started with hello and then I answered for him. Hi how are you doing. Not bad and yourself well couldn't be better and so forth. My wife called me an ass. I then was in the next aisle hollering over to him and still doing it. I enjoyed myself and I am sure he was pissed but I did not care he could have at least said hello.

HR, the worse thing that has ever happened to honest qualified people and the company that pays them.

2 hours ago, Gator11 said:

That does remind me of a story. I worked with a guy who had worked in HR where I was employed and saw him at KMart back in the day and said hello and was goiing to ask him how he had been, well he always thought he was above anyone else but then again there are a lot from Brockway who think that way. Anyway I said hello and he more or less ignored me.

I proceeded to turn around and follow him carrying on a conversation with him well a conversation with myself really. People who might have seen me would have thought I had split personalities and was hearing voices. haha I started with hello and then I answered for him. Hi how are you doing. Not bad and yourself well couldn't be better and so forth. My wife called me an ass. I then was in the next aisle hollering over to him and still doing it. I enjoyed myself and I am sure he was pissed but I did not care he could have at least said hello.

I'm with you.

2 hours ago, fedup said:

HR, the worse thing that has ever happened to honest qualified people and the company that pays them.

Human Resources job description: 

• Protect management from employees.
  • Report any legitimate complaints to management for possible employee firing.
  • Protect their jobs from being eliminated at all cost.
  • Organize company picnics/Xmas parties.
  • Biggest waste of corporate profits.

17 hours ago, Gator11 said:

I think it will be a better path to take then up here. If my brother can go from nothing to an engineer I think if I stick to my plan I'll go farther than ever before. Plus this cold is getting to be to much for me and I can't take shoveling snow anymore haha. Time to do it for me. 

Guest oldasdirt

i can appreciate Basset3 on target description of HR! One thing i keep hearing in defense of companies struggling to get and retain qualified employees is how they are treated once hired, a few local places have a huge reputation of mistreatment of employees....ridiculous time standards that if you are 1% down for the day or week...it is a write up. On another social media format, one of the 'selling' points is great union benefits. From what i understand, this particular union does nothing at all but take union dues and side with the employer in 95% of situations....unless you happen to be one of the "Good Ole Boys"

21 hours ago, NoRights said:

People aren't that much much better or worse no matter where you go.  If you walk around viewing everybody else, as stuck up or a drug addict, except your self, chances are pretty good that viewpoint will carryover with you no matter where you happen to go.  Sure, you must go to places to increase your employment oppotunities and follow your goals and dreams, but ultimately it is the people you will meet who will make every thing worthwhile.  Remember, for every person you think is a jerk, there is a person that thinks the same of you.

To paraphrase and slightly alter Erma Bombeck...The grass may look greener on the other side of the fence, but it is probably because the septic tank is leaking.

1 hour ago, Guest oldasdirt said:

On another social media format, one of the 'selling' points is great union benefits. From what i understand, this particular union does nothing at all but take union dues and side with the employer in 95% of situations....unless you happen to be one of the "Good Ole Boys"

I have never experienced a union that did not run this way.  

19 hours ago, fedup said:

When companies changed from 'Personnel Department' to 'Human Resources' is signaled that companies saw employees as no different than any other supply item or widget.   The word human essentially dehumanizes employees and further distances the company and administrators from the workers.

7 hours ago, Illiterate said:

People aren't that much much better or worse no matter where you go.  If you walk around viewing everybody else, as stuck up or a drug addict, except your self, chances are pretty good that viewpoint will carryover with you no matter where you happen to go.  Sure, you must go to places to increase your employment oppotunities and follow your goals and dreams, but ultimately it is the people you will meet who will make every thing worthwhile.  Remember, for every person you think is a jerk, there is a person that thinks the same of you.

To paraphrase and slightly alter Erma Bombeck...The grass may look greener on the other side of the fence, but it is probably because the septic tank is leaking.

I agree. Guess I've been here to long and seen to much of it here. I want to progress and maybe one day come back and make a positive change. I can not do it atm because my plan to better myself can't start till I'm away from the negative that I endeavored into my life here. Change from what i once knew as a happiness has echoed into a dark silence. The only brightness I have in my life is away from this area and into a better future. Plus I can't stand the cold anymore. 

19 hours ago, NoRights said:

I agree. Guess I've been here to long and seen to much of it here. I want to progress and maybe one day come back and make a positive change. I can not do it atm because my plan to better myself can't start till I'm away from the negative that I endeavored into my life here. Change from what i once knew as a happiness has echoed into a dark silence. The only brightness I have in my life is away from this area and into a better future. Plus I can't stand the cold anymore. 

I commend you for relocating and starting over in a new venue.  I have a relative who did the same.  There were various factors involved as to why they moved, but being here in this area was no longer a good thing.  They moved South and found some great opportunities along the way and did very well!  The weather is better and there is more sunshine!  There are new people to meet, and job opportunities abound right now!  Strike while the fire is hot!  Best wishes!

10 minutes ago, Polo said:

I commend you for relocating and starting over in a new venue.  I have a relative who did the same.  There were various factors involved as to why they moved, but being here in this area was no longer a good thing.  They moved South and found some great opportunities along the way and did very well!  The weather is better and there is more sunshine!  There are new people to meet, and job opportunities abound right now!  Strike while the fire is hot!  Best wishes!

Thank you for ur kind words. I'm glad someone understands and with great opportunities there is great success that follows. So I'm ready and beyond excited for my new endeavor. 

Starting wage is important. One must also ask about extra benefits. 

Before we were married my wife, who is self employed, was paying 400 a month for health insurance. 

I'm fortunate. My company does not require any payment from me for insurance other than co payments and deductibles.