GoDuBois.com

Grocery Stores

I've been banging this drum since May/June.  I work for a major Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) manufacturer and have spent countless hours working on supply chain issues and I don't work in supply chain.  Regardless of what the news says, here's the problems:  

• Manufacturers, like other industries, offered early retirement at the beginning of the pandemic.  Many took.  Then the Gov't made it easier for the rest to stay home.  Which they did.  Now there's a labor shortage.
  • Production facilities shut lines down when a couple folks test positive for covid.  Nearly impossible to make up for lost production when lines are constantly being shut down.
  • Material/Ingredients has been hard to get.  If it comes from overseas, it's being held up in origin country or at our border.  If it comes domestically, see bullet point above.
  • Transportation.  Trucking industry has a HUGE hole in it.  Driver shortage.  For every 50 loads, there is 1 driver.
  • Striking Workers.  Kelloggs, Frito-Lay, & Nabisco are currently striking, Mondelez was striking.  This sent major disruptions through the network...and they continue today.  Many of these manufactures make store brand/private label items as well.
  • Covid Mandate.  Nearly all CPG manufacturers are mandating covid vaccination.  A percentage have left the job because of this.  With all of the above, a small percentage leaving is only magnified.  
  • Inflation.  Retailers are not buying as much because manufacturers were forced to increase their prices thanks to the Biden Administration driving inflation by printing money and increased regulation. 

My recommendation...if you haven't already started shopping for your Thanksgiving dinner, you have better get on that IMMEDIATELY.  Christmas too.  I am in the "know" on several popular brands/items and have already warned my family.  Christmas gifts...this would be a great year to shop local and only buy things retailers have on hand because you might be waiting until Valentine's day.

1 hour ago, Cacao said:

I've been banging this drum since May/June.  I work for a major Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) manufacturer and have spent countless hours working on supply chain issues and I don't work in supply chain.  Regardless of what the news says, here's the problems:  

• Manufacturers, like other industries, offered early retirement at the beginning of the pandemic.  Many took.  Then the Gov't made it easier for the rest to stay home.  Which they did.  Now there's a labor shortage.
  • Production facilities shut lines down when a couple folks test positive for covid.  Nearly impossible to make up for lost production when lines are constantly being shut down.
  • Material/Ingredients has been hard to get.  If it comes from overseas, it's being held up in origin country or at our border.  If it comes domestically, see bullet point above.
  • Transportation.  Trucking industry has a HUGE hole in it.  Driver shortage.  For every 50 loads, there is 1 driver.
  • Striking Workers.  Kelloggs, Frito-Lay, & Nabisco are currently striking, Mondelez was striking.  This sent major disruptions through the network...and they continue today.  Many of these manufactures make store brand/private label items as well.
  • Covid Mandate.  Nearly all CPG manufacturers are mandating covid vaccination.  A percentage have left the job because of this.  With all of the above, a small percentage leaving is only magnified.  
  • Inflation.  Retailers are not buying as much because manufacturers were forced to increase their prices thanks to the Biden Administration driving inflation by printing money and increased regulation. 

My recommendation...if you haven't already started shopping for your Thanksgiving dinner, you have better get on that IMMEDIATELY.  Christmas too.  I am in the "know" on several popular brands/items and have already warned my family.  Christmas gifts...this would be a great year to shop local and only buy things retailers have on hand because you might be waiting until Valentine's day.

Excellent post.

You could have taken a short cut and just said " your life is gonna suck because of the Liberals"

4 hours ago, Cacao said:

Unbelievable. These people are striking.