GoDuBois.com

Clarion University To Be Renamed Pennsylvania Western University-Clarion

mr.d

BREAKING NEWS: Clarion University to Be Renamed Pennsylvania Western University – Clarion

Thursday, October 14, 2021 @ 12:10 PM

Posted by Leon Aristeguieta

imageHARRISBURG, Pa. (EYT) – Goodbye, Clarion University of Pennsylvania. Hello, Pennsylvania Western University.

During their regular meeting October 14, the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Board of Governors approved the name change for the new, integrated university composed of Clarion, Edinboro University and California University.

“Naming has been a thoughtful and data driven process,” said current Interim President of Clarion, Edinboro and California, Dr. Dale-Elizabeth Pehrsson. “One name stood out amongst the rest.”

Pehrsson explained the naming process involved consultations with students, faculty, staff, alumni and other stakeholders from all three universities, as well as much market research.

Additionally, Pehrsson stated internet research was crucial to deciding the name.

“We know that most students start their search for college online,” she said. “A search engine analysis was important and critical to our process.”

The name change is due to take effect next fall.

Pehrsson said each campus will retain the identifying city portion of its original name.

“The campuses names will stand out and be unique. Pennsylvania Western University – California. Pennsylvania Western University – Clarion, Pennsylvania Western University – Edinboro,” she said.

For branding, students at each of the three campuses will get to vote for what goes on the new university’s merchandise.

“It speaks of the hardy region we all serve. It is a strong state name, and it is a state university,” said Pehrsson.

Stay with EXPLORE for continuous coverage of this Breaking News story.

12 hours ago, jaman said:

Once again. Liberal ridiculousness. 

How is 3 universities consolidating into 1 Liberal Ridiculousness??  Hopefully this move, and the consolidation of Bloomsburg, Mansfield, and Lock Haven in eastern PA, will save money and keep state schools affordable to students.

https://whyy.org/articles/pa-moves-forward-on-plan-to-merge-6-state-universities-into-2/

I still don't understand why.  Couldn't they of kept the university names and merged?  Let's be honest, internally and externally, they will be referred by their current names.  This seems like a waste of money.  Imagine how much they spent on this...the marketing firm, graphic design, PR, letterhead, etc.  

As long as students are still getting a good education, I don't care what the name of the college is.  We need to be thankful these universities didn't close their doors.  This day in age, its a blessing that they can still remain open and offer the careers they do.  I used to work for college that had to close to due accreditation trouble, which was no fault of its own.  The government cracked down on private institutions and that college got caught in the fray.  So unfair.  Broke my heart.  What that college offered for the area was golden.  Now its gone.  So sad.  So we need to be thankful these other institutions will continue to exist!

29 minutes ago, Polo said:

As long as students are still getting a good education, I don't care what the name of the college is.  We need to be thankful these universities didn't close their doors.  This day in age, its a blessing that they can still remain open and offer the careers they do.  I used to work for college that had to close to due accreditation trouble, which was no fault of its own.  The government cracked down on private institutions and that college got caught in the fray.  So unfair.  Broke my heart.  What that college offered for the area was golden.  Now its gone.  So sad.  So we need to be thankful these other institutions will continue to exist!

I read where the state system lost another 5,000 students.

2 hours ago, MIM307 said:

How is 3 universities consolidating into 1 Liberal Ridiculousness??  Hopefully this move, and the consolidation of Bloomsburg, Mansfield, and Lock Haven in eastern PA, will save money and keep state schools affordable to students.

https://whyy.org/articles/pa-moves-forward-on-plan-to-merge-6-state-universities-into-2/

No problem with the merging. I agree on that. But the names should just stay. They have identity. No Western, Northern, Southern......  No originality.  Its a copy of the Penn State Campus system.

2 hours ago, jaman said:

No problem with the merging. I agree on that. But the names should just stay. They have identity. No Western, Northern, Southern......  No originality.  Its a copy of the Penn State Campus system.

Okay I can understand that thought process and I agree, names should stay the same.    How is the 3 merging universities deciding to rename themselves "Liberal Ridiculousness"?  It might be ridiculous, or unnecessary, but it's certainly not politically motivated.  

2 hours ago, allboys said:

What does it matter if you have already graduated?

I can't answer for Sunflake, but for me it matters because of school pride.  I'm a Bloomsburg alumna.  I chose Bloomsburg for my college, not Lock Haven nor Mansfield.  There's a certain identity and pride and attached to that decision that will be lost with the consolidation.

That being said, I also recognize that if the state schools are going to remain affordable for all then changes need to be made.  I support the move to regionalizing campuses but as a graduate, I'm still a little sad.  

3 hours ago, MIM307 said:

I can't answer for Sunflake, but for me it matters because of school pride.  I'm a Bloomsburg alumna.  I chose Bloomsburg for my college, not Lock Haven nor Mansfield.  There's a certain identity and pride and attached to that decision that will be lost with the consolidation.

That being said, I also recognize that if the state schools are going to remain affordable for all then changes need to be made.  I support the move to regionalizing campuses but as a graduate, I'm still a little sad.  

Ok. I can see that.  I am not sentimental.  I graduated from Clarion. I don't care what they call themselves now, as long as my diploma is still valid.

5 hours ago, MIM307 said:

Exactly.  I loved my years at CLARION.  School Pride exactly.  Maybe we should ask for a new diploma, that states our new status.  Seriously, I am a little sad as well..