• LOW PRICES

Coyote Attack Leaves Dog Injured For Second Time In DuBois

mr.d

Coyote attack leaves dog injured for second time in less than a year

by: Alyssa Royster

Posted:  / Updated: 

SUBSCRIBE NOW
Breaking News

CLEARFIELD COUNTY, Pa. (WTAJ) – Chihuahua-mix Squirt can’t seem to catch a break over at the Shick’s house in DuBois. For the second time in less than a year, she’s been viciously attacked by a coyote.

According to owner Jenny Shick, it happened around 11 p.m. when she let Squirt and their other dog Journey outside one last time before bed. While waiting for them to use the bathroom, Jenny heard a cry from Squirt.

“And I thought it can’t, it can’t be happening again,” said Jenny.

Jenny says she called out for the dogs in the darkness, but instead of two animals coming towards her, she saw three.

“Squirt came running, and then Journey came to my left and the coyote came slowly up to my right and it wasn’t afraid of me. And it was nearly as big as Journey,” said Jenny.

To make it afraid she yelled at the coyote telling it to go away.

“And then it ran away,” said Jenny.

Jenny wouldn’t see the damage done until everyone got back inside the house safely.

“Blood was dripping down all on the floor so I wrapped her up and off we went to State College again…really fast,” said Jenny.

Squirt suffered from 4 puncture wounds, but thankfully this time around, she wouldn’t need any surgery.

The Shick’s say they’re lucky yet again, but know that luck will only go so far; which is why they want to alert their community to be aware.

“It’s pretty stressful when that happens ya know especially to people who really like animals,” said owner Joe Shick.

To help keep any more coyotes away, Joe says they’ve added a trap, flood lights on the deck, are now leashing the dogs, as well as making sure to have some sort of noise playing. 

“They say if you have a radio playing that sometimes scares a way so I have a radio up on the deck and we turn it on when we go out plus the spotlights so we’re taking some precautions,” listed Joe.

According to wildlifehelp.org, other ways to protect your pets from coyotes are to:

• Keep cats indoors and dogs leashed and supervised whenever outside, especially at night
  • A coyote-proof kennel or fence (6-foot high fencing with the bottom extending two feet underground, to prevent digging) provides the best protection for pets
  • Keep dogs leashed and stay in open, well-lit areas
  • Light your yard when pets are outside.
  • Store pet food indoors or at least in a coyote-proof container
  • Avoid areas frequented by coyotes or that are known den sites
  • If followed or approached by a coyote, get your pet safely inside but do not run or turn your back. If you can’t go inside, act aggressively by shouting, waving your arms, or throwing objects to reinforce the threat. Carrying an air-horn or pepper spray may be considered for those seeking further protection.
  • Screen off openings under sheds and decks using sturdy galvanized wire or hardware cloth attached to the lower edge then buried underground, slanting outward 1 to 2 feet
  • Supervise small pets when outside and walk dogs on a leash. Cats should be kept indoors and not allowed to roam free. In rare instances, larger dogs can be viewed as a threat particularly from January to June during mating and pup rearing seasons.

As for Squirt, the Shick’s say she’s doing well, and getting right back to her feisty self.

“She’s like a dog with 9 lives,” laughed Joe.                                                                                                                                                                              SEE VIDEO REPORT    ;     https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/coyote-attack-leaves-dog-injured-for-second-time-in-less-than-a-year/

There are 4-6 coyotes living in the woods behind my house.  They howl in the middle of the night and when the fire whistles blow.  Eerie kind of howl.  My neighbors and I have been hunting them for 3 years now.  We have only been fortunately to kill 1.  They are tough to find.  Have the colored lights and have gone out at all hours too.

The air horn is a great idea, because if the coyote attacks the human, then anyone in the area would know there is a problem and come to help.

If you know where the den is, then ask hunters to come in and get them.  There are also local trappers who might want to deal with them.

Squirt Update:

Thanks to all for your concern. Special thanks to Allyssa Royster of WTAJ News for her report. (Emails to local newspaper and radio station did not receive a response)
Also a big thanks to local trapper  who successfully trapped a coyote not to far from our house early this morning. Hopefully there will be more to trap as there seems to be a large pack in the area.

Less than a week from her attack, Squirt is doing amazingly good.

About the only thing hurting is my wallet after shelling out over $1000 in vet bills this time.  Fortunately she didn't need emergency surgery that cost over $4500 the first time she was attacked.

10 hours ago, Joseshic said:

Squirt Update:

Thanks to all for your concern. Special thanks to Allyssa Royster of WTAJ News for her report. (Emails to local newspaper and radio station did not receive a response)
Also a big thanks to local trapper  who successfully trapped a coyote not to far from our house early this morning. Hopefully there will be more to trap as there seems to be a large pack in the area.

Less than a week from her attack, Squirt is doing amazingly good.

About the only thing hurting is my wallet after shelling out over $1000 in vet bills this time.  Fortunately she didn't need emergency surgery that cost over $4500 the first time she was attacked.

I’m glad Squirt is doing so much better!! I hope you told her that one of those vicious scrappy dogs bit the dust this morning & won’t be after her anymore!!

I couldn't get an emergency appointment anywhere in our area so I called State College who couldn't give me an appointment till 2 days later, and even if it was an appointment, it was $600 in the door, and another $200 for tests.  

We kept him comfortable but he died two days later.

13 hours ago, Lyndsey33 said:

Oh yes. They are good but the emergency vet in St College is pricy.sorry for the loss of your pet.

Thank you.  It was hardest to watch him suffer and there was nothing we could do for him but comfort him.  He was a talker and tried his best to repeat words that were said to him regularly.  We had a lady visiting, and she said that he said "hello" to her when she came down the driveway.  We hadn't even told her that he talked!  

On 11/23/2021 at 9:11 AM, Cacao said:

There are 4-6 coyotes living in the woods behind my house.  They howl in the middle of the night and when the fire whistles blow.  Eerie kind of howl.  My neighbors and I have been hunting them for 3 years now.  We have only been fortunately to kill 1.  They are tough to find.  Have the colored lights and have gone out at all hours too.

they are hard to find!!! .... see if you can find hunters with dogs, maybe contact mosquito creek hunting club, they would love to help you    they are in frenchville

We have coyotes that I can hear any time from 11pm - 2am between Hollywood & Tyler. Our Pomeranian is afraid to go out at night if she hears them. Something has been peeing in our yard the last 2 years & it stinks!! My chihuahua loves to roll in it :arghh: It looks like someone took oil & spilled it different area’s. We are thinking a 🦊 but maybe a coyote. Maybe one of you know the answer.