GoDuBois.com
  • LOW PRICES
  • LOW PRICES
  • LOW PRICES

BS calls and verizons great help

WMJ77

the last 2 days I have been called 5 times from some bogus medical group(I know they are bogus because it comes up amer. express, some from clairiton, some just a service number) I tried to politely ask them to remove me from their call list yesterday, and recieved a 2nd call 10 mins later....there was no politeness involved...click

today 145 get a call again, told them to remove me and the next person will hear a whole lot of nasty from me..click......153...bingo......click.....

so I called verizon...oh I am on do not call lists....I have the times and numbers and is there anything they can do to stop them...they said they could put a spam blocker on but BUT didnt know if I had to pay extra for it.....I think I will just cancel my ph number (land line) save myself some grief and $60 a mth           rant over.....the next call will be epic :yes::arghh:

Interstate and toll phone calls COST Verizon, any other telco, and long distance carriers - same with the call time if actually locally made.

These calls are all spoofed illegal, and most often from abroad(India is the greatest source).  The ones that are made within the USA originate from CLEC providers, not actual telephone companies.   There is really very little that a phone company can do about them.  They aren't getting paid for them, they are losing money because of them.

What most phone companies are doing since that law was signed in during Trump's administration is tally up similar robo/spam calls from a source, and when it meets a threshold - they cut that source off.   The problem with that is the CLEC or spoofed source is the primary participant to cut off that activity.   A call made in India on a spoofed number will appear to originate at a US based phone number, but that phone company will have no record of it.  And with the CLEC's being paid for such things, they have no interest in reporting/blocking.  (practically all 3rd party bill collectors and most telephone sales businesses use a CLEC)

I'm on PA's and the US Govt Do Not Call list, and still get these calls.

AT&T Wireless has a free spam blocker, but it too doesn't get them all.  The ones that do get through are often Caller ID as Spam, or some spoofed number from the state your phone is registered in.  With my phone being registered in WV, most spam calls have a spoofed WV number and when you do talk to the person they have a thick Indian accent and you can here others with same accent in the background.

3 hours ago, dubois_15801 said:

What I recommend for cellular smart phones is down load one of the free call blockers.  You will have to block the offending phone number manually, but that phone number, real or spoofed, will not ring your phone again.

Good to know Verizon is not involved.  Is there a limit to numbers we can block?

We got new AT&T phones recently and there is a call blocker on them. Spam calls are blocked and all other callers have to announce their name. You then have the option of picking up or not. If you program in a friends number this feature is eliminated. Very few calls get through and none of them are from India. No more men who barely speak English telling me that their name is "Mike."  I highly recommend these phones. 

35 minutes ago, Hostofchucks said:

We have to have a land line as internet is dsl. We turn ringer off and check the answering machine, a few leave messages but most don’t. Most everyone we know uses our cell numbers.

We have a landline we never answer and check the messages about once a month. I don't know why we have it honestly. 

We use our cell phones but I have no voicemail on my cell so they better text if I don't answer. 

3 hours ago, lavender said:

We got new AT&T phones recently and there is a call blocker on them. Spam calls are blocked and all other callers have to announce their name. You then have the option of picking up or not. If you program in a friends number this feature is eliminated. Very few calls get through and none of them are from India. No more men who barely speak English telling me that their name is "Mike."  I highly recommend these phones. 

Yes, I got these phones also...works great!  worth the money to buy the phones

8 hours ago, sunflake said:

Good to know Verizon is not involved.  Is there a limit to numbers we can block?

On the free call blocker app that I have on my phone - I've yet to run into a limit.  I'm well into the hundreds, if not thousands of blocked numbers.

7 hours ago, WMJ77 said:

these are coming in on my landline.....yes I still have one, not sure why though.....my cell blocks really well and my google assist works pretty good at screening calls

Unfortunately, I don't have a recommendation for landlines. 

2 hours ago, dubois_15801 said:

On the free call blocker app that I have on my phone - I've yet to run into a limit.  I'm well into the hundreds, if not thousands of blocked numbers.

Do you have to block them manually or does the app block them? I can block numbers on the cell phone but the same spammers just keep switching numbers. It's an unending nuisance. 

1 hour ago, lavender said:

Do you have to block them manually or does the app block them? I can block numbers on the cell phone but the same spammers just keep switching numbers. It's an unending nuisance. 

Practically all of them require you to block them manually.  Yes, they keep switching numbers.

Number one rule. DO NOT ANSWER. Let your voice mail answer it then block that number.

99% of the calls I get comes from the 814 area code. I live in a 850 area code in Florida.

These people SUCK 

Have you noticed all the extended warranty commercials on TV?

7 hours ago, fedup said:

Number one rule. DO NOT ANSWER. Let your voice mail answer it then block that number.

99% of the calls I get comes from the 814 area code. I live in a 850 area code in Florida.

These people SUCK 

Have you noticed all the extended warranty commercials on TV?

Yep, they tend to spoof numbers of the state in which they are trying to spam-call.

I get primarily WV calls because I have a WV cell#.  The old lady and kid get PA calls, being they have PA#'s.  The spam/fraudulent callers don't care if your are on Do Not Call lists because there is a low chance of being caught.  To trace even one of those spoofed calls you must have assistance from each phone company that the call comes through, which often requires a warrant for that specific action in each state/jurisdiction.   Now try to coordinate a trace back from local phone company, thru local long distance to a hub, thru an interstate long distance to a point of entry(if call truly originates abroad), then thru an international carrier, then thru the carriers/phone companies of all other countries that the call goes through.  .....it takes an act of Congress and 6 of gods of your choosing.

6 hours ago, dubois_15801 said:

Yep, they tend to spoof numbers of the state in which they are trying to spam-call.

I get primarily WV calls because I have a WV cell#.  The old lady and kid get PA calls, being they have PA#'s.  The spam/fraudulent callers don't care if your are on Do Not Call lists because there is a low chance of being caught.  To trace even one of those spoofed calls you must have assistance from each phone company that the call comes through, which often requires a warrant for that specific action in each state/jurisdiction.   Now try to coordinate a trace back from local phone company, thru local long distance to a hub, thru an interstate long distance to a point of entry(if call truly originates abroad), then thru an international carrier, then thru the carriers/phone companies of all other countries that the call goes through.  .....it takes an act of Congress and 6 of gods of your choosing.

Solution to the problem..

Work hard to find 6 of them and hang them. 

The rest will go find a real job.

Yes, if a call is tried several times to your phone and always gets "no answer" they will tend to avoid spending the time trying to contact you and eventually you fall off of their call list.  If you answer even once, they know it's an active line and they'll call even more frequently.

1 hour ago, Petee said:

Yes, if a call is tried several times to your phone and always gets "no answer" they will tend to avoid spending the time trying to contact you and eventually you fall off of their call list.  If you answer even once, they know it's an active line and they'll call even more frequently.

That doesn't work with robo calling.  It isn't a human doing the dialing, it is a computer.  For example, they load 814-375-0000 to 814-375-9999 into the system to call, then let it loose.  

The only when to stop is it execute the people who start up such "businesses".   If they are caught and shut down, they do the same thing over and over again.  It is notorious in India.

It seems to work for us for some reason.  

Yes, I had a guy calling from Florida who called for over a year under different aliases and who got to be threatening.  I called the phone company and kept track of the numbers he used for quite a bit of time and eventually they shut him down.  

I also had a stalker years ago which lasted for several years.  I had a regular book of stuff I kept track of and the police put me out on three different stake outs.  They finally nailed him and sent him to prison using another woman's info.  It's kind of fun to be the stalker of a stalker! :rofl:

3 hours ago, Gator11 said:

I never answer any calls even from people I know LOL So no spam for me. The spammers call and since they get a machine each time they finally give up. So I get very few spam calls now.

:10::good:

whats funny is, I was watching youtube vids on spammers/scammers getting their files deleted by scammer payback...he was dealing with amazon refund scams....guess who called me ...yep amazon telling me someone in ohio ordered $1200. phone and if it wasnt me I need to call ....lol.....I thought about playing the video so they could hear it